• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Carrying Empty Chamber

Ssooo…a bedroom vault!  You, sir, are The MAN!

Now you have to fill it properly.

LOL... nothing like sleeping in your own gun vault. 

It's currently filled with some firearms, and TOYS that we confiscated from the kids for some reason or other (including 8 NERF GUNS!!!)..  :banana:

That's why the bedroom's always locked up tight!

Edited by shibiwan

Compressing springs does not wear them out, cycling springs, compressing and relieving them is what wears them out.

^^^ That right there is the truth.

We don't worry about the valve springs in our vehicles do we?  I mean, nobody gets up in the middle of the night and bumps the engine over, just because some of the springs are fully compressed, with valves open...

• 7 months later...

My 1911 is cocked and locked and when it is its on my person or my night stand. And so is any other pistol I have. I don't keep anything loaded around the house except what's on me and a shotgun and rifle.

I live in a rural area and last year in September there were two rapes near my house, one was less than two miles away as the crow flies. She tried to fight back and beaten severely because of it. She is divorced with a six year old son at the time.

My wife decided that she needed a side arm that was for her. We found one for her and she has a CCW, carries daily and practices with me.

I have always carried because of my background. I always carry around the house because of burglary/home invasion you don't want to be scrambling for the hidden/stored firearm. Seconds count.  

LtCol. Grossman related the story of the sheepdog, the sheep and the wolves. I would add that there is another-the Wolfhound, bred to hunt and run the wolf down and take him at his own game.   

Once your a Sheepdog or Wolfhound old habits die hard. Seconds count when the wolf comes.

I live out in the woods and have a gun/rifle for every need. I also have grandkids, and their parents have encouraged the kid's interest in firearms, but done nothing for respect. These kiddos are always going through my stuff for what looks like fun, and they play with it, it doesn't matter who it belongs to, and if it might go Bang! makes it of course a better toy. Kids are 6 and 8.

So everything I have is condition 4? In other words, the kids can grab a gun, but finding the ammo for it is above your security clearance. Chambering a round is above top security clearance -- but still, I can spend time behind bars if kids get access to loaded weapons here -- chambered or not.

I have a sister in law who has an incurable case of rabies and liberalism -- do I repeat myself -- and she totally has it in for me. She would be glad to see me locked up over guns. She already tried to lock me up once, over guns, thankfully it didn't work, but for sure she'll try again. After all, she comes to our house for family events like Easter and Thanksgiving