• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

R2's Next AR-10 SASS

Rsquared

Since I was already geared up for building this weekend. I figured that since I finished up the SBR yesterday, I'd keep driving forward and start the next build. So, it's off to my 2nd AR-10 SASS. I plan for this one to end up with a kick ass tiger stripe paint job courtesy of my brother 98. I've got all the parts on hand for this one except for the glass. I'll go stumble through the door of my local gun pusher once I finish this one to find a nice optic.

I got the complete rail and gas system from our man Pat Raley (Thanks Pat) a couple years ago. Before that, I had found a steal of a deal from Armalite for a complete upper with the SASS barrel, but with standard plastic handguards and flashider.. So I've been sitting on that one just waiting for the right time. I'll ditch the plastic handguards, and replace them with the SASS quad rail/adjustable gas system. Then I'll replace the flashider with an AAC brake. Oh, I'll lose the standard charging handle and replace it with a Raptor.

All Armalite parts except for the Geissele SSA-E, Raptor charging handle and the PRS stock.

So, for now, we'll move on to the pics. I put the lower together today, and I'll get to re-building the upper probably next weekend.

1 - Lower built (I had forgotten how much of a pain in the ass the take down pin detent was to put in these bitches) lost one during the install.

708164770_New10SASS1.thumb.jpg.ae2a5ca3e223bae09af942a6a442ad82.jpg

Other side.

1606027989_New10SASS2.thumb.jpg.ba6befa5ac21403af55b0cfade690030.jpg

Here it is with the plastic handguard upper snapped to it just to test function.

1443958755_New10SASS3.thumb.jpg.d9a162dbe3665c045a87e78d15ddf281.jpg

Other side.

487439366_New10SASS4.thumb.jpg.f332583fa17a12988d7e413f8f924d37.jpg

Up close and personal.

1458320284_New10SASS6.thumb.jpg.f485c87dafe771608fa5bbf08cc4e7a9.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me making a mount based around a 4th axis CNC rotary table then cameras tie it all together which then is controlled via phone. Similar to using it to control drone but held in a vertical plane rather than horixontal plane.:fullauto:

A speaker and microphone might be a nice touch so you can talk to them with the nightvision on 

So ladies. It's on to part 2 of this saga. So grab your favorite beverage (either the adult type or your Matt Cross type), a bowl of popcorn, and get ready to be put asleep. :laffs:

We get back into this story after the week long intermission. We start off with what appears to be a plain Jane AR-10 upper with plastic handguards.

1228394686_New10SASS8.thumb.jpg.6c5594c455fd597b727fb66b2214943a.jpg

Here she is after yanking (I'm good at yanking) off the flash hider, handguards and standard gas system.

820596897_New10SASS9.thumb.jpg.efbbb7b759cbffb010f2737858d1affa.jpg

Opposite angle with the delta ring removed, and getting prepped for the new barrel nut.

680817461_New10SASS10.thumb.jpg.f939047aa1f99b784e3a543d460c2ac3.jpg

Here she is with the new handguard and adjustable gas system installed. I'm only referring to it as gas system instead of glass block since it's proprietary to Armalite and the 10 SASS.

1272109455_New10SASS11.thumb.jpg.1871cd4c4936fb5ff4d1ea1d39c223c9.jpg

And finally, with the new muzzle brake thrown on her, and just a couple other shots.

1361882826_New10SASS12.thumb.jpg.84d7ab8a30be83d1712a0b36f431e31a.jpg

40809605_New10SASS13.thumb.jpg.6977c799a25e7b21dc9e1c53147c2edf.jpg

1792066127_New10SASS14.thumb.jpg.1b51894ed9b732e1a12535540814f19f.jpg

1066866158_New10SASS15.thumb.jpg.158063e1f1563b186794b80b8796171e.jpg

Other than me going a little heavy on the copper-based never sieze $hit that I use for the barrel nut and the handguard lock ring, she camed together ok. Of course now.......it'll be off to the gun pusher at some point to see what kind of glass that he's pushing these days. I'm thinking of another NightForce, but I know that he doesn't carry those anymore. But I'll at least give him first shot at trying to pry some money outta my wallet first. I try to deal with the local guys first before going off to the faceless, internet. I'll let you all know what I end up with. Then it's getting shipped off to 98 for the paint job for whenever he can fit it in. I ain't in no hurry. After all, the upper that I started with, the box from Armalite was dated 2013.......and the rail/gas system from Pat was dated 2015. :lmao:

That's all for this installment ladies.

As you were. Carry on.

On 3/12/2022 at 5:00 PM, Rsquared said:

So ladies. It's on to part 2 of this saga. So grab your favorite beverage (either the adult type or your Matt Cross type), a bowl of popcorn, and get ready to be put asleep. :laffs:

We get back into this story after the week long intermission. We start off with what appears to be a plain Jane AR-10 upper with plastic handguards.

1228394686_New10SASS8.thumb.jpg.6c5594c455fd597b727fb66b2214943a.jpg

Here she is after yanking (I'm good at yanking) off the flash hider, handguards and standard gas system.

820596897_New10SASS9.thumb.jpg.efbbb7b759cbffb010f2737858d1affa.jpg

Opposite angle with the delta ring removed, and getting prepped for the new barrel nut.

680817461_New10SASS10.thumb.jpg.f939047aa1f99b784e3a543d460c2ac3.jpg

Here she is with the new handguard and adjustable gas system installed. I'm only referring to it as gas system instead of glass block since it's proprietary to Armalite and the 10 SASS.

