imschur

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, GRA said:

This is true.  Can you imagine what kind  of damage a hungry bear could in a neighborhood on Halloween night or similar holiday when there's most of the neighborhood kids running around?  Horrifying to think about.  If they aren't scared of humans they're already too dangerous.

Actually the same people i spoke of above saw a bear in their neighborhood on Halloween night, at first they thought it was a costume, but smart enough to realize it was a bear, no one was hurt. bears are t cold blooded killers that hunt people unless sick or been thought to be dependent on humans, quit spewing out BS

I don't know if any of Yall hit FB very often but just this past summer there was a video of a situation at Lake Tahoe involving a momma bear and her 2 cubs.  Right in the middle of broad daylight and during the summer where there were a bunch of folks of all ages swimming, boarding, skiing, etc., AND laying out on the waterside while a momma bear and her 2 cubs were playing in the water.  Not kidding this was absolutely real as you can hear whoever it was doing the filming trippin' out over how the bears kept to themselves.  Gladly nobody bothered them nor did they bother anybody but they were that close amongst people for a good while playing in the water.  We're talking 30 mins. to an hour or so.  Luckily there were no idiots on the beach stupid enough to try them.

Can you only imagine what could've happened if some child kicking a beach ball kicked one towards the cubs and the cubs ran over to play with the ball and the kid?  Momma bear don't care what good intentions are, she's going to protect her cubs from anything she pervcieves to be a threat and she don't know a child is NOT a threat.  Numerous possible scenarios here but it simply was too dangerous with that many people, including toddlers around.

Edited by GRA

8 minutes ago, shepp said:

Actually the same people i spoke of above saw a bear in their neighborhood on Halloween night, at first they thought it was a costume, but smart enough to realize it was a bear, no one was hurt. bears are t cold blooded killers that hunt people unless sick or been thought to be dependent on humans, quit spewing out BS

That's scary.  I don't know what could be worse.  Crazy that when you take your kids out for Halloween you got to bring the artillery just for the bears.  You know  that one bear gets something with sugar in it, all the others around the area are only minutes away.

24 minutes ago, GRA said:

I don't know if any of Yall hit FB very often but just this past summer there was a video of a situation at Lake Tahoe involving a momma bear and her 2 cubs.  Right in the middle of broad daylight and during the summer where there were a bunch of folks of all ages swimming, boarding, skiing, etc., AND laying out on the waterside while a momma bear and her 2 cubs were playing in the water.  Not kidding this was absolutely real as you can hear whoever it was doing the filming trippin' out over how the bears kept to themselves.  Gladly nobody bothered them nor did they bother anybody but they were that close amongst people for a good while playing in the water.  We're talking 30 mins. to an hour or so.  Luckily there were no idiots on the beach stupid enough to try them.

Can you only imagine what could've happened if some child kicking a beach ball kicked one towards the cubs and the cubs ran over to play with the ball and the kid?  Momma bear don't care what good intentions are, she's going to protect her cubs from anything she pervcieves to be a threat and she don't know a child is NOT a threat.  Numerous possible scenarios here but it simply was too dangerous with that many people, including toddlers around.

Found it.  This is what I was talking about:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/185032731-story

28 minutes ago, GRA said:

That's scary.  I don't know what could be worse.  Crazy that when you take your kids out for Halloween you got to bring the artillery just for the bears.  You know  that one bear gets something with sugar in it, all the others around the area are only minutes away.

Have you ever seen a bear in the wild?

Yes, I have.  Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Tennessee, New Mexico.

We might head to Florida this coming March to see some family and maybe catch some manatee action.  Hoping to see one of Florida's black bears there too.

Edited by GRA

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Exactly.  :thumbup:

If they're not scared of humans, my goal is to make damn sure that they are...  :box1:

This Bear was clearly hunting & taking its natural pray , it just happened to catch it in someones back yard , who probably is right on the edge of its natural hunting range . That Bear surely didn't get in that back yard using a Gate ,the yard had to be open to the woods in some way & wasn't stalking or hunting humans , the evening meal had all its attention . Whats with the camera guy , out in the open with a  large hungry Bear , thats asking for trouble .

