• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Armalite Non-forward assist BCG?

*GOT IT!*  See the latest post for details.

Folks, I'm in the middle of a retro build, using an AR-10B non-forward assist upper.  Armalite only carries a forward assist type serrated BCG at this time.  Did they ever carry a non-forward assist BCG?  I'm sure they did, so I'm probably doomed to beating the bushes for a used unit - or is there another option available to me?  Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks folks!

Edited by 2336

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I'd rather not use one of the serrated units only for the looks.  As far as the build - I'm having the brass deflector milled off the upper receiver, then gonna stamp the lower forward part of the left upper receiver, like the original earlier Telko uppers with "Cal. 7.62 NATO - ser.USxxxx69, then re-anodize the whole thing.  I'm going to use the original brown handguards with the round handguard cap.  If I can't locate one of the AR-10A2 20" barrels I'll probably get one of Rainier's 20" match barrels, have an A2 FSB mounted and get the barrel turned down to .650 in front of the gas block.  The lower will use a non-trapdoor M16 stock and pistol grip, both dyed to match the handguards.  Not sure whether I'll modify a three prong A1 flash hider or maybe modify one of the Surefire SOCOM three prong units.

Edited by 2336

Sounds like you're modifying an A2 receiver for this. So I'm guessing that you're not going to have the charging handle "inside" the carry handle. I've been on the hunt for one of the original 10B patterns for quite some time myself.

You've got you're work cut out for you my man. Hope you keep us informed of your progress. I'll keep my eye out for a carrier and a 20" barrel, and post up if I come across anything.

Besides Armalite themselves, you might wanna periodically keep an eye on these sites:

http://www.762sass.com/catalog.php

and

https://delta3tactical.com/store/categories/AR%252d10%7B47%7DM14-%252d-.308-Cal.-Products-and-Parts/AR%252d10/

With Delta 3. I'd definitely call them before ordering. Their website is sometimes behind their actual inventory. I'm not bashing them. I've bought carrier's and other parts from them in the past. They're good to go in my book. Just double check before ordering.

No, the receiver actually is an AR-10B model.  When Armalite sales e-mailed me and confirmed that they weren't going to be making or selling anything A2 related for the next two years I went on the hunt.  I started checking out Gun Broker every day and placed WTB threads at several of the forums.  In less than a month someone over at the FAL Files PM'd me and offered an AR-10B stripped upper, with charging handle, the brown handguards and the round handguard cap.  Of course I jumped at that and soon located someone capable of milling off the brass deflector.  Thanks for the links, I didn't know about Delta3, but 762SASS is who I bought my lower from over two years ago.  After buying my lower, which was a blem, I had intended to build an "overgrown M16A1" using an A2 upper and triangular handguards and a three-prong flash hider, but after snagging the "B" upper I've decided to go a different route.  One thing that has me a bit undecided is that I noticed on some of the Port AR-10s they used open three-prong flash hiders and sometimes I see closed flash hiders with three slots.  Fortunately Surfire has several units that look like they'll be excellent foundations to modify for either one.  Thanks again for the help and encouragement.  I hope to be able to post photos of the completed rifle soon. <thumbsup>

So I'm guessing that you're not going to have the charging handle "inside" the carry handle . I've been on the hunt for one of the original 10B patterns for quite some time myself.

MYYYYYYYY BROTHER.  I think I forgot to mention this earlier...  When I went to Vegas and visited Roger, I actually got to fondle THREE of those.  Not one, not two...

You get the idea.  They were original, too...  <dontknow> <laughs>

They were original, too...  <dontknow> <laughs>

Have I ever mentioned that you suck? <laughs>

Bitch of it is. I actually had the opportunity to get a "real" 10B years ago. But that was just after going through my separation with the ex-nut. Couldn't come off of the 1400 that they wanted for it then. Now.........I couldn't be stroking the check fast enough for that sum-bitch.

Keep on getting up 2336. I'll definitely like to see this thing come together for you.

You guys have no idea how excited "I" got when I heard "original" 10B. I almost ripped my pants off.......and not with my hands.

I'd go on......but you guys know how I am when it comes to Armalite's (HEY.....it's a sickness okay?). AND, this is the G rated area of the board. <lmao>

Nope. Wouldn't work. I keep my electronic warfare package running at maximum interference at all times. After all, in my area, we have the NSA, CIA, FBI and who's knows who else is possibly listening or watching at any given time. <laughs>

Oops, that's right.  You've probably got more of "them" per square mile than any other state, with the exception of D.C. itself. :eek:

Edited by 2336

• 4 weeks later...

Found one guys!  Talk about luck!  I was perusing the Equipment Exchange at another forum and a guy was selling an older, non forward-assist bolt carrier.  Of course I jumped on it!  It was a bit pricey but still cheaper than going through Armalite who doesn't have that particular one anyway.  And speaking of Armalite, Pat in their sales dept called me to verify some info and I was able to at least order the last few bits and pieces, other than the barrel.  And on that topic, I think I'll be getting one of Rainier Arms stainless match 20" barrels and getting it re-profiled in front of the gas block.  With the particular three-prong flash hider that I'm thinking about using, I can build a Sudanese, Guatemalan, or Cuban version.  It all depends on how much work and effort I want to put into modifying the flash hider.  I'll be getting started on re-profiling an A1 pistol grip and then painting it and the Type D stock I've got sitting here.  I'm hoping to be able to post photos sometime late Jan.

That man has been a godsend!  Awhile back on a whim, I called to inquire about ordering a few items, some of which showed out of stock - the rifle length gas tube for one.  Pat took my order and said that as soon as they were in stock he'd ship and then charge my card.  I don't know what kind of magic he worked but those items came back in stock and shipped faster than a lot of other merchants ship in stock parts!  And I got another call from him today to verify some info, and I believe some other out of stock items mysteriously came in and are on their way to mid Georgia!  If it is indeed Pat Raley, thank you kind sir!;)

• 2 weeks later...

Additional good news about Pat at Armalite!  I received another package from Armalite this Friday with the last few parts needed to complete my non forward assist BCG!  Thank goodness I have been fortunate enough to contact Pat!  The only part I lack now to complete my "Cuban/Portuguese/Guatemalan AR-10" build is the barrel.  And unfortunately it seems like that is one of the few items that absolutely cannot be found right now, at least not at Armalite.  Everything else that I needed Pat was able to get it shipped!  Thank you sir!  if I ever meet you in person you've got many beers coming! <thumbsup>