• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello from central Oklahoma. New to the AR-10/LR-308 platform and just pieced together my first rifle but haven’t fired it yet

cole924

Hello, my purpose for being here is that I’m looking for criticism or for any mistakes that I might’ve made while piecing together my first AR-308 pattern rifle which is an Aero M5 complete lower and a 16 inch complete upper from Grid Defense (dpms compatible) along with a brownells BCG and an Aero charging handle. Everything seems to fit well together and it function tests fine but I haven’t fired it yet. Do I need to do any kind of break in procedure or do I need to replace the gas block with one that’s adjustable? I found all parts for the gun on sale which kept the total cost (I provided the stock and grip) at around $800. 

43 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Shoot it first and see if it runs ok. No need to fix anything that doesn't need fixing.

A good idea is to soak your BCG in Mobile One overnight. Till it's broke in run the BCG wet with lube.

Welcome from KY.

Will do. Thanks for that info. Do you know approximately how many rounds it needs to run through before it’s finally broke in or is there another way that you can tell? 

1 hour ago, Savage11006 said:

Welcome from Ga! Hope it shoots good for ya. Sounds like you got a real good deal. 

Thanks. I hope so too. I did get pretty lucky on finding everything to put it together because all of the parts just happened to be on sale at the same time:

-Grid Defense complete 16” upper: $299 (I ordered the only upper they had at this price which was listed with a 12” handguard  but they actually sent me one with a 15” handguard so I lucked into that additional upgrade).

-Aero Precision M5 complete lower with no stock and A2 pistol grip: $293 (I already had a Magpul STR stock that came off my AR15 and added a MOE+ pistol grip).

-Aero Precision breach charging handle (factory blem) $65

-Brownells AR-308 BCG $140

Sub total: $798

After taxes, shipping, and the transfer fee on the lower, it all came out to a little less than $900 for everything