• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

2014 black bear tag

shepp

My dad and I put into draw tags this year for Wisconsin and we both drew one. Pretty excited season opens early sept and we got a section that produces some of the largest bear in the state. My dad contacted an outfitter in the Ashland area (right on Lake Superior). Been 10 years in the making.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have two bears in my room... they were about 225# and 300#. I'm done hunting bears. It's too much fuckin work to skin and clean them (compared to other animals). Taxidermy costs a small fortune just for a simple hide tan... and it's near impossible to talk non-hunters into sharing a bear dinner (do you have any idea how long it takes to eat an entire bear on your own!?!)

I have two bears in my room... they were about 225# and 300#. I'm done hunting bears. It's too much fuckin work to skin and clean them (compared to other animals). Taxidermy costs a small fortune just for a simple hide tan... and it's near impossible to talk non-hunters into sharing a bear dinner (do you have any idea how long it takes to eat an entire bear on your own!?!)

I hear you rob, luckily I've got a lot of friends who hunt. Like I said this is something my dad and I have been planning on for years. Not going to be something I do a lot of and in Wisconsin it will take me atleast another 7 years to draw a tag. We're talking to an outfitter right now he baits and will help us gut and drag the animal if need be

Sounds like someone just offered up a MRAD for the season. Too bad its lacking adequate glass and a stabil bipod.

Hahahaha think that's a touch over kill :) think the .308 with some rapid expansion will do the trick. I do want a bear skin rug.......with minimal hole size

Bear hunting can be alot of fun either baiting or running hounds I prefer hounds as you get to run along with the chase which can last serveral hours, it is a young mans game (hounds). Bears are what they eat, in the fall a bear that has been eating salmon is about unedible due to the oil in the meat and the stink, but a bear eating huckleberries is awesome and the fat from him is some of the finest in the world for baking. don't worry about gun size any weapon 270 and up is fine they are not hard to kill, as long as you make a good shot. The problem with bears is the fat in the fall plugs up the bullet hole and there can be very little blood for trailing so use a top notch bullet Barnes or trophy bonded, a bullet that will make two holes one in and one out...

Get a bear to the taxidermist quick as the fat starts to spoil fast and can make the hair slip... have fun and take lots of pictures

Thank you MAgwa great info! I was thinking of stepping up to a barns round for the exact reasons you stated. I've hunted a few different animals with hounds, my dad hunted mountain lion out by you that way, but he was 15 years younger too. The outfitter we are going thru has a walk in cooler on sight. Last year we had a bumper crop of blue berries and I know they gorged themselfs on them, hope for the same this year, I don't think they eat much fish in northern wi but I maybe mistaken.

Thanks again for your input!