I agree it could be dangerous for children & Pets , but these people moved in there & should know whats out there . I live in Florida & have all kinds of deadly things in my back yard , yet I know about them & keep an eagle eye out as best as I can . I have Black Bear tracks on the Pond edge right behind my house , never have seen on , but Tracks & fresh Scat tell me they are there & I wont bring up the eight foot Dinosaur I used to see in the Ponds around here . Couple of months ago I watched a rather large BobCat take a Duck right in my back yard.

It is what it is & just shooting everything to make yourself feel better about it is not the answer .

All some very good points!

The granola munchers don't learn very well that nature is nature, and nature trumps cute.  The dumbasses pushed to reintroduce mountain lions up on Pusch Ridge here.  So G&F put a number of juvenile lions.

So they started munching big horn sheep (imagine that).  Huge outcry!  "Moutain lions are killing sheep!  Mountain lions are killing sheep!"  Well G&F, whatch'ya gonna do?  Let's kill the rogue mountain lions feeding themselves.

"Cougar murderers!!" 

:bat:

Be careful in Florida with those manatees.  We've heard of dolphin rape but those manatees are smooth operators.

8 hours ago, GRA said:

Yes, I have.  Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Tennessee, New Mexico.

We might head to Florida this coming March to see some family and maybe catch some manatee action.  Hoping to see one of Florida's black bears there too.

Make sure to empty your pockets of all things sweet before looking for Florida bears I wouldn't want you to get gang raped......

Edited by shepp

1 hour ago, planeflyer21 said:

Be careful in Florida with those manatees.  We've heard of dolphin rape but those manatees are smooth operators.

I'll make sure I do that.  I've been told to bring plenty of cabbage to keep them occupied.

3 hours ago, survivalshop said:

I live in Florida & have all kinds of deadly things in my back yard , yet I know about them & keep an eagle eye out as best as I can . I have Black Bear tracks on the Pond edge right behind my house , never have seen on , but Tracks & fresh Scat tell me they are there & I wont bring up the eight foot Dinosaur I used to see in the Ponds around here . Couple of months ago I watched a rather large BobCat take a Duck right in my back yard.

Where are you in Florida?

Big disappointment back in 2009.  I drove from Tampa all the way through the Osceola National Forest and did not see any bears or gators.  To be honest I've never seen a gator in Florida ever but of course I know they're there.  Never seen a manatee neither.

Since we found one here in Buffalo Bayou in Houston and since one was found all the way up in Chicago I figured they are next on the must-see list.  :thumbup:

4 hours ago, survivalshop said:

That Bear surely didn't get in that back yard using a Gate ,the yard had to be open to the woods in some way & wasn't stalking or hunting humans.   

It appears they're not beyond jumping fences to get in to back yards.  Saw another video on FB where three dogs chased a big one back over a back yard fence.  I'm surprised the fence did drop with it's weight.

32 minutes ago, GRA said:

It appears they're not beyond jumping fences to get in to back yards.  Saw another video on FB where three dogs chased a big one back over a back yard fence.  I'm surprised the fence did drop with it's weight.

Here we go:

A guy a few years ago was bow hunting west of here. A momma bear and a cub were right below him. He made a sound to scare them off, and the cub climbed up the tree, over him and kept on going. Then the momma came up mad! He poked at her with his arrow, ended up getting bit on the leg, she finally got down he got down, and hobbled off. The DNR chose not to hunt down the momma as she was just protecting her cub. A good time to post a picture of my friend George, may he rest in peace.

image.jpeg

Edited by Sisco

That's just bad luck. Friend of mine lives in the UP bears EVERY WHERE!! Normally they mind they're own business although they do come around the houses. The asshole down the road had the stupid thought bears around my house are bad so he "baited" in a large bear with a bag of flour and killed it and told the dnr it was up to no good. Imo that guy should get the same treatment. My friend did have a bear take a 55 gal drum of bait 200 yards into woods and pry the band off (which was tightened on with a 1/2" bolt) the drum it's self was heavy enough two guys had to move it. After that he put a radio in his shed never had another issue