1272109455_New10SASS11.thumb.jpg.1871cd4c4936fb5ff4d1ea1d39c223c9.jpg

And finally, with the new muzzle brake thrown on her, and just a couple other shots.

1361882826_New10SASS12.thumb.jpg.84d7ab8a30be83d1712a0b36f431e31a.jpg

40809605_New10SASS13.thumb.jpg.6977c799a25e7b21dc9e1c53147c2edf.jpg

1792066127_New10SASS14.thumb.jpg.1b51894ed9b732e1a12535540814f19f.jpg

1066866158_New10SASS15.thumb.jpg.158063e1f1563b186794b80b8796171e.jpg

Other than me going a little heavy on the copper-based never sieze $hit that I use for the barrel nut and the handguard lock ring, she camed together ok. Of course now.......it'll be off to the gun pusher at some point to see what kind of glass that he's pushing these days. I'm thinking of another NightForce, but I know that he doesn't carry those anymore. But I'll at least give him first shot at trying to pry some money outta my wallet first. I try to deal with the local guys first before going off to the faceless, internet. I'll let you all know what I end up with. Then it's getting shipped off to 98 for the paint job for whenever he can fit it in. I ain't in no hurry. After all, the upper that I started with, the box from Armalite was dated 2013.......and the rail/gas system from Pat was dated 2015. :lmao:

That's all for this installment ladies.

As you were. Carry on.

Comin along BEAUTIFUL!!!

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

...and I'm gonna paint THE FUK OUTTA THAT THING!!!   :banana:

I'm looking forward to that brother. After seeing what you did to Larry's truck gun, I was fukin sold. You're the paint master my man.

I'm gonna owe you after this one.

Edited by Rsquared

• 2 weeks later...

So back on topic now, after a couple weeks of inactivity. Hey....$hit just gets in the way now and again.

So I went stumbling through the door of my local gun pusher.

My goal today,  was to just see what kind of stuff he has as well as take care of some long overdue bull-$hitting with him. I haven't seen him since I bought the Trijicon for the MK12 build a while back. I kept telling myself that I was going to stick with Nightforce. The one that I run on the MRAD used to be parked on my other 10 SASS before it lost the battle to the Barrett. So I've been of the mindset to replace it with another NXS. After all, you can't go wrong with Nightforce any day of the week.

So, we're taking care of the aforementioned bull-$hitting as I casually gaze into his cabinet that holds most of his optics. I'm thinking, YES.....SCORE for me.....he doesn't have anything with a 50 mil objective lens in stock. So he won't be able to talk me into wavering from my position. OR........so I thought. The ruthless bastard STILL had a dastardly plan up his sleeve. So he starts talking about some Steiner glass, and how that he approves of them also. Well of course he would (said VERY sarcastically)........the bank account draining Sum-Bitch.  I mean why wouldn't he? He's standing there thinking that he's about to set the hook in this tired old catch that he's bam-boozled time after time. The vocal sparring continued for almost 15 minutes. He would jab.....and I would parry. He would deliver to me what he must have thought was a crushing blow.....only to have me dodge and weave.....and roll out from underneath unscathed once more. The battle expanded........as some of his minions decided to attempt to toss in some side-winders, in a hapless effort to assist their overlord.

All incoming shots were stealthily deflected or side-stepped by our hero. The battle was raging as the storm clouds howled. Neither side was budging as salvo after salvo was launched in both directions. The damage and carnage to the surrounding lands were beginning to pile up. The body count around us rose to unspeakable levels. For a moment, I could feel freedom as I caught a glimpse of the door that led to the outside. It was just a sheer 20 feet away. If only I could slay my way through the horror, and safely arrive on the other side.

But then...........................after an all too brief moment of silence between the combatants. As I stood there naively triumphant (yeah right), staring at the gateway to freedom. Tasting my own sweat and blood, mixed with the dirt and debris from the many explosions that had gone on all around us. I was almost free.

BOOOOOOOOOOM!

He dropped the last MOAB on me that he had. He swung his screen around, and showed me a picture of this "lost ark" that I was pursuing.

A silence fell over the battlefied.

This man.......has no compassion for his fellow man. This man.....has no empathy towards others. This man.......has no level that he will not go too. He should be brought up on charges against humanity at the next Nuremberg trials. There should be a military tribunal. We should flatten his tires at the least. I mean.....there's no line that this man won't cross.

So now, and don't hate me Matt for deviating from the Nightforce club, I'll be taking possession of a Steiner optic next week........................................................

Fade to close.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Now, to be fair. The fuker was willing to get one into his shop so that I could look at it and through it before buying it. But I also think that he probably knew that he'd already sold me on it. And, it's about the same price as my beloved Nightforce too.

Here's the one that I'll be getting. But he gave me a better price than this.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/steiner-t5xi-3-15x50mm-scr-reticle-scope.html

All of that said! The Fuker still tried to sell me a Sig MCX carbine as I tried to lick my wounds and get out the door. The prick.

Carry on ladies. As you were.

1 hour ago, DNP said:

How do you like the Sig so far?

Fuk you I'm not buying it.

Really......I'm not buying it.

It was in a killer gray finish......but I'm not buying it.

God dammit....I've got 4 other builds that I need to finish before I think about any factory built rifles. I'm not buying it!

I'M NOT BUYING IT!

But it did look cool though.

2 minutes ago, DNP said:

I think your outstanding willpower is what I love the most about you. Keep up the good work…You’re not going to buy it. 

is that because you already did?

1 minute ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

😂🤣

Fuk both of you.

And no I didn't...............................................................................................................................................................yet?