• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Pictures of Girls with Guns

MikedaddyH

9 hours ago, DNP said:

She should have waited a minute and seen if he really meant to harm her I guess.  Notice how it took a few rounds for him to go down?  Had he been on something like PCP it would have been even worse. Did the officer have time to establish all that?  This guy was out to get killed that day. I’m sorry she had to shoot him. Nobody should have to deal with that. And she shouldn’t have to say more than drop the knife.  The guy caused an accident trying to kill himself and didn’t care who he hurt doing it.  I’m sorry if he was having a bad day, or a tough spot in his life - but he forced that situation. 

@Sharpshooter, what is your solution to that one. I’m all ears. 

I really feel bad for how many of the new force of social workers are going to get killed in these situations once we “defund the police” and start sending unarmed mail-order street therapists out to handle  calls. 

All I said was the distance was too great for her to NEED to shoot. She may have needed to if he had come significantly closer. There are other less lethal options they should have tried first. She wasn't alone, she had a partner. @98Z5V, I haven't been in a military personal combat situation, but I did spend years on the street carrying a badge. Policing isn't the same thing as combat. I've had more than one occasion where it was necessary to draw my sidearm but I never had to pull the trigger, which I'm profoundly thankful for.

@DNP, I'm not saying the guy with the knife was going to end up any other way than dead. I absolutely agree with you. My only issue was the timing. They didn't HAVE to pull the trigger that quickly.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

My only issue was the timing. They didn't HAVE to pull the trigger that quickly.

I'm very glad you made it off the street beat without being killed. Hesitation is a really good way to become dead, and if your mindset now is the same as when you served, it seems to me you would've been at higher risk of dying than an officer who isn't going to hesitate when the moment comes.

Please don't mistake my bluntness for malice, I want to see all my brothers in uniform go home safe and whole at the end of the day.

I get where you’re coming from @Sharpshooter, but I still say there is no way to know all the answers you need to know until way after the fact. A knife vs a gun has been proven out to be a dangerous situation more than once. She could have waited until he was 3 steps closer, but she could have missed those shots. What if he increased his speed?  What if...well, what if we “what if” this to death. Armed, instructed to drop it, still advancing. Had that been a rifle shot from 100 yards away I might be a little more on the same page with you.  Justified shoot. 

That Wendy’s shiit that went down....that was a bad one. There are plenty of bad shoots out there....this wasn’t one of them. 

Read a couple articles on the shooting. Someone running for da has stirred up shiit post Floyd death and she has had a couple lawsuits filed by the family. Read in one of them that she’s back on duty. Apparently her daddy is hi up in the police union and been involved in several shootings himself. Not that has anything to do with her shooting. Just relaying some stuff I read. 

Well, the video shows there was a pickup truck/suv  plus a camper plus another suv between her and the perp. Each one of those is about 18 feet long, so that's around 54 feet between them, at least. Then the perp takes (as near as I can count) 8 steps toward the officers. He wasn't running, he was simply stepping. But when he made that last step (still around 7 yards away) she fired.  I still believe there was room to say "Not my job to end you today."" And i'm well aware that this is a tactical decision, one based on your street experience, as opposed to some pie-in-the-sky formula someone who's never done the job may come up with. And I still end up with the position that she fired too soon. Although I can see where someone else could argue the point.

It all goes back to LAPD training and policy and whatever They have established as a threat distance. 7 yards is 21 feet. A 30 year old mail can cover that quickly. Had a similar case of cop assisted suicide here 3 years ago. No choice in the matter.

23 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

But when he made that last step (still around 7 yards away) she fired.  I still believe there was room to say "Not my job to end you today.""

That's 21 FEET.  You'd prefer that he was 3 yards away, before you fire?  Are you serious?

You DO KNOW the 7-yard rule, right?  You were a LEO.  You're aware of the 7-yard rule?...

As a LEO, this might be past your time, but it's something that you should be aware of.  Modern tactics, modern world.  You never let ANYONE that is a threat within 7 yards to you - if they're a threat. 

This 7-yard rule has been written about for decades, in self defence.  Decades.

@98Z5V, you're absolutely right. If an officer has no warning that someone with a knife is coming from 7 yards away, that officer really has no choice but to use lethal force to protect himself. However, the video above shows an officer with a holstered sidearm. That's not the situation we see here. The officer in the original video has her weapon drawn and ready. I get it, guys. Nobody wants to see some crazy fukker come at anyone in blue (or any other type of uniform) and see the officer go down. I don't either! But there's still a question of "did you HAVE to shoot then?" And I think that on this one, she might have waited another second or two before pulling the trigger. Was I there? NO. Were you there? NO. Does that make either of us right? NO! But it should open the possibility for dialogue.

16 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

@98Z5V, you're absolutely right. If an officer has no warning that someone with a knife is coming from 7 yards away, that officer really has no choice but to use lethal force to protect himself.

7-Yards doesn't have a single thing to do with whether an officer knows, or doesn't know.  Has Zero Bearing on it, at all.  Back turned, facing them, nada. Zero Bearing. Whether you know or not comes down to Situational Awareness, and if you DIDN'T know, then you were either ambushed, or your Situational Awareness was fucked up.  You do not let an armed assailant with 7-yards of you, no matter what, if you can control it.  Reason in all that is the very video I posted for you - and you directly.  You see how fast 7-yards is closed, by someone very good with a knife?  Watch it again. 

You DO NOT KNOW what the skill of that armed assailant is - you have no idea.  It might be a street thug - or it might be a knife expert, or a Navy Seal Veteran.  YOU DON'T KNOW what your facing...  Yet you assume... 

...as you said, "On the street." 

This is different times, my friend - probably not the times that you were a LEO. This world right now isn't what you faced, when you were one of them. 

As to your comment about LEO and .mil being different worlds - they're not.  Not anymore.  Wake up, and see what's going on in this country, and tell me it's not like combat in Afghanistan or Iraq.  Oh, wait - you don't know what that's like. 

Today's streets are not what you were patrolling, back in the day.

Edited by 98Z5V

Here's more 7-yards information buried in here, and a very great video.

SORRY!  On-Topic...   Girls With Guns.  This is about 13 miles from my house...   :banana:

image.jpeg.e5511db785f4525ede848ccada31f8ee.jpeg

Edited by 98Z5V