• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The Only Purpose For A Pistol...

planeflyer21

...is to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have laid down."  Clint Smith

So who of you carry a rifle that will be within "fighting back distance" at any part of the day?

I know a lot of people in smaller communities that have "truck guns", the trucks usually not being to far from where they may be.

If it were socially acceptable, as in Israel and Switzerland, would you sling your rifle and have it with you at all times?

Jon

Caught a episode of Combat pawn some guy in a wheelchair,para that had an accident comes in for a .308.They set him up with a FN .308 and a high end scope [swavorski] and then don't even provide a rest for the rifle as he tries it at indoor range [whats that 50ft.] did they have to take all his money? Anyway he comes in with 2 guys that have rifles slung in front of them [no mags]standing on both sides WTF.All these pawn show don't give you poop for your stuff and resell at high dollar.First and last time watching that show.And it's suppose to be run by vet's you would think they would look out for thier own.

Had a lady student that was paraplegic, took a basic pistol class.  She was planning on getting a revolver with a 6" barrel to conceal in her chair.  ;D

There's a HUGE difference between Liberty and my .357 Marlin, which can be carried all day by about anyone.

Forget whose school it is but they make students carry their rifle EVERYWHERE, to get used to it.  Gets to a point where you feel naked with out your rifle.

How I feel without my pistol now.

Jon

Had a lady student that was paraplegic, took a basic pistol class.  She was planning on getting a revolver with a 6" barrel to conceal in her chair.  ;D

There's a HUGE difference between Liberty and my .357 Marlin, which can be carried all day by about anyone.

Forget whose school it is but they make students carry their rifle EVERYWHERE, to get used to it.  Gets to a point where you feel naked with out your rifle.

How I feel without my pistol now.

Jon

Jon  right on the money! thats why Char is having a shield 9mm custom built...slide,trigger,melt job,and grip work for her carry.....when she met me a year and half ago she had never touched a gun....Mom always told me I was a good influence on people <laughs> Wash

Perhaps the more urban/suburban saying should be "A pistol is only good for fighting your way back to your SHOTGUN!"

I'm getting ready to mod out my Mossy 930 Grace.  Going to get a turkey barrel and a longer mag extension...should be able to boost capacity up to 11 or 12 rounds.

Jon

I agree. Though I feel I'm more proficient with a pistol, you'd be a fool not to recognize the power and accuracy of a long gun.

A shotgun's nice (as long as you remember and are able to constantly feed it), but I'm too used to a carbine.

Maybe a PDW to carry as a compromise? I've gotten to shoot the hell out of MP7's out here and though the round is anemic, I still wouldn't want to be shot by one. 

Sporting a weapon of any kind in my vehicle (1996 Toyota T100 SR5 4x4) is socially unacceptable around these parts. If I could I would haul my .44 magnum chambered Winchester model 94 Trapper. My Glock to get to Trapper, Trapper to get to LR-308. That's fantasy in the SF Bay Area LoL!!!

If it were socially acceptable, as in Israel and Switzerland, would you sling your rifle and have it with you at all times?

Jon

Yes, I would, everywhere.  Honestly.

Retired military, and I'm used to carrying a rifle - it's the MAIN necessity, and all it takes to feed it and keep it running.  Add mission essential equipment.  Everything else is a luxury.

On one Afghanistan deployment, load weight was a mission consideration, and I had everybody ditch the pistols.  First, they were M9's.  Second, we were going WAY up in the hills.  Ultimately, if we needed M9's way up there, we were fucked anyway.  poop-canned the pistols in order to carry the same weight of the  pistol/all it's ammo (per man), in radio batteries.  We ended up using the batteries, and sure a hell didn't need the pistols. 

That's a different spin on the situation, but I'd still carry a rifle everywhere, if "the uninformed" wouldn't freak the fukk out over it...  <dontknow>

I ALWAYS carry concealed, at work, out of work, during the day, everywhere (with very few exceptions to that).  Occasionally, I open-carry.  I've had questions asked, in public...  "Why do you need that?..."  Instead of telling them "..rather have it and not need it, than the other way around..."  I simply say"

"If you don't exercise your rights, you will lose them.  That goes for the 2nd Amendment, too."

I haven't had anyone try to counter that one before. 

Really?

I've never had anyone ask me poop when I open carry.  Pumping gas once there was a group of homeless bumming change...men and women.  I heard one say "I'll go ask him for a buck," and the others said "Don't ask him!  He's wearing a gun!"  To which the first guy said "I don't give a fornicate...I'm just asking for a dollar!"

