• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Member Introduction

cowboyarcher

Hello Gentlemen,

I have recently become interested in the 308 AR platform as an alternative for traditional hunting rifles. I am in SE WY where longer (300-400 yards) shots on Mule Deer, Antelope and Elk are the normal occurance and I enjoy the ergonomics of the AR style so that leads me here.

I am in the process of building my first LR308 rifle. I have a complete lower from Sun Devil  and a high end match barrel from Craddock Precision (16" standard profile). Any advice for upper, BCG and handguard selection would be much appreciated.  I hope to eventually build a 300 WSM upper as well for long range work.

This last year my wife and I have been blessed to study the Bible and Christianity full time in a local seminary. It is our goal to pursue God's glory in whatever He leads us to after our studies are done. I hope all my time on this forum and the interactions I will have here will do nothing less than to speak highly of the God I claim to serve.

Thanks all and God bless you!

Adam

Welcome Adam, I don't post or reply to much on here, as evident of my few posts, but the folks on here are some of the most helpful, friendly and informative folks I have ever run across on a forum. I am still building my AR10, down to the scope and mount the $$ and have had many questions and all have been answered, so Welcome! and God Bless.

Thanks fellas! I've been able to locate everything now except a BCG and some mags. . . Excited to begin getting packages and putting pieces together!

for a BCG, if you aren't trying to go cheap, the Harris Tactical nickel boron coated are pretty sweet and in stock still

http://www.harristacticalonline.com/308-762x51-Nickel-Boron-Complete-Bolt-Carrier-Group-NIB-X-FA-HT-NB-308.htm

Mags, I currently have 1 extra LR20 magpul pmag, and one 20 round ACS steel one both new in the package if you are interested

for a BCG, if you aren't trying to go cheap, the Harris Tactical nickel boron coated are pretty sweet and in stock still

http://www.harristacticalonline.com/308-762x51-Nickel-Boron-Complete-Bolt-Carrier-Group-NIB-X-FA-HT-NB-308.htm

Mags, I currently have 1 extra LR20 magpul pmag, and one 20 round ACS steel one both new in the package if you are interested

I'll PM you re: the mags, and thanks for the link on the BCG! I was hoping to go cheaper, but it's not out of the question that'd I'd be able to raise the funds for the Harris. . .  Just need to sell the barrel I have in the classifieds first <thumbsup>

Thanks again guys, I am excited too! Think I have everything ordered now. . .

Here is the build list:

- Sun Devil Billet Lower

- DPMS Parts Kit

- MOE Rifle Stock in OD

- MOE overmold rubber grip in OD

- Used DPMS upper

- EGW free float tube

- Red Rock Ordnance BCG (pre order, should be here in May sometime)

- 308 Match barrel from Craddock Precision, 16" carbine weight. It's SS and built form a Douglas blank.

Should start to take shape over the next couple of weeks. Will need to start getting some reloading supplies as well, 308 is a new round for me.

Thanks again for the welcome guys!

Welcome from Texas!

Sounds like a nice build you got there.

Don't forget some of the little things to complete the build:

• Buffer Tube
  • Buffer
  • Buffer Spring
  • End Plate
  • Back Up Iron Sights?
  • Gas Block (size)
  • Gas Tube
  • Muzzle Brake/Flash Hider
  • Charging Hangle
  • Go / No-Go guage
  • Scope mount
  • Scope

The fellaz here are great and will definitely steer you in the right direction.

Sorry, i mised some things on the list!

-  The lower was complete less the stock and buffer/spring.

- Buffer/spring en route.

- Upper is coming with a VLTOR/BCM CH

- DPMS Muzzle brake

- Gas block/tube are accounted for

- Scope/Mount accounted for

- No BUIS as this will primarily be a hunting rifle. . .

I have the go/no gauages from building Savage rifles I believe as well. . .

Thanks for the input, don't want to miss some parts!

Welcome from AZ . Sounds like a great build, good luck with the last parts.

Like the 300wsm options, I've got one.

Who did your 300 WSM? Did you get a complete upper or just a barrel and bolt?

Craddock is willing to build me one when I can lay down the money. . .

Sounds like the perfect long range hunting rifle to me!

Edited by cowboyarcher

Not sure how to get a photo out of google loaded on this forum, but here are the parts I have acquired:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9Z3ZgwjhM60/UYMJrA4T8vI/AAAAAAAAALg/fseeNQir0tA/w681-h511/2013-05-02

Just waiting on a BCG, the complete lower (should be able to get it from my dealer early next week), optics and some dies and bullets!

Thanks EasyEJL for the mags!

I'm not crazy about the design of the EGW handguard, though it only cost me $75 new. There is no stop nut so you are either supposed to screw it down and secure it with loctite or screw it down until it bottoms out again the receiver. I will end up turning some of the threaded portion off to allow the threads to bottom out I think. It is also has to weigh over a pound! The ID is just slightly over 2" so I think I can fit a piece of carbon tubing into it for the main portion of the handguard while retaining only about 2" of the aluminum. Otherwise, I may be able to turn the threads off the barrel nut and just bolt on a piece of carbon tubing. I'd love to just pick up a Troy or one of the carbon tube available, but this build is already at max budget!

Edited by cowboyarcher

Here is a photo of the nearly complete build:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-vcZjOAw8Cpw/UYwqw8Pc4EI/AAAAAAAAARs/TL4v0CoJZDM/w645-h484-no/2013-05-09

The EGW handguard will need to be modified some (to better mount to the barrel nut, and also to lighten it up), and then some optics and dies and I think it will be ready to go!

Anyone know how to modify the above url to allow if to be included as a photo?

hmm I'm not sure on the URL. I'm pondering a handguard like that for a short barreled 300 AAC i'm going to build (maybe a pistol instead) and going to either cut custom designed vent holes in it, or have it laser etched with what I want.

You are going to love shooting it, a 308 AR is way more satisfying feel wise than a 223 :)