• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grilling

imschur

Wife's birthday party July 3, had a live band and 150 people. I brined them for 24 hours, then slow smoked 6 of these pork shoulders on my two smokers for 13 hours. When I cleaned up after the party, I had enough left for two small sandwiches. Guess I gotta do it again for myself! Band rocked! My legs have hurt for three days.post-13300-0-13342700-1436290394_thumb.jpost-13300-0-52515800-1436290442_thumb.j

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sisco...what was your brine made up with?    :) Wash

Simple brine. I cup of salt per 2 gallons of water, i tablespoon of pepper per gallon of water, and a whole mess of bay leaves. Got a new Grillin King Akorn and a charcoal tower smoker. Put four shoulders in the tower smoker, and 2 in the Akorn. The Akorn is similar to a big green egg but lighter and cheaper. It uses insulated twin wall steel instead of ceramic. See the picture. We do it for the wifes birthday every 10 years. My birthday is during deer season, so we can't do it then.post-13300-0-93319600-1436320391_thumb.j

Wife bought some patio furniture to assemble first. Then there was a little work to get this bastard together. 3 burner on one side, charcoal and fire box on the other. Extra 12000 burner off the side for whatever else comes along...never used that side burner on any grill I've owned before. I'll find something to do with it I guess.

post-11192-0-51713200-1436764355_thumb.j

post-11192-0-43510500-1436764381_thumb.j

Now, I need some help. Propper thermometers, right way to get her seasoned....quick tips for the beginner. Hoping to take a stab at some smoking next weekend.

I've got a few upgrades to do. This was a cheaper grill, so it's got a few bugs. Guys have been blocking down the hole between the fire box and the main chamber, sealing up leaks around doors and elsewhere with added green egg gaskets and RTV. Then I need to put a little flashing in the exhaust pipe to force the heat and smoke to work a little lower before exit. Gotta talk to a buddy out here who had a good source for a good variety of wood. Need to pick up a charcoal starter....hell, what else?

DNP  the maverick is great....so is the I grill      http://www.amazon.com/iDevices-7685-IGLK-Thermometer-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B004WG560W/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1436802166&sr=8-14&keywords=igrill+2

you can find closeouts all over    So is it a woodburning side burner or all propane?  :) Wash

To burn it in fire it up to high temps and let all the paint burn off....a few hours...if it uses wood

and charcoal...get lump charcoal....hickory oak mix is good....peach is excellent .

its all in knowing your smoker....mess with the chimney for proper smoke and heat....in the summer bout 2 fingers between chimney top and vent stack will get you in the ballpark or in your case slide the cap to bout half open....you are looking for a light blue smoke...not too white   :) Wash

Edited by washguy

Awesome, thanks guys! Like two grills welded together one side is gas and the other is wood burning. I wonder if I could cut through between them and use the whole thing for smoke.....

Edited by DNP

When you break her in...since its both gas and wood....light off both sides to burn off the new  :) Wash

so the box on the left is for wood? then gas on the other side?  Heck yes cut some kind of  adj.door between the two sections...then you got a side burner wood smoker I would think.

its gotta draft though to the main grill  :) Wash

Edited by washguy

Been told for several years lake trout out of Lake Michigan aren't wroth eating. One guy I've told get me one I'll smoke it it'll be awesome, his reply nope they're way to oily. Well my buddy went over there and brought my three back 20-24" long. I steaked them and put two in my go to brine another in a maple rum brine I found, let them brine for a day and smoked them at 225 for 4.5 hours with Apple wood. The bits I tried are really good I'll vac seal them tomorrow night wish I could do them tonight but I don't have time to wait for the to cool

Half way thru

2D29BC5C-8C98-4CE7-8AC5-0352DB807681_zps

And done

9E5331E6-A5EB-4AC7-B89B-01D9261108C6_zps

A83F4452-9C66-4D65-A1CE-7D6DAC8B1836_zps

37C96FB1-BF7B-4570-AF1A-9EEE13AABF6B_zps

Edited by shepp

Rene it's super easy you should make some

Hell I've done it with fillets from Sam's

1/2 cup non iodized salt

2 c apple juice (I end up with more like 3 depending on my container and meat coverage)

1/2c brown sugar

Then I normally add a few table spoons of diced garlic, onion powder and parsley

Let It soak 8+ hours in a non metallic dish

Smoke with pecan apple or cherry 3-5 hours at 225

I prefer Apple or cherry

Edited by shepp

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic