• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Scope mount abuse from .308

Powerman

So, I'm sort of getting tired of my scope mount coming loose.

I used a freinds scope, and that was temporary so I didn't mind. I finally got my Aadmount base and Vortex scope. Trying to get it set up, it loosened up on me. After sighting in, it did. Finally used blue locktite on the scope rings.

I was down for a few months and finally got to go to the range yesterday. I wanted to start working on my groups. I finally figure out my base came loose. I get that tightened and go back to zero on my scope and the turret is loose. Problem is, I don't exactly know where zero is. I mean I have it shimmed, but I don't know exactly how many clicks from bottom to zero. So I guess, and a few boxes of ammo later, I'm back to square one.

Do you have to locktite every thing on the gun? I was reluctant to do that on things I might remove like base and turetts. Is this uncommon on 308?

I clean & de-grease all screws & screw/nut holes

That's the key to it, right there.  Those things are usually coated in a good coat of oil, from the factory.  I use blue loc-tite on scope mounts (base/rings), too, when they're not designed to come off.  If they're gonna come off for something, I used QD mounts, but the rings still get the loc-tite.

Nice mount .

I clean & de-grease all screws & screw/nut holes & use small amount of blue loctight , on all mounting hardware. 

Just incase you are a strong bolt tightener , use manufacturer's rated tightening sequence & or torque values.

That's interesting you say that. I never thought of it. But on my mount, there is oil that has seeped out, and  I never knew locktite to do that. Like I said, I used blue on my rings, but not the mount. But there is that little layer of oil forming. I thought it odd when I saw it.

And I think I tighten stuff plenty tight, and I do use the proper sequence. But I was looking into things and watching people use torque drivers. Ya, that would be much more appropriate.

That's the key to it, right there.  Those things are usually coated in a good coat of oil, from the factory.  I use blue loc-tite on scope mounts (base/rings), too, when they're not designed to come off.  If they're gonna come off for something, I used QD mounts, but the rings still get the loc-tite.

Make sense. I thought I might take the scope off here and there, but didn't want the QD. I might take it all off again, clean it up, and do it over. I think my cross hairs are off too, no matter how good I thought I had it. Things being off level REALLY bother me.

Make sense. I thought I might take the scope off here and there, but didn't want the QD. I might take it all off again, clean it up, and do it over. I think my cross hairs are off too, no matter how good I thought I had it. Things being off level REALLY bother me.

I can,t stand crooked cross hairs either I went and bought a couple of small RV levels then leveled the gun then the scope it works. You might want to try it I think they were $2.00 at Wallyworld.

Pwerman I use this...its cheap and works http://www.segwayreticleleveler.com/

put your rifle in a cradle...put a small level on the top of the rail to make sure its level in the cradle...then use the segway.....always use the fat torque screwdriver from Wheeler to tighten down the screws in the proper inch pounds.......ive never had a problem on any of my scopes getting loosened.....you jut cant use feel on screwing down the scope you should always use the fat inch pound screwdriver...one other thing..you need to have the rifle in a cradle and have the rifle level in it first....a canted scope is no bueno

:) Wash

Ya, I leveled the rail, and then leveled the scope, and went back and forth... but it is still off a hair. Used the turret on the Vortex, but that does not mean it's level. I tried using feeler guages, but could not get a good set to use with all the variables. I was reading the thread in the accurizing forum and saw ther Segway.

The mount has a level. My experience is the same as others... underneath the scope, there is no light and it is pretty hard to see. If they allowed light from behind, but it can't be done the way the base is. But I can see it and when I check, it's usually off, so then I get it level, and the hairs are off. I just need to do it all over again.

• 3 weeks later...

So everything is good to go.  Did everything over. Torqued everything to spec and locked it down. Finally got to the range and actually started working groups. Zero was not very far off. Doing about 1-2 MOA right now. The rifle seems more accurate than me. I'll have to work on it.

But my cross hairs still seem off... Sooo, it seemed where I was using the top of the rail was off, so I used a different spot. And the the level in my scope... I finally figured out what real level is. It's a little deceiving if you do not have light on it. Back to the rang, and my cross hairs seem off to what I think is level. I at least set level to what my scope base said so I could at least go there.

QUESTION: I don't have enough time behind a scope... when you lay your head over the stock, are the cross hairs a little off because you are not straight. Do you know what I mean?... or when you have everything right, you still will see proper level and straight cross hair regardless how you are on the scope? I hope I'm asking that right.