• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

If NFA was ruled unconstitutional and you could own full auto, would you?

FOGeologist

We are in a time of change with respect to gun laws. Many of the silly and unconstitutional laws of the past have been struck down by the Supreme Court recently, and the biggest one of those idiotic former rulings may be the grandaddy of them all, the NFA.

If all or part of the NFA got taken down by the Supreme Court, would you folks consider switching any of your firearms (yeah, I know how hard it is to do on the AR platform, probably would be easier to just buy new lowers) to carry the Giggle Switch?

I'd maybe consider going with one gun. I can't imagine blowing up more than two mags/year of overpriced ammo. And it would be .223, not .308, as I couldn't possibly see what use a full-auto .308 would be.

Frankly, I'd be far more interested in shooting semi as suppressed. 

When Uncle Sugar was buying the ammo I really liked full auto and discovered just how good I was with it. But with the bill coming due on my dime? I can't see full auto as being all that attractive. I do have a PCC that is full auto in Switzerand and that has always galled me. So I might buy and put away the full auto parts in that just because I could. But for most of my firearms, even if I could find them in the boat wreck in the Atlantic, probably not. Besides, for as long as I've been practicing semi-auto accuracy it would just be an ammo burner for no good reason. 

Heck, I considered a binary trigger not too long ago and gave that up for the very same thought process. ATF and the left might not realize it, but they embarked on a huge training program to train us all in non-wasteful semi-auto accuracy to make us more efficient marksmen. Thanks for the gift lefttards!

Of course I would. And as far as the price of ammo. Just because you would have a full auto, wouldn't mean that you'd have to run it in full auto all the time. That's why it's called select fire. Same as with any other tool. I'd rather have it and not use it all the time, rather than need it and not have it.

22 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Of course I would. And as far as the price of ammo. Just because you would have a full auto, wouldn't mean that you'd have to run it in full auto all the time. That's why it's called select fire. Same as with any other tool. I'd rather have it and not use it all the time, rather than need it and not have it.

This is my thought as well.  The same can be said for a binary trigger, bump stock and forced reset trigger.  All will expend ammo at an increased rate.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you do it all the time.

2 minutes ago, jim3326 said:

I'm not certain, but I don't think you have a choice with a binary, do you? Doesn't it react in both directions, or can it be set to only fire in 1 direction?

It can be safe, single shot or binary.  There are three selector positions.

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

46 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

I’m in this camp, I could see swapping my 5.56’s over, converting a 10/22 and likely a Glock switch. I could see those being a hoot when doing hog ambushes. 

1 hour ago, Rsquared said:

bullpoopy. There is no way I could possible run a gun with a giggle switch and not have it on all the time. I can’t even shoot the full auto BB gun without having that on. 25 BB’s are gone way too fast. 

6 hours ago, E5232 said:

Not really much use for it, plus for anything a collector would want, the prices are just too crazy.  $28,000 plus for an old M16A1 is a little much.  The real benefit would be the ability to purchase suppressors, assemble SBR's etc,

The only reason they cost so much is scarcity. They are not significantly functionally different from $499 PSA guns. Those prices would drop quick

10 minutes ago, blue109 said:

The only reason they cost so much is scarcity. They are not significantly functionally different from $499 PSA guns. Those prices would drop quick

Exactly, once the 1986 machine gun law would be struck down there would be no “grandfather” clause that created the current values of machine guns manufactured in ‘86 or before. 

56 minutes ago, blue109 said:

I get that, I think the old and rare M16 variants would hold pretty well, i think the what would tank are these M4 clones that people have built made up of  AR civilian parts mixed with NFA restricted components.  you see them on gunbroker all the time, there's one I'm looking at now. its a 1971 Colt SP1 Civilian rifle that's been converted to full auto, and the want 25,000  Stuff like that will go to zero. I'd be willing to bet that even  we woke up tomorrow with no NFA, very few people would buy a full auto weapon or even convert one. 

Edited by E5232

As far as ARs go, I doubt any manufacturers would make "semi auto only" lowers anymore. Maybe for CA/NY compliant guns, but the rest of them would be select fire ready. If you were building an AR, and the price was the same either way, I'm guessing everyone would build the select fire gun. I agree that classic FA guns would still hold value for collectors, but nobody would be lining up to spend $30K. 

No full autos for me a waste of too much ammo, 6 shots from a pump action 12 Ga or a semi auto and the old Winchester model 94 and a 1911.45 auto will  will do anything I need done at close range and my LR 308 and my M1 A will do for reach out there and whack someone.

17 hours ago, FOGeologist said:

If all or part of the NFA got taken down by the Supreme Court, would you folks consider switching any of your firearms (yeah, I know how hard it is to do on the AR platform, probably would be easier to just buy new lowers) to carry the Giggle Switch?

Nope, not worth it.  I've used them, and they're not worth it.  I can think of only one example where FA is beneficial, and we'll train that scenario this fall.  Other than that, it's worthless, even in a combat role.  Semi is way more beneficial, in a combat role.

Seems like that's what you're leaning towards, with your topic opener. 

The 3rd Burst was a fucking joke. JMHO.

I was an SAI for 20 years.  Every once in a while we'd get a servicewide message to expend certain lots of 5.56 ammo.  PERFECT opportunity to load up a BIG pile of magazines and head to the range.  We'd get those M-16's so hot you'd have to wear a welding glove on your left hand to continue to fire them.  Can't think of too many things that would bring a BIG smile to your face that tearing up the range with full auto bursts from an M-16.  

Even with that said hitting what you are aiming at at much of a distance isn't going to happen.  You could put up 6 targets about 5 yards apart at the 50 yard line and "spray" them with a 30 round mag and dispite your best efforts you'd get a couple of center hits on the one you started on and maybe a couple of stray rounds would fine one or two other targets, but for the most part you'd be lucky to hit 4 out of 6 of them and seldom were any rounds in the kill zone.  

Flip the selector to semi-auto and it less than 5 seconds I'll put one round dead center in ALL 6 targets........FWIW.......

Edited by Cliff R

Rarebreed is still fighting the good fight. If anyone needs to scratch that itch in an AR platform rifle, it's a well spent $400. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=llIVHlduUmk

I also threw a binary in a 308 just for shites and it ran flawless. A few folks in here can attest to that. Just takes a few tries to get the rhythm down.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_fQswZwTVLg

Edited by blue109

2 hours ago, Cliff R said:

We'd get those M-16's so hot

I got in on something like that, objective for the day, burn up that pallet, I had no clue or care why. It actually started to feel like work after an hour or so, tore up hands from loading mag after mag.

Short of a last ditch hail Mary from a defensive position in the dark, grazing fire, I got no use for full auto, right now, times change but I can't see a benefit for me now. I almost shouldn't mention it but my thoughts are that modern optics have added more lethality to the AR than any giggle switch can ever accomplish. 

8 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I almost shouldn't mention it but my thoughts are that modern optics have added more lethality to the AR than any giggle switch can ever accomplish. 

Glad you did, because it rings true. My full auto experience is limited to a WW 2 Browning 30 cal on a tripod one afternoon, but even with that tripod, only the first two or three shots were on the paper at 200 yards.