• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Effective range of Eotech

Magwa

Effective range depends on the one you buy, brother.  It's a 65moa large circle with a 1moa center dot - it's by far my favorite optic to use for longer distances, over the Aimpoint.  Smallest dot on any Aimpoint is 2moa.

Some EOTechs have a BDC built in, and they're very well worth it. 

There were a couple threads on the red dots that went into MUCH detail - find those, and it'll definitely help you make a decision.  <thumbsup>

I am thinking of getting one for a A2 flat top A3 i guess you would call it and i am trying to decide on keeping the 20 inch upper or getting a M4 upper and use it with the A2 stock with a eotech, so it would be for a 5.56 not a 308. I will keep my BDC scope on that it works great..

I have a 556 with the dots, it's my avatar. Not related to your question but something has changed with my vision and now I cant use these sights. Regular dots like Aimpoints are fine.  There are eye conditions that cause problems for some of the population when using the Eotechs. Try one if you can before you throw your cash down.

I use a 553 model on my SBR FAL. Not exactly made for hunting 4-leggers at distance, but it holds a good pattern at the 50 to 100 yard range. Could probably hold a tighter group........but the damn range has been too damn crowded the last couple times I've taken it out to try and get it fine-tuned.

For what it's worth..........................

I am thinking of getting one for a A2 flat top A3 i guess you would call it and i am trying to decide on keeping the 20 inch upper or getting a M4 upper and use it with the A2 stock with a eotech, so it would be for a 5.56 not a 308. I will keep my BDC scope on that it works great..

Mike, if you're going to run it on a 5.56 gun, then...

Will you ever use night vision?  If not, get a 512 basic model.  If you might be into night vision in the future, get one of the 550 series.  Now, with a 512, with 1-moa center dot, run a 25-300 zero, aim low on 50s, and you're pretty much right there on everything else.  Slight holdover on a 400, it's great.  So, basically, 25 to 400, with minimal sight changes.  Anything, really, from 50 and in, you just use the large 65-moa circle - if it's in that circle, and in that range, it's probably leaking after you pull the trigger...  ;D

If you want to try one out, I'd send you mine.  Shoot it, see if you like it.  It's painted FDE, so that might turn into a whole other corruption - you need to be aware of that up front...  <lmao>

you just use the large 65-moa circle - if it's in that circle, and in that range, it's probably leaking after you pull the trigger...  ;D

<laughs>

I have a 512 (in FDE Tom) mounted on Liberty.  Like it so much I got a black one for the ladies' 2VA lower project from Chief for $320 or so.

Tom's words have iron in them.  25/300 zero on Liberty...sight-n-squeeze...DING.

Jon

where can you find one for 320 or so ? I take you guys word on this one I know they are good sights and 25 to 300 is plenty of range for this particular gong ringer in fact that sighting  is what i use on all my hunting guns...

98Z5V, thank you for the very kind offer but i do not think i will have a problem with it just needed to hear from a few of you guys who have experience with them I am sold  and I see no night vision in my future just to spendy for this old man now i just need to find one , then i will need to find two cause the wife is gonna love this I know already.. :)

I don't remember who posted the original link but someone had announced that Chief was having a 25% off sale on ALL Eotech sights.  That was back in early November.

Keep your eyes open and you'll find a good deal.

The FDE version was on clearance at the local Sportsman's Warehouse, like $75 off.  Got it for less than $400.

Find someone that has one and is now drinking the Aimpoint kool-aid, you could get a good deal.

Jon

saw a link to it on the az shooting forum. wish i bought 2 since im sure ill have another eotech at some point. i almost drank some aimpoint koolaid because the eotech wont co-witness with the VLTOR rail, but it doesnt matter anymore with the QD and i would much rather use the eotech.  also figured out my back yard is almost exactly 25m long. add laser boresighter. no more wasted ammo at the zero range :)

2012-12-29%252013.52.12.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok got word from fish and game anything with battery is illegal for big game ......

What?!?!?  Who is the genius behind that one?  A battery powered device somehow makes hunting unfair for the game?  Maybe we should hunt with sticks and rocks too...just to keep things on an even field. Although, I don't know how close I'd like to get to most game...you read 98z's story on roping a deer right?  If not, you gotta track that one down.

Fish and "wildlife" as they now call themselves needs to rethink that policy. That's lame.