• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

racing addiction

edgecrusher

anybody here addicted like i am. to me sundays are for burning rubber and race fuel. i watch super bikes, mx, nascar, top fuel drags, late models (local), formula 1, whatever is on or around. i used to do penguin racing school at loudon on my rc51, raced twice at pocono infield course, currently go to friday and saturday eliminators with my dad and his 71 chevelle. who else gets the shakes?

MX (outdoor and Supercross), Arenacross, Moto GP from the earlier days of the 500cc 2-strokes ( :o), I love all that.  I actually raced MX all the way up to about 2007, and it wasn't in any Vet class - it's HARD to keep up with young kids that have never seriously wadded themselves up before.  They just have no fear, and won't until they get into some real "healing time..."  <laughs>

If I can make it faster, I'm into it.  I've done alot of work on the performance side of the house, and did a hell of alot to my big Jap V-Twin.  One day, I'll stuff one of those engines in a side-by-side...  <thumbsup>

I feel the need...the need for SPEED!

I'm originally from Martinsville, VA. I literally grew up on Martinsville Speedway - My Granddad helped build the track and I had a lot of family work there. After the Earl's sold the track to the France's, all of my kin left and went to work for VIR over in SoBo. When I was a kid, one of my uncles took me to the Indy 500. Those cars looked like science fiction on wheels. And they made stock cars look soooo sloooow. I've been hooked on open wheel cars ever since.

Here lately, though, I've been getting into Aussie V8 Supercars. Those guys are a hoot to watch. Reminds of NASCAR back when it was real racing.

love the aussie v8's, makes me wish we could get holden's here  <thumbsup>

They're here! The Pontiac GTO that was re-introduced in 2004-2006 was nothing more than a re-badged left-hand drive Holden Monaro. Try to find one with the 6.0 V8 - 400 HP and 400 lb-ft of torque. It would do the quarter in about 13 sec.

I grew up 15 minutes from Sears Point Raceway (now called Infinion Raceway) I loved going to NHRA top fuels and alcohols in the summer. Also nothing beats being around those jet cars!

I'd also like to point out that while the NASCAR world hates her, I'd still wrap Danica's legs around my head and wear her like a gas mask!

Oh yeah ! NHRA , Indy , F1, Nascar , Supercross.  I use to drag race at Firebird and Speedworld ,Back in the day my Charger was one of the fastest cars in town "Illegal drags at Deer Valley".

Then around 2000 started racing imports on Wednesdays and Saturdays at Speedworld ,did it with a car club which was fun.

Mike

pop's chevelle  best run ( that i am aware of )  9.36 @ 145mph, all steel car, big motor going in this year if he doesn't sell the shell for a camaro project. big motor est are around 1200hp, more if he does a nitrous shot ( he's thinking 300 shot after we sort out the motor and twin demon 1040 carbs)

post-644-136297273504_thumb.jpg

I loved going to NHRA top fuels and alcohols in the summer. Also nothing beats being around those jet cars!

I'd also like to point out that while the NASCAR world hates her, I'd still wrap Danica's legs around my head and wear her like a gas mask!

ROFL!! Robo, you and I are TOO much alike!!  Fuel Altereds are a blast too!

Drag raced my 67 Chevelle for years...drove to the track and back every Saturday ....still have a 27 Ford Roadster with a 440 inch Big Block Chevy sitting in car trailer...sad to say I didn't even start it last year....my boy is getting to the age were he'll be into cars more than video games soon. Maybe get back into it....Watkins Glen racetrack is 15 miles away. We go there sometimes ..like to start drag racing bikes ..think that would be fun

My motorcycle stunt team has preformed at a few drag strips they are my fav events. I take all the pictures and video so I normally get a press pass, I was once 15' from Tony pedragons car in Cordova IL, my organs literally rattled when he dropped the hammer. But one of my favorite events is the Byron wheelstand comp in Byron il we've been doing it 6-7 years now and it's always a crazy ass day. Lots of pix on my photo link in my profile

Traded the Chevelle for a 69 Skylark with a 455 in it...got that together and running then sold it to buy the ZX14 I have now....had that 67 Chevelle for 19 yrs....practically got sick watching it go down the driveway..wife hated that car..always said I  cared more about it than her..she referred to it as "your orange baby"..(it was Hugger Orange)....I'll have another one someday...66 or67

Nice looking Gen 5, Wash. What did you do to the 350? Or did you leave it stock?

Thanks JM  The 350 remained stock for bout six weeks until I put heads and cam in it :)  So then I took it out and raplaced it with a darton block 427. that motor crapped out on the chassis dyno when the tech ran it out of oil pressure due to him replacing the cam and blocking off the main oil galley by fifty percent when he put the timing chain standoff upside down on the front of the block...I was 

walking into the shop when I heard it...YIKES..soo long story short its got a 402 stroker in it...used a ls2 block with the crank ,rods, and heads off the 427. The lil 402 actually runs pretty good for a six speed....got a built tranny and a built rear

puts a lil over 500hp to the ground on a chassis dyno.. runs 10.9's

at 129 all day long. Got a 150 shot on it <laughs> but have only used it twice...scared the crap out of me <lmao>  Wash

IMG_0306.jpg

that motor crapped out on the chassis dyno when the tech ran it out of oil pressure due to him replacing the cam and blocking off the main oil galley by fifty percent when he put the timing chain standoff upside down on the front of the block...

:eek:

I'd have been sick...  :-[

I mess with the smaller engines - I can carry one of these across the shop, but there no chance of doing that with a 350...  <laughs>

post-71-136297273604_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297273606_thumb.jpg

Hi 98Z    Yep, I was floored when I heard that sound on the dyno as I was waliking in....and then saw it was my car!  guess what?  the owner of the shop wouldnt make it good either! I ate the whole enchalada!  So,tell me bout those sweet bike motors you posted    :)  Wash

I grew up 15 minutes from Sears Point Raceway (now called Infinion Raceway) I loved going to NHRA top fuels and alcohols in the summer. Also nothing beats being around those jet cars!

just read this thread for the first time! hey robo..i grew up ON sears point lol. i had a friend from school whose family actually lived in a trailer back where the concession stand was when it was a small time club track. my dad was one of the head maintenance guys there for many years. we spent every wed night there watching him drag race his vette. good memories. where did you  live? we lived in sonoma near  the high school  when i was a kid, and then my sis bought a house in the hood behind sonoma mission inn.

to stay on track  ive had the good fortune to be able to run laps at sears point/infineon, phoenix int, fireberd int, buttonwillow, and arroyo seco. nothing competitive, but lots of fun. when i finally get my payment for the Nigerian lottery that i won ill build another fun car.

Hi 98Z    Yep, I was floored when I heard that sound on the dyno as I was waliking in....and then saw it was my car!  guess what?  the owner of the shop wouldnt make it good either! I ate the whole enchalada!  So,tell me bout those sweet bike motors you posted    :)  Wash

WHAT!! I would have sought legal advice over something like that, my brother. High performance engines - hell, high performance anything - doesn't come cheap.