• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

R2's Next AR-10 SASS

Rsquared

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I picked up the new scope today. I've gotta say, I'm impressed. The Steiner glass seems every bit as clear and razor sharp as the Nightforce. Now granted, they're both in the same price range, so one would hope that they would be comparable in quality, fit and finish. Of course, we won't really know until it starts getting some operational time put under it's belt. Alas....that probably won't happen until the fall shoot more than likely. I mean, I intend to take the rifle out and perform a full function test on it. But that's about where it'll stop. The gun club that I belong to only has a 100 yard range. So the most I'll be able to do is zero the damn thing for that. She won't be able to stretch her legs until I get her out into the SDTF in the fall.

So, for now, a couple of parting shots of her wearing the new optic. Then, she's gonna get boxed up and sent to the DEWS for her paint job. That's to be done totally at his leisure. No hurry. Obviously since beggars can't be choosy. :lmao: Hell, for that matter, if he ends up just keeping it until the fall shoot, that'll be fine too. I'll just have to adjust my shipping container that I use for weapons transport on airlines to expect a +1 on the return trip. :laffs:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Enough with the jabber jawing. I know. Here come's a final couple of pics. Then we'll close this thread out for a while.

Here she is on the bench. Just finished fitting the optic onto her.

1911147841_New10SASS25.thumb.jpg.c771bbfb502691be4f8622ddd413b22d.jpg

Here's the other profile.

476903464_New10SASS28.thumb.jpg.6a5e051e7db0a8326a1eb29302e45995.jpg

And one of her in a darkened room, silhouetted by light behind her.

1766574467_New10SASS29.thumb.jpg.3a0bc333d7862c6eef460ff5e29f5475.jpg

Okay ladies. That's about it for this one. I'll probably circle back (not Psaki style) after she gets painted and post a final couple of pics of her.

As you were.

Carry on.

5 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Looking forward to being there to see that 

You better be there fuker. I'm looking forward to having a drink with you. Hell.....you, Mike (Magwa) and Roman. Yes....even fukin Roman :laffs:. Which ever one of you is the wheel man doesn't make a difference. Just get there.

3 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

Another bueaty brother 🍺🍺

And you're another one. I wanna see your ass out at the SDTF sometime soon. Otherwise, I'm just gonna have to invade your neighborhood sometime over a long weekend. Just to fuk with you and the old lady.

And drink of course. :laffs:

Damn, brother, that gun came out nice - VERY nice! :hail::thumbup:

I can't wait to strip it all down and put the Cerakote to it...   :laffs:

The optic will stay in the mount, but the mount will come off the gun.  Everything else gets taken apart. 

• 2 weeks later...

You're the expert on that one brother. I wouldn't even consider second guessing anything you do to it. I've just gotta get that bitch boxed up and shipped out.

I'm in the process of recovering from A, the glass.....B, taxes....and C, I've gotta get the windshield in my truck replaced before officer friendly decides to pull me over for an inspection ticket. Ha

Take your time - it only (really) takes about 48 hours to complete everything.  Day 1 and Day 2 things, working with Bake-Cerakote, on things you cannot bake.  Like Optics.  We have plenty of time. 

You'll get some pics of it in FULL-ON Sexual Chocolate Mode, too...  :banana:

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2021_04/IMG_0335.JPG.8da97dbf9532ba93ccbd5f796851e9a5.JPG

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2021_04/IMG_0337.JPG.31a3ebf1592b498c026ac3103d2ae7e2.JPG

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2021_04/IMG_0338.JPG.ce6b953ef3cf975b425a973a4de184c0.JPG

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2021_04/IMG_0339.JPG.f1fd65af2a3206e90d0c058a136e6bd5.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

3 minutes ago, DNP said:

How long do you figure that Steiner holds up in the oven?  There’s gonna be some pucker factor that day…should probably live stream that part so we can all cringe…

I don't bake the optics.  I still use the heat-cure Cerakote - but you have to rack those things, and let them hang and cure, no bake.  Takes up to a week to fully cure, but safe to handle after several hours.  It still comes out as a coating that's hard as woodpecker lips.  :thumbup:

I did bake that EOTech 512 twice, though, at 170*.  It's still alive, after baking twice.  I'd never do that to a magnified optics, with all their o-rings and shiit that keep them alive.  Spray, rack, hang, wait.