• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Robocop1051's Lightweight Colt AR-15

Robocop1051

So a few weeks ago my father came to me and asked about lightening his old AR15. This old Colt had been his trusty duty rifle prior to his retirement, and was faithful and reliable to the end. He knew I had been working on rifles and building my own, so he was ready to try out something new. I've taken more from my Dad over the years than I will ever be able to give back, so I wanted to do something a little special on this go around. Stuck in his old ways, and afraid to crack the wallet, he instructed "nothing too crazy". I had other plans in mind, and seeing as how I was gifting this all to him, I was going to go nuts!!

It started out as a standard 16" AR15 with a carbine M203 style barrel. Bone stock from Colts shelves, from about 25-30 years ago.

After stripping it down for the basic parts, I began a complete rebuild. My intention was to keep as much Colt as possible, as I didn't want to break the heart of the old cowboy who'd be shooting it the most.

• Colt lower
  • Colt M4 Upper
  • Colt Full Auto Carrier (From a de-Mil'd Colt M4)
  • Colt stainless steel bolt
  • Carbine H buffer (from the same Colt M4)
  • Bad Inc. BADASS Short Throw
  • Tubb CS Flat Spring
  • Daniel Defense 14.5" LW Mid CHF Barrel
  • PRI .625 Gas Block with Flip Sight
  • Battlecomp v1.5
  • Magpul Mid length Handguard (w/ VFG and Sling Mount)
  • Magpul Trigger Guard
  • Tango Down grip
  • Magpul Gen2 Rear MBUS
  • Did my first "15 Minute Trigger Job"... It took me about 45 minutes, but it works perfectly
  • Last threw on a old red dot, flashlight and laser I had laying around

Not only is it lighter than he expected, this thing pop's like a toy gun. The middy barrel with the flat spring and H-buffer are absolutely perfect! I took it out this afternoon and handed it over to him. The look in his eye when I said "It's all yours" was thanks enough. We popped off a few rounds at a friends ranch and couldn't have been more satisfied. He packaged it up and took off to go show off to his friends.

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

Nice gesture for sure, and nice parts choices. What do you think of the DD barrel? Also, is the PRI  being used as a GB, or just as a sight? seems too far forward for a middy gas system on a 14.5"

I like the barrel. Clean lines, good finish and slick lining. The barrel feels very sturdy for a pencil barrel. DD was the only .625 (pencil) I could readily get with the mid gas system.

It's a gas block. I thought it looked off, but it's working perfectly so I'm not changing anything! That skinny pencil barrel makes things look out of proportion.

Funny little side story.

My father was a deputy for 34 years (still working as an annuitant 6 years later). During his career he was a Sniper on their SWAT team for about 17 of those years. He cross trained with every LE, military and federal branch you can imagine, within a 500 mile radius. Needless to say, all my life I've strived to shoot as good as him.

As we were shooting his new AR, he wanted to sight it in. We were standing in the middle of my friends ranch, so I guesstimated 25 yards with a piece of paper on plywood and we got started. After we got it as close as we could, he pulls up the rifle, fires off three shots, standing, and puts them all in the same hole. Who shoots a 1/2" group standing/freehanded, with a brand new rifle??? I looked at him and said,"I give up!"

I don't normally toot my own horn, but I'm a good shot. Some say a damn good shot. My department holds small in house shooting competitions and I take top-gun and QuickDraw every time.... But my father makes me look like the Christmas Story kid with his Red Rider BB gun.