• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

htbde

Over the last few months I have been trying to find .22 LR or any .22 for that matter. Here in SoCal all supplies are sold out or those that are available are sold out immediately after restock. Online the cost is horrible(.12 a round) and/or they get you with shipping costs. Most other calibers are available. What is the deal with .22? 

Well it all started with a shooting at sandy hook, "our great leader" already intend on choking out the evil assault weapon for only guberment or drug runner use swore vengeance on those children's lives. The masses freaked out and bought and bought and bought until there was no more. Also the guberment bought and bought and bought. And the populous got shafted once more

The end

Sandy Hook was 556. Its not scarce. Cost maybe inflated but 22 is scare. I ain't buying that scenerio. Maybe its the most popular. There are lines at all the Big 5's every Tuesday to buy..22. Not 556 or 762. I do buy the hoarding reselling scenerio. But the state of Kali with all of its kommie gun laws would lend me to believe that there is a reason beyond Sandy Hook or Colorado theater. Even the gangsters in LA rarely use 22. I guess the common denominator is money. Even with inflated prices no one can keep 22 on the shelves. Not even Walmart.

Because it is affordable and people were and still are able to buy up as much as they can. Most can't afford 10000 rounds of even 9mm....but .22....at normal prices that would be around $300. Now you have ammo to shoot for a while until things get back on line. It's still going on because everyone who didn't get on it early is out now and there are a lot of people searching to refill the cabinets. I didn't keep more than a brick at home. It was cheap and easy to find. Never saw that coming...so I didn't keep stock.

Doesn't make any difference whether you buy shepps theory or not, and it's not meant to be the exact reason we are here, but he's pretty spot on. No kidding, hook was a .556? The caliber had nothing to do with it. It was the explosion of anti gun BS that flew in the wake of that shooting. Much of what we are dealing with today is a result of that shooting.

Cali's attacks on ammunition with the added taxes, limits of number of rounds you can purchase in a month or year, and the registration of ammunition purchased are just another source fueling the madness.

Sandy Hook, and the BS attempts after it are the DIRECT reason we can't find half the stuff that just used to sit on shelves, ready to be purchased.

Powder, for example.  Never had an issue finding powder.  Hell, even primers sometimes now.  I was calling Mike last night trying to see if he knew of any H110 or Lil Gun in the city, anywhere.  Nothing...

For half a year, you couldn't find .45 ACP, 9mm, .40, 12ga, 5.56 or .223 Rem, 308 Win...  Online was the only way to get it, and you paid out the a$s for it.  When you could find a vendor that actually had what they advertised as in stock, really in stock.

Sandy Hook is THE reason, buy that or not... 

Edited by 98Z5V

I keep my eye on slickguns and other websites.  You do take it in the shorts on shipping so you are forced to buy in bulk when the vendor permits, which due to all the hoarders, is rare.  Around here, ammo is trickling back on the shelf, but it is nothing like it was.

I am strongly supporting (money and time) candidates that are pro-2A for mid term elections in hopes that a conservative House and Senate will balance out the executive branch's aggressive stance.  I am afraid that if things stay like they are, the ammo situation we are experiencing will be the new norm for the foreseeable future.   

I travel all over the Eastern half of the US for a living (at least until the end of the year when I will become OFFICALLY RETIRED!) and stop in every out of the way gun shop I see.  I haven't had any real trouble finding anything I've needed (powder, primers, cases, bullets in many calibers, and .22 LR).  The big box stores don't have it but the little guys often have a couple of dozen boxes lying about.  I bought a couple of boxes of Remington .22LR last weekend at the local True Value Hardware store, he had a two box limit but had probably 50 boxes on the shelf at $2.99 per 50 round box.

I think one of the "side issue" reasons .22 is hard to find is the proliferation of .22LR "AR look-a-likes" and AR .22 caliber conversion kits.  The fact that it is easy to hide or carry a 1,000 rounds of .22 is also a selling point for survivalists and autoloading .22s (Ruger 10-22, Savage, Marlin, etc.) are going like hotcakes.  Just my humble opinion. ::)

I think one of the "side issue" reasons .22 is hard to find is the proliferation of .22LR "AR look-a-likes" and AR .22 caliber conversion kits.  The fact that it is easy to hide or carry a 1,000 rounds of .22 is also a selling point for survivalists and autoloading .22s (Ruger 10-22, Savage, Marlin, etc.) are going like hotcakes.  Just my humble opinion. ::)

I can't speak for the guys out west, but the .22 Ar and conversion kits are very popular here as well (just South of you).  And those guys run though a metric ton of ammo at the range.  

Sandy Hook was 556. Its not scarce. Cost maybe inflated but 22 is scare. I ain't buying that scenerio. Maybe its the most popular. There are lines at all the Big 5's every Tuesday to buy..22. Not 556 or 762. I do buy the hoarding reselling scenerio. But the state of Kali with all of its kommie gun laws would lend me to believe that there is a reason beyond Sandy Hook or Colorado theater. Even the gangsters in LA rarely use 22. I guess the common denominator is money. Even with inflated prices no one can keep 22 on the shelves. Not even Walmart.

Then how come 9mm, 40, 45, and most others dried up also????

(

^^^^^^^We may get to observe how that theory works in the Ukraine if things in Kiev continue to go to hell.  

And yes, the Survivalist will buy dang near anything.  A guy with the ammo trading theory bought a case of 35 Whelen, which he claimed he did not own, but would use it to barter.  Seriously?  I wouldn't give you a pack of instant grits for that whole case.

Edited by StainTrain

I got into some magnum airguns a while back. Not the red rider type but scuba tank powered and nitro piston springers

that will take a small hog down. Even had a Dragon slayer 50 cal and a 9mm HPA powered pellet rifles. There is no shortage of 177-22-25 caliber pellets. There are even some semi auto and full auto models out there. Many have some sort of fixed can on them to quiet them down. They are priced from reasonable to out of sight I coulda bought a real gun for that. Just another option to keep in practice, maybe in your backyard if allowed or basement.

post-13437-0-82711200-1392953007_thumb.j

Edited by bluzjamer