• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Geissele trigger question?

LongDucDong

Hey Guys,

New here. Lots of great info. Thus, i bought a Geissele ssa for my LR308. Installed and shot it today. Not impressed at all. Lot of creep in second stage. Not near as crisp as any of my Savage accuTrigger or my Timney on a Rem. 700. Any ideas to make it better or should i send it back to Midway for a different Geissele?

I also disagree.  SOCOM isn't using them because they are junk.  I have an SSA-E and plan on using nothing but.  Comparing an SSA to a Remmy 700 (provided it's one of the match or XCR/LR/T rifles is like comparing sex to sleeping.  Wait, did I just say that?

Could be a wet dream , they were always nice . <laughs>

I will be putting Geissele triggers in a couple more of my AR's .

Have any of the three respondents to my post above tried any of the triggers I've mentioned and compared it to the Geissele or are you just comparing the Geissele to the even crappier mil-spec triggers that are out there?  Geissele triggers are just dressed up mil-spec triggers which may be fine for the tactical set used to horrible triggers.  The triggers I've mentioned are top of the line precision triggers.

I can agree with you about the AR Gold trigger, as I have two of them... However, with the standard mil-spec trigger and the AR Gold to use as comparisons, I can say with absolute confidence that the JP isn't on par with the AR Gold, nor with the nicer Geissele triggers. I would say you could POSSIBLY compare a JP to a bottom-shelf Geissele in fairness, but based on the most common feedback about their product, your experience is the exception rather than the rule.

To be completely objective though, everyone can send me their pet top-of-the-line triggers to install in my AR's and I will offer a completely objective review of all of them!  ;D

Geissele is way overrated.  If you want a great trigger than go with a JP or AR Gold.  I cannot regret enough my decision to experiment with Geissele.  Long trigger pull and reset.  Its basically a worked up mil-spec trigger and not worth the coin spent.

If you've still got it, put it up for sale here on the board, in the For Sale section.

I intend to put it up for sale as soon as I get it out of the rifle.

As for JP not being up to par, I have to ask if the JP was self-installed or installed by JP themselves.  The JPs I've tried were installed by JP and were far superior to the Geissele triggers I've tried in every way (less overtravel, shorter reset, consistent/predictable break, smoother pull).  I have not tried the Geissele Hi-Speed triggers but I have tried the SSA, SSA-E, and S3G.  For two-stage triggers, I would rather have a Rock River NM that was tuned and polished than either of the 2-stage Geissele triggers I've tried.

The JP trigger was self-installed. No modification to any of the surfaces, just installing the pins & springs per the instructions. It's not a bad trigger by any stretch, it's just not a Geiselle. Also, I was speaking in terms of do-it-yourself drop-in trigger kits, not work sent in to a manufacturer. I can see how you'd prefer the adjustable pull length of the JP though.

I've go a bunch of different triggers in my AR's. From my limited experience, if price is not a consideration, I like the Gold triggers the best . I've got them in both small platform and .308 guns, and the only thing I don't like about them is the obnoxious color of the trigger. For me the best trigger I've used Dollar for dollar is the Jard that I've got in one of my .308's, especially with the deal I got on it here on the forum. I think it's worth considering if your trying to save money. I've heard that the Springfield trigger job is also a good way to go, but haven't tried it. I put one of the Geissele S 3G triggers in my 300BLK comp gun because I really prefer a flat trigger, and although I like that feature of it, I certainly would not consider it for a gun that I setup with group size as my primary focus. When I spoke to the Rep, he agreed, saying that if your looking for accuracy off the bench, one of their 2 stage triggers would be a better choice. I have yet to try one of them so can't speak from experience on that.

I've compared my geissele triggers to multiple rra 2 stages, a timney (single stage), mil spec single stage, armalite 2 stage, cmmg 2 stage, multiple factory bolt guns,  and some jp that was installed by them into another guys rifle.