I gave him a buck and his buddies looked amazed that I didn't blow him away.

Maybe those vibes just ooze from me?  <dontknow>  :cookoo:

There's been times when engaging people in conversation for several minutes, then they say "Holy crap!  You're carrying a gun!"  The reply is "You just noticed that?  Good thing I wasn't a threat."

<laughs>

We should start rifle carry...you start in SV and I'll start up here in Marana (don't trust TPD).  Liberty with the Eotech and a vest of mags.

I'll start in Naughton's Heating and Plumbing, walk in and say "Is this sign for real?  No handguns allowed?"

<lmao>

Jon

When I know I'll be working late - and I leave everything in the back of the shop opened up - I take a 14.5" 5.56 rifle to work.  As soon as everyone leaves, I load it, and keep working. 

I've responded to the security system going off twice now with a pistol in a holster, but that 14.5" in my hands, on a single-point sling around me.  Once, I beat the police there, and once I didn't.  The time I got there before them, they kinda freaked the hell out when we let them in, but they didn't really say anything.  The time I arrived after they did, they were out back and I had to let them in.  I arrived at the back of the shop, and they weren't right there by the back door, but right around the side of the security fence.  I got out of the truck with a rifle in one hand and keys in the other, and I got told to ALTO right fucking now.  I did, too, quickly.  It resolved itself, but not without some drama in the immediate sense.  That was a LONG discussion...  :o

From that point forward, the local PD knows that the personnel that work there WILL show up armed when the alarm company sounds their signal... 

Now, I shoot with some of them on a closed range...  <laughs> <lmao>

[quote author=planeflyer21 link=topic=4155.msg37487#msg37487 date=1345346419

We should start rifle carry...you start in SV and I'll start up here in Marana (don't trust TPD).  Liberty with the Eotech and a vest of mags.

I'll start in Naughton's Heating and Plumbing, walk in and say "Is this sign for real?  No handguns allowed?"

<lmao>

Jon

wish i could open carry, I carry concealed as often as possible. at home their are two safes, and we keep pistols in the small one in the bedroom, and have practiced on how to get to the bigger one in the office to get to the shotgun. for us at home, the spx is the best option, but the rifles are in the same safe, so it's a easy choice once you're there!

The time I arrived after they did, they were out back and I had to let them in.  I arrived at the back of the shop, and they weren't right there by the back door, but right around the side of the security fence.  I got out of the truck with a rifle in one hand and keys in the other, and I got told to ALTO right fucking now.  I did, too, quickly.  It resolved itself, but not without some drama in the immediate sense.  That was a LONG discussion...  :o

From that point forward, the local PD knows that the personnel that work there WILL show up armed when the alarm company sounds their signal... 

Now, I shoot with some of them on a closed range...  <laughs> <lmao>

that's funny, only cause it ended ok, but funny i tell ya!  <lmao>

This is my favorite news article about open-carry in Arizona.  A man at an Obama visit in Phoenix was "wearing" a rifle over his shoulder - several were, actually. 

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-08-17/politics/obama.protest.rifle_1_protesters-weapons-assault-rifle?_s=PM:POLITICS

CNN cropped the hell out of their picture, and has since amended their new article, but the original was all about someone that didn't like Obama, and it was a possible race issue, yada yada yada... 

Here was MSNBC's article, and a clearer picture of the man:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32457652/ns/politics-white_house/t/man-assault-rifle-attends-obama-protest/

AZCentral article:

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PHXBeat/60504

You can't find any of the original CNN articles about "race" anymore - dead links.  It was definitely not a race issues, as they tried to portray, though...  <laughs>

I don't want people seeing that I'm carrying as that might potentially make me a target for a gun grab, or worse yet, if someone/ group was dead set on robbing the place I was at.

I don't understand that part of your post.  How does someone seeing you in an open-carry situation think that they can target you, and take your gun? 

For a pistol, I never carry less than 19 rounds of .45 ACP.  One in the chamber, with an 8-rd mag under that, and there's always a 10-rd mag as a reload on my left hip.  I'm not saying that I can take down 19 people with the ".45 ACP" theory, but there better be alot of bastards coming for my gun, if they think they can just "take it..."  :o

I just don't get it, here.  <dontknow>

I'll see if I can find the email, but I had this conversation on another forum about open carry vs concealed. Mas Ayoob (gun writer/instructor/expert witness) had related numerous instances where people who were openly carrying were targets of gun grabs. Do you think a drunk person is fully aware of the rammifications of a failed gun grab, and would actually think twice about it?

I'm just saying I'd rather be the one nobody expected to start returning fire.