PROJECT TITAN - Back Online

Guest LLArms

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LLArms

Edgecrusher is correct.

I have not shown any pictures of the internal working system yet (as its the core of the project) - but in basic terms it utilizes a series of modular weights to assist in absorbing/managing the recoil of the shots. Our goal is to have such low recoil that you can fire and keep the reticle locked on target with no (or very little) movement in any direction.

Its kind of like having the benefits of a static mounted weapon without it actually being static.

We are also toying around with some water cooling concepts to keep the barrel temps nominal.  <thumbsup>

Edit: If we can reach our goal with the .308 cartridge we will be expanding out sights to larger calibers like the .300 .338 and .50BMG

Is your intension to run with other bench rifles in competition ? This may help in consistent shot to shot accuracy & you may be on to some thing, in keeping up with the bolt action rifles.

But , I know nothing of the rules of  Bench rifle shooting , will this be able to compete ? People who make the rules can sometimes be , lets say , not open to new things or not let one compete in certain classes.

Guest LLArms

If we are to compete it would be in an open class, sometimes called "Unlimited". Basically anything goes. This is where you see the rail guns come out and play; barrels and actions mounted to blocks of steel for the most part.

One of our final tests will be a side by side competition with a bolt action rifle. Both shooters get 20 rounds of ammunition and the winner is determined by a mix of accuracy and elapsed time.

This is a bit off though.

The idea for the project started when I simply refused to believe that a semi-automatic rifle was incapable of matching the accuracy of a bolt action. In this day an age the ability for man to craft a piece of machinery to not obey our commands is not possible.  I have more or less assumed the reason no one has attempted to pursue this idea is lack of interest, willingness, or just resignation to the urban legends of auto vs. bolt.

Guest LLArms

4/12 Edit: (Pics Moved to OP Up Top)

---

Oh god, screw it - can't take it - here's a few more pictures.  <laughs>

Its like being 10 years old and trying not to tell your friends about your new Nintendo.

MAN TOYS RRRRAAAWWWRRR!!!

It really is very cool looking! I know that weight wasn't a consideration when designing this, but do you know what the completed gun weighs? I'm also thinking that you need to make some type of housing that disguises the receiver, that way everyone that sees it will think it's some revolutionary new firearms design. As Blue mentioned, I think that if you make some complementary housing for the reciever and post pictures, you may have Hollywood calling you to order some to feature in the next big Sci Fi film.

Guest LLArms

It really is very cool looking! I know that weight wasn't a consideration when designing this, but do you know what the completed gun weighs? I'm also thinking that you need to make some type of housing that disguises the receiver, that way everyone that sees it will think it's some revolutionary new firearms design. As Blue mentioned, I think that if you make some complementary housing for the reciever and post pictures, you may have Hollywood calling you to order some to feature in the next big Sci Fi film.

It is close to the 40lb mark fully configured and loaded. Its not for the faint of heart.

Can't really say I started this with the idea of selling movie props, I just want to make a fun benchrest application.

Something that large could be powder coated or even a spray on bed liner. Good, hard, textured, and resilient... and it wouldn't get hot in the sun!

Parkerizing, anodizing, painting, just begs for sun rays to heat up the metal.

Just saying, it would be one hell of an option??

Never considered this.  This finish is actually blued. Wonder how that works in the heat.

Guest LLArms

Updated and consolidated OP with pictures and additional information.

I thought it was time to lay out the project rules we have operated on since day one, but never really discussed in the public with much detail.

Guest LLArms

Yea well bad news for everyone. Seems USPS translates "Saturday" to "Monday"  >:(

I had to press zero no less than 10 times on their customer service line to get a human being.

Gonna call the local facility and see if its sitting around.

Edit: Got to be kidding me. Closed 8 minutes ago. #$%^*@#&*%@