• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

If NFA was ruled unconstitutional and you could own full auto, would you?

FOGeologist

19 hours ago, JMJ said:

Exactly, once the 1986 machine gun law would be struck down there would be no “grandfather” clause that created the current values of machine guns manufactured in ‘86 or before. 

This is what I suspect; the phoney-baloney “machine-gun” market would come crashing down. Could you imagine companies setting up to make cool old wartime repros, like Degtyarevs and Lewis Guns and Colt Potato Diggers? And no, they wouldn’t be $50,000, because new industries would pop up to make components for weird old guns.

it would be some fun days, that’s for sure… but I wouldn’t be hauling those money-eaters out to the range but once a year or so.

59 minutes ago, FOGeologist said:

This is what I suspect; the phoney-baloney “machine-gun” market would come crashing down. Could you imagine companies setting up to make cool old wartime repros, like Degtyarevs and Lewis Guns and Colt Potato Diggers? And no, they wouldn’t be $50,000, because new industries would pop up to make components for weird old guns.

it would be some fun days, that’s for sure… but I wouldn’t be hauling those money-eaters out to the range but once a year or so.

Yep definitely not something I’d see myself using much. I’d just want to see what I could do with an AR with a bipod mounted on a hog sounder moving through a tight gully. 

59 minutes ago, FOGeologist said:

they wouldn’t be $50,000,

Don't be so sure, some of that early stuff was very machine hour and hand fit heavy, a true reproduction would be a major investment to manufacture if you could find the qualified help! There would be enough "Hi Points" step in to make them available though, whether I want one or not I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

Don't be so sure, some of that early stuff was very machine hour and hand fit heavy, a true reproduction would be a major investment to manufacture if you could find the qualified help! There would be enough "Hi Points" step in to make them available though, whether I want one or not I'm all for it.

You're right; I can't believe how many guns that were made by grinding down humongous blocks of steel into receivers and other components, all because they had governments paying for them, and because they didn't care how much a weapon system weighed because the soldier's load was 65% of what it is now. This, in spite of the men all being midgets back then!

• 2 weeks later...

3 round burst is easy to do with no ridiculous ratchet mechanism, it just requires a trigger finger and a reasonable RPM. So get full auto and one also has 3 round burst. It was easy to do with the M16A1, I doubt that has changed. It is THE way to use full auto unless it's a human wave and then I'd either want water cooled or something yet to be designed, like refrigerated. Using 3 round burst and sandbags you'd be surprised at just what can be done esp' with 5.56/.223. Folks who use a "controlled" 🤣 100 round burst don't know what they're doing with full auto. There was a time when there were local full auto shoots and I can't remember anyone not just holding the trigger until the gun was empty and I thought some of the owners were ex-military and should have known better. Maybe they were practicing for human wave attacks.

I'm in agreement with you Tshirt, and I know that you didn't mention the ratchet mechanism but that I did. 

• 8 months later...