• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I need a lightweight

Microgunner

Best bang for the $$$

Daniel Defense M4 v7 lightweight (DDM4V7LW)

https://danieldefense.com/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v7-lw-no-sights-lightweight-barrel.html

If you can find one... This is likely the lightest, all metal AR you can find for an affordable price. Hard to be the quality of a DD rifle.

Edited by Robocop1051

Built my kid a lightweight full-metal AR for his 15th birthday.  Only time I bought a complete upper assembly.  Went with the BCM lightweight carbine-gas 14.5" with the pinned A2X flash suppressor.  Used a Surplus Ammo & Arms stripped lower with MOE stuff and a mil-spec buttstock setup.  Used a brand new KAC RAS rail on it with KAC foregrip.  Wanted something he could handle easily, but also never, ever worry about.  It's not sub-5lbs or anything, but it's definitely not heavy, although it is heavy duty.  <thumbsup>

Picked up a used AR15/M4 a couple weeks back for $600....found it on backpage.com.

CMMG upper + anderson lower, 16" SS barrel, non float alumium quad rail, picatinny gas block....nothing special but compared to the 308 it's like a puny rifle and weighs next to nothing.

...I'm not completely sold on the carbon FRP uppers/lowers like the Bushmaster C-15 or the cheap Windhams quite yet - and I suppose it says a lot since I do a good amount of aerospace carbon fiber work.

Best bang for the $$$

Daniel Defense M4 v7 lightweight (DDM4V7LW)

https://danieldefense.com/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v7-lw-no-sights-lightweight-barrel.html

If you can find one... This is likely the lightest, all metal AR you can find for an affordable price. Hard to be the quality of a DD rifle.

One of our distributors has this rifle in stock. I can get it for 1147.00. Is this a good price?

Go with 7.5" sketch. After all, I'm gonna build one of them too...........just because.

Just because was my answer but his ballistic argument is worth ?? He says I cant hit shyt at 50 yds with a 7.5" barrel why not I say I do it with 2 inch barrel when I'm not siting down!

Just because was my answer but his ballistic argument is worth ?? He says I cant hit shyt at 50 yds with a 7.5" barrel why not I say I do it with 2 inch barrel when I'm not siting down!

Tell him I call bull$hit.  I can hit out to 300 with the 7.5".  Not saying it's deadly at that range, but I can hit steel, with boring regularity.

Next time I'm out, I'll take it with me.  I'll keep the targets.  I'll give you groups from 25, 50, and 100.

The problem is FPS.  You need to keep the projo speed up for the round to perform like it's designed - fragment.  Once it drops under a certain FPS, it won't fragment.  I'll find the precise data sometime, because I've got that info saved and stored.  Basically, on a 7.5", you're only "effective" out to about 75 yards.  Beyond that, no fragmentation.

There's also a pretty big drop in speed between 11.5" and 10.5". 

20" down to 16" down to 14.5" down to 11.5" - not alot of drop in speed, but almost consistent, inch by inch.  It falls pretty far when you get down to 10.5".  The step down between those two lengths isn't as consistent as the other inch-by-inch tests.

Edited by 98Z5V