• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

? on short stroking

seasprite

After church on Sunday went over to our associate pasters place to do some shooting and took my LR308 with me and 40 rounds of 175gr PPU ammo. I loaded 5 rounds in the magazine and shot all 5 with no problems, so I loaded 5 more rounds and gave it to a friend of mine and he experienced short stroking so I turned up the gas on the gas block by a 1/4 turn and he still experienced short stroking. After he finished I handed my rifle to my son who also experienced the same thing so I took the rifle from him put some rounds down range no problems, hand the rifle to my associate paster back to short stroking again.

So what gives is my rifle in love with me :love4: and doesn't want anybody to touch her or what  <dontknow> can you guy's think of what cause this because it runs flawless for me so I'm not to worried but curious as to the cause. The only difference that I can think of is that I was shooting left handed and everybody else was shooting right (shouldn't make a difference). So whachya think?

Soft shoulder? Were they standing and shooting? Your son and AP might not be pulling the rifle in as tight. A weak shoulder/stance is the same as limp wristing an automatic pistol. Set them in a bench, and I bet the problem goes away. Not knowing their size, I'm just guessing they might not be big enough to shoot that rifle in a standing position.

Yes we were standing shooting off hand. I can see the soft shoulder on a couple of the people that shot it but I don't think a couple of the other people that shot it would soft shoulder it. Is it possible to seal off the vent hole with your shoulder and cause short stroking? It was cool out and we did have on heavy jackets. 

Huh? What vent hole? I don't think I've ever seen a hole on the stock that vents air. What stock are you using?

Do you mean the exhaust ports on the side of the BCG? You would know if you were covering those.

Or is he meaning the hole on the back end of the buffer tube??????

Just added a butt pad to my RRA Tac Car stock didn't see any holes like that. <dontknow>

Pop your collapsible stock off and look at the end of the receiver extension - should have a vent hole in it.  Rifle-length receiver extension have a screw going into the back of them, centered - the screw is vented.  <thumbsup>

I think the stock screws with holes in them are for draining water , the buffer its self has enough play to allow bypass air past it . I have them in rifles with & with out holes & no problems.

You don't have to have limp stock weld to short stroke , if the stock slips off the shoulder , it can cause the same problem.

I'm not a fan of adj. gas blocks .