• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

freezer meat... :)

Magwa

Nice .

All the hunters I talk with are always into "The Big Buck " they want to shoot . I have never been one of those types & hunt for meat . Nothing wrong with it , if you want bragging rights , but my belly has always came first. I will shoot a meaty small racked buck in a heart beat.

I hunt in Ohio , which is shotgun or muzzle loader only , sure wish I could take one of my AR's to hunt . I'm jealous.

The Flag is My Fathers from his military funeral 30 year Navy man....Yeah I am a meat hunter too first and formost but only with mule deer have i always enjoyed the challenge of trying to get on the big ones, mostly it is a phyical challenge you first have to get where they live and this time of year that means snows and tough going but i love it.

Man that plate full of food looks goooooooooooooooooooooooooood! had backstraps sweetmeat squash (out of the garden) and salad last night on my way to find a elk this am. last day....

he was a amazing man did 30 years in the Navy retired out at 48 years old ,became a LEO and worked at that till age 55 then hired on with the FAA as a crash investigator and finished out he career there then played golf every day till he passed in 1995, fought in world war 2 and Korean war and was sunk three times.....his last ship the CVS Wasp was my first ship right before they moth balled her.....

Nice deer Magwa!  I've got a couple questions though...#1 which taste better Mule deer or Whitetail deer? People have told me that Elk is better tasting than the deer?

#2 which of the 3 are the most weary and hardest to kill , I'm referring to old wise bucks (if there were equal herd sizes of course) ? <munch>

Deer out here are what they eat, there is no sage brush in this part of the state so the deer and elk all eat the same food. Most people complain of the taste of Mule deer is like sage brush well there in none here and they taste like elk and they are bigger so you get more meat for the bang..... they live in different country than the white tails do but they do overlap in places  I will see both species while hunting....

A big mature MD lives in very tough steep terrain he is hard to hunt because of where he lives, his eyesight is second to none and his best defense id distance. A WT buck can live in your back yard and you never see him so they both are hard to hunt but for different reasons

Elk can be hard to hunt or very easy depending on where you find them the big bulls are pretty savy about not being caught out in the open but all in all they are not hard to hunt just hard to find as they only live on about 10% of the country you are hunting where as deer can be all over the country....

best to eat in my book  ELK, Moose, MD, WT,  the reason I do not hunt WT deer is they taste so strong in the rut I have shot deer that the dogs would not eat.... never had that happen with MD.....

A big mature MD lives in very tough steep terrain he is hard to hunt because of where he lives, his eyesight is second to none and his best defense id distance. A WT buck can live in your back yard and you never see him so they both are hard to hunt but for different reasons

Elk can be hard to hunt or very easy depending on where you find them the big bulls are pretty savy about not being caught out in the open

The real reason for the difficulty is because...

All these bastards are FDE.  God made them that way.  Hard as hell to spot, because it's the perfect color.  Kinda like rabbits and squirrels, too.

I'm just sayin'...  <lmao>