• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Range Report, 4th time is the charm?

gsmopar

Reference my previous posts for a history on this build:

I'm happy to report that there are no visible signs of the buffer impacting the detent.  Thanks for the advice, the Tubbs CWS worked like a charm! 

The gun jammed several times in the 1st 50 rounds today.  I checked the gas block and it appears to be seated and not leaking like my previous outtings.  I suspect that it could be the clips (metal DPMS), the ammo (7.62 Winchester), or that the gun needs some more rounds through it.  I split the 2nd 50 rounds between 4 clips, not loading any clip to capacity, and all rounds fired without issue. 

The gun still kicks like a mule.  Before you jump on the "Greg is a female cat" bandwagon; I'm 6'4 @ 215 and the gun left a healthy bruise on my shoulder after about 120 rounds.  I currently have the 5.6 Heavy buffer, and am going to try the heavy Tungsten CWS before going to a muzzle brake.  A bystander at the range commented on how much the gun was kicking me.  I was shooting 7.62 147 grain Winchester rounds (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/725859/winchester-ammunition-762x51mm-nato-147-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-20/?cm_cat=PAN&cm_pla=ProductDesc ).

I was able to shoot 1inch groupings of 3 as I played with the scope and I'm pretty happy with the performance even in my amateur hands.  Pic below is at 100 yards, and I was adjusting the scope after ever 3 or 4 rounds. 

72604_10151411952634426_2130925535_n.jpg

The "smacketh down" had been issued...  <laughs>

"...and you will KNOW my name is the Lord, When I LAY THE SMACKETH UPON THEE!!!"  <lmao>

MaDuce is gonna be pissed, because I spelled "upon" wrong...  Sorry, dude...  <dontknow>

I am stumped by this , I have a dpms 16 inch barrel with m4 stock and it does not hardly kick at all, and i have never had a issue with their mags but i know some folks have , glad you are getting everything tuned up....

Are you in Arizona?  I'd love to swap guns for a couple shots to compare.

No I am in the state Of Idaho On the Nez Perce Reservation it would be fun to get together and see what differences there are..... if you need me to measure or weigh anything just ask more than happy to do it, I have also never had a FTF or FTE and i have shot 4 or 5 different brands of ammo and bullet weights....

Hi GSM   glad your'e getting things sorted out !   Two weeks ago We were at the range,so I decided to change brakes on the new 16" car....so I just had to shoot a round without any brake at all....yeppers the rifles did kick somewhat more....get a good brake on there! ^-^  Wash

All pussiness aside, is this normal?  I'd say that it kicks about 3x more than my old super light lever action Model 94 Winchester 32 Special with the Win using a heavy hunting load.  I can't imagine shooting a full auto version of this gun!

Thanks,

Greg 

I'm curious too, because I have nothing to compare it to. I have been working on "driving it right" on the bipod and being able to watch my shot, but ya, it's a hand full. But more than likely mine is "normal". I can shoot 100 rounds before I start feeling my shoulder, so that is nothing bad as far as I'm concerned.

My 18" DPMS doesn't kick bad at all. I've put 150 rnds through it in one sitting with no ill effects at all, all either sitting or prone with a bipod. Where are you at in Arizona? I'm going to be in Casa Grande for a few days in about 3 weeks and if you're anywhere near there I can bring my rifle and some ammo and meet up with you.

My 18" DPMS doesn't kick bad at all. I've put 150 rnds through it in one sitting with no ill effects at all, all either sitting or prone with a bipod. Where are you at in Arizona? I'm going to be in Casa Grande for a few days in about 3 weeks and if you're anywhere near there I can bring my rifle and some ammo and meet up with you.

3 days?  I can make it up to that range for a session!  Maybe Mike, Tom, and Blue can come too!

Jon

3 WEEKS Jon. I pick Josh up at 29 Palms May 7th. and then go to his sister's at Casa Grande the same day. My son-in-law is taking him wakeboarding Thursday and my wife shows up Friday, but we could squeeze in some range time Wednesday, the 8th or possibly Saturday the 11th.