• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 Trigger suggestion

Normally i'm pretty happy with your standard "milspec" trigger in your average AR15 carbine.  However I was beginning to give it some thought as to upgrading my DPMS.  It's not a precision target rifle by any means but rather built more for a general combat role.  People have said anything is better than the standard DPMS trigger for any number of reasons.  And i've heard a lot of praise for Giselle triggers on the AR15 platforms.  Is this a worth while performance upgrade?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Reviving an older post, I chose the SSA-E over the SSA for two reasons.

Lighter overall trigger pull

Crisper break.

I describe the stock DPMS trigger as pulling a 10 pound bowling ball through gravel with one finger.  The SSA-E made a WORLD of difference for me (I use mine for deer hunting).

When choosing a Geissele, read the reference charts first - figure out what you need/want in a trigger, then match that with what they offer in their reference charts.  Believe me, they make something that will suit your needs/wants.

Next - SSA over SSA-E.  They're identical in function.  Identical.  Same trigger, really.  The SSA has a combined pull weight of 4.5 lbs.  The SSA-E has a combined pull weight of 3.5 lbs.  Doesn't sound like much, but it's a HUGE performance difference.  I would recommend the SSA-E every single time, over the SSA.  The extra $$$ in the price is worth it.

Next, again - if it's a Geissele trig, and it has a "D" in the acronym, that just means it has a straight trigger, not a curved one.  For every single Geissele out there that has a curved trigger, there's a version that has a "D" in it with a straight trigger (not counting the new, weird specialty trigs for the SCAR, etc...).  Match up the operations and weights of the triggers, and you can see the curved trigger version and it's straight "D" brother.

• 1 year later...

My Hiperfire works awesome in my ar15 rigs but wont work in my DPMS  308.....it misfires...if you go to their site it sez it may not work in some ar308s....WTF? had to put it back in my 6.8  :) Wash

Works flawlessly on S&W MP-10 <thumbsup> (just loses the 'lefty-lever)

Edited by illusion

My Hiperfire works awesome in my ar15 rigs but wont work in my DPMS  308.....it misfires...if you go to their site it sez it may not work in some ar308s....WTF? had to put it back in my 6.8  :) Wash

WASHGUY; would be curious as to just what prevents the 24-3G from functioning in your DPMS.  I purchased one from the get-go and brought it to their attention that the ambl lever had to be removed and suggested they make a small part (plug) available to fill the void in the lower receiver.  Apparently that fell upon deaf ears.. But I understood that the ambi-problem was to what they referred.

I have a gissele ssa-e in my dpms and I just got a elftman drop in trigger for my 300 blackout after having it here at my home to run it through the paces I like the elf trigger better ... read my review of it in the triggers section page two of the have you seen this trigger thread it kicks A$$

I talked with the owner and he said it may or may not work in a particular DPMS lower and referred me to the website where it said that it may or may not work.....beats me...love the trigger...so i just put it back in an ar15 6.8   :) Wash

So It Does: http://www.hiperfire.com/resources/what-lowers-will-the-hipertouch-fcgs-not-work-in/

I will go with the Timney single with the curved trigger. I don't like a two stage trigger on a field grade piece. They are Okay on competition pieces IMHO.  I reckon the fail to fire could be a case of a small rifle primer vs. a large rifle primer.  However it does seem a bit strange.  I won't ever use a trigger less than 4 pounds pull on a rifle I drag around on a four wheeler or maybe drop onto it's butt. I use a safety sometimes, and sometimes not. I may be lucky I have been shooting ever since I was 7 and in 71 years have never shot anyone I didn't want shot, not even my own foot.

I have a gissele ssa-e in my dpms and I just got a elftman drop in trigger for my 300 blackout after having it here at my home to run it through the paces I like the elf trigger better ... read my review of it in the triggers section page two of the have you seen this trigger thread it kicks A$$

MAGWA; Looks a lot like a TIMNEY to me.  Cost is the same as the 24-3G which I dearly love, so cannot justify buying something else.  The only problem I had was having to remove the southpaw contraption, which I could care less about http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/wsp617/1_zpsd7546e37.jpg.  I machined a plug to replace the release lever and suggested Terry Bender (owner) might consider making them available out of polycarb or something like that as an accessory, but never heard back.  Not hard to make...

yeah I am curious too also the elftman trigger runs on roller bearings and also has two setscrews in the bottom that set the trigger pins , they do not turn or budge period.....but hey i understand it is hard to try new stuff but this trigger is a piece of art..... try one sometime