• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

China: Our Anti-satellite Weaponry Is a ‘Trump Card’ Against the U.S.

imschur

Yeah what a great time to retire our space shuttles & cut defense spending :cookoo:

You're not thinking globally!  Come on now, get with it...in the interest of fairness and the betterment of those impoverished Third World populations, we need to drive Americans down into poverty while simultaneously weakening America's stance as a leader, in technology and might.

C'mon comrade!

Jon

While it is disturbing reading stuff like this, I would like to think that any military or defense satalite would be better protected....or harder to detect. The civvy GPS is just that....for civilian use.

But the story hits it head on when it talks about average Amercians depending on technology. It's bad enough that people don't have to worry about spelling (spell-check) or performing mathmatics (computers and calculators). The current young generation and future generations ain't gonna be able to read maps.

Do you think when the automobile came out that the old men sat around wondering who would ever know how to hitch a horse?  Times change and we evolve with them.  Some stuff is just going to fade away. When everything crashes and we revert back to the Stone Age, some of us will survive better than others. When Siri can't tell them where to go get gas(not that they're going to need it) what will they do. I highly recommend we all go learn to hitch a horse to a wagon/plow/whatever.

I'm not really giving you poop, the thought crossed my mind while I was reading that. I wonder if we worry too much about some of the things that might fade away. Like writing cursive. Will it really matter?  Or are we just being stubborn old bastards bitching about the kids on our front lawn. Some things need to be known. Math is one of them. If you can't power a calculator, you're hosed.  Reading maps I can see as well, but hey it up to you to learn how to do things without the modern day gadgets. Those who don't will make it easy to thin the herd when the time comes.  Sorry to derail.

Well, I for one, have saddle horses, and a wagon and hitch for the horses!

To me, its like having an extra gun and ammo.    Never can tell when you might need them.

I also have a 20kw generator, and several hundred gal's of gas for it.

No, I'm not a doomsdayest. I just live 10 miles from the "city" in a place where it snows, and power can go out from 1-10 days.

Respectfully

Terry

this is the first thought that came to mind when i read this. sooooooo NASA gets the axe, obamas in chinas back pocket, and now china is testing weaponry to "kill our satelites" WTF!!!!!!!!

I'm not really giving you poop, the thought crossed my mind while I was reading that. I wonder if we worry too much about some of the things that might fade away. Like writing cursive. Will it really matter?  Or are we just being stubborn old bastards bitching about the kids on our front lawn. Some things need to be known. Math is one of them. If you can't power a calculator, you're hosed.  Reading maps I can see as well, but hey it up to you to learn how to do things without the modern day gadgets. Those who don't will make it easy to thin the herd when the time comes.  Sorry to derail.

truth tec makes us stupid. ive got a buddy that has a hard time reading a map anymore, think part of it is to due to head trama from his motorcycle accident tho too.

So they whack out all our GPS.

Harbor Freight sells sextants, to navigate by sun/moon/and stars.

Made of the best Chinese brass.

Jon

Celestial Navigation is a motherfucker to learn, and you have to practice it constantly.

On land, you need to know how to run a compass, protractor, and have a map.  If you want to use maps that are all marked in latitude and longitude, instead of a grid reference system, you better have a 30-cemtimeter ruler that's marked in millimeters, too. 

Or, you're fucked.  <thumbsup>

For a damn good compass, one that will never fail you, I highly, highly suggest a Silva Ranger Type 15CL.  I've had this one since 1988.

100_0640_zps24999393.jpg

It's already got the protractors etched into the body (one less thing to carry), and it's got a 10cm ruler, marked in millimeters etched in the body (one more thing you don't have to carry, and you cam make your own 30cm section for lat/long map measurements).  You can dial in your own magnetic declination with it, so that's one less calculation to make when map reading/land navigation.  What's not to like?...  <dontknow> ;D

Don't buy the Silva Ranger Type 15CLQ - very important.  That's a quadrant compass, and not what you need.

In another lifetime, before I found there wasn't any work in the field, I was knee deep in a Forest Technology AS program. One of the classes was Public Land Survey, and we did it with the Silva Ranger...I still have mine.

IT can be done if you know your pace...we did it all summer. Ranger and a topo map..and I still have both...:D

And my textbook...