• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Armalite Non-forward assist BCG?

You guys have no idea how excited "I" got when I heard "original" 10B. I almost ripped my pants off.......and not with my hands.

I'd go on......but you guys know how I am when it comes to Armalite's (HEY.....it's a sickness okay?). AND, this is the G rated area of the board. <lmao>

After that, this is for Rsquared.  All hail braceman!  He is the machining god that makes magic!  I sent him this:

c7a350f9-4332-40a7-a751-0ada0ef530b6_zps

AR-10BLH_zpsb6aa14f6.jpg

And he sent this back:

100_2251_zpsc0a759f6.jpg

98cb9bf6-19b4-4879-b29d-047a782e2efa_zps

All I have to do now is get a barrel and a flash hider to modify and I can start building!

Edited by 2336

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 10 months later...

Quick update folks,

Had to go with a Rainier Arms 20" barrel which arrived Monday, the 27th.  Have to ship that off to get the visible portion of the barrel forward of the FSB re-profiled down to .625", going to have a standard FSB mounted.  That will probably be a temporary measure until I can snag a real Dutch FSB or one of the retro reproduction units that someone over at another forum had made awhile back.  Getting the handguards (original AR-10B round units) and pistol grip redone in the brown "mottled" finish.  Have an exact copy of the "Cuban" flash hider getting parked.  Hopefully will have everything assembled and photographs posted by the end of November.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the flash hider I had made.  It is an exact duplicate, using the Dutch Artillerie Inrichtingen drawings, with the exception of the internal threads.  They've been done in 5/8x24 instead of the 13x1 LH.

CubancloneFH_zps56febf7d.jpg

Edited by 2336

I can't wait to see this beast completed - and I understand the time involved, not pushing you at all.

I know ONE fella here that will rip his zipper when this thing is done...  <lmao> <laughs>

I'll try to be gentle with Rsquared! ^-^   I too have "had a thing" about the early AR-10s.  This is just my humble tribute to what I believe should have been our next battle rifle after the M1 Garand, had not politics and other BS intervened.  I think that had saner, more logical minds been on the weapons boards the FAL and the AR-10 would've been slugging it out.  Don't get me wrong, I like the M-14/M1A but think the AR-10 and FAl would've been better choices.  And I'll post photos ASAP! <thumbsup>

P.S.  This will probably become an "on-going project"  so I'm looking at getting the "fence" on the right side of the lower receiver milled off, as well as the protrusion around the opening of the mag release on the left side.  The stock that you'll see initially might get replaced by a version with the sling swivel bolted to the left side similar to what was seen on the Dutch and Portuguese AR-10s.

Edited by 2336

• 1 month later...

Well folks, it just might be zipper rippin' time.  Here's some photos to whet Rsquared's appetite!

100_3097_zpsb498f854.jpg

100_3096_zpse3027171.jpg

100_3098_zps2f6ba60d.jpg

100_3099_zpsb3083716.jpg

Folks, the handguards were included when I bought the upper receiver and are the original Armalite pieces that were included on the AR-10Bs.  I had them and the A1 pistol grip refinished by John Thomas of Retro Arms works in his "mottled brown" finish.  I refinished the type D M16A1 stock using Krylon Fusion plastic paint in "Expresso".  John Thomas also mounted the FSB which is an M16A2 unit and reprofiled the barrel thinner forward of the FSB.  The flash hider is an exact replica of the flash hider used on the Cuban AR-10s that were ordered by Bautista and intercepted by Castro's forces.  This was made using the factory drawings provided by AR10.nl and only differ from the specs by using 5/8x24 threads common to modern AR-10s/LR308s.

I figure my next step is to see about getting the "fence" on the right side of the lower milled off, as well as the little protrusion around the magazine catch on the left side.  Then I'll have to see about making a larger version of the 2-piece front pivot pin like what was used on the SP1.

Guys, this is a work in progress so any and all recommendations are welcome.  Thanks for looking.

P.S.  For those that are interested you can reach John Thomas at jntmjt1@yahoo.com.  His prices are very reasonable and he's got very quick turn-around.  Plus, he's got a jig for AR-10s/LR308s now so he can do that type of work now!

Edited by Matt.Cross