The geissele is hands down the best. To me. Another person might have a different opinion. Geiselle's ssa series are not designed to break like an icicle. They are also the only trigger out there that will not fail. I've seen and heard of lots of "designer" triggers failing at inopportune times. Geisseles don't. That chance is not worth any minimal gains offered by a competitor.

**Before anyone sends in triggers to bill do some research, there are lots of reports of these trigger jobs failing and resulting in multiple fires.**

The JP trigger was self-installed. No modification to any of the surfaces, just installing the pins & springs per the instructions. It's not a bad trigger by any stretch, it's just not a Geiselle. Also, I was speaking in terms of do-it-yourself drop-in trigger kits, not work sent in to a manufacturer. I can see how you'd prefer the adjustable pull length of the JP though.

JPs can be self-installed but they usually involve some fitting to get it to come out correctly.  They are usually not just drop-in.  I believe they have instructional videos showing how to fit the trigger and time the disconnector.  The Geissele triggers seem too inconsistent and unpredictable.  The S3G doesn't really know if it wants to be a two-stage or single-stage.  If I pull very slowly, there are two-stages (though nearly imperceptible) to the trigger.  If I pull quickly, it feels like a long-ish single stage (as compared to the JP).  And the SSA and SSA-E can have its second stage too easily bypassed (at least with my finger), effectively making them a long pull single stage.  The only thing I might find as an advantage to the Geissele is the S3Gs very perceptible and positive reset.  In this aspect, it surpasses both the JP and the Gold but the shorter trigger travel on the JP and Gold far outweigh the Geissele trigger's positive reset.

The S3G doesn't really know if it wants to be a two-stage or single-stage.  If I pull very slowly, there are two-stages (though nearly imperceptible) to the trigger.  If I pull quickly, it feels like a long-ish single stage (as compared to the JP).  And the SSA and SSA-E can have its second stage too easily bypassed (at least with my finger), effectively making them a long pull single stage. 

My S3G, SSA, and SSA-E aren't anything like what you're describing here.  <dontknow>

In regards to bills trigger work. I don't have the links saved, however a quick google search will show the reports I am talking about.

It would appear the criticism against Geissele is disregarding what this trigger was designed to do.

Also per geissele, the ssa,ssf,ssa-e, and ssf-e are designed to be able to be a single stage if pulled quickly. These are combat triggers, if you need to fire fast you can skip the 2 stages. They fire at the same time every pull though. 

My findings is this is why the second stage pull weights are lighter. If you compare most manufacturers triggers, the majority of travel is in the first stage and the majority of weight is at the 2nd stage. Geissele triggers have the travel and weight up front in the first stage, then very little travel and weight at the second. They are also exact from one trigger to the next. Even rra description says their triggers will vary between 5-7#s or something along those lines. That's not consistent.

My S3G, SSA, and SSA-E aren't anything like what you're describing here.  <dontknow>

Try dry-fire pulling your S3G very slowly and very deliberately.  You should feel yourself pulling against the static friction of the surfaces initially and then feel less resistance as the friction becomes rolling/sliding friction.  If the pull on the S3G was shorter, the distinction between the two types of friction would be virtually imperceptible and it doesn't exist at all when you ride it to reset.

As for the SSA and SSA-E, what I described is what I feel with my trigger finger.  Everyone has minor differences in how they pull the trigger that affects how they interact with a fire control system.  Also, the Geissele triggers may be combat triggers but on a 308 AR and actually most any gun I own, I want a reliable target trigger not a modified combat trigger wanting to be a target trigger.  I know this goes against most tactical/defense schools of thought but it's my guns and my life and my opinion.

Geissele triggers are nice if you are satisfied with typical AR-type trigger pulls (though smoother and lighter), but they are far from satisfying if you are used to a good bolt gun or 1911 trigger.  For me this is what the JP and the AR Gold feel like respectively.

Sorry, but I am just not happy with how the Geissele triggers are portrayed as some evolutionary leap in AR trigger systems.  In my opinion they are just very nice modified AR triggers that are still reflective of the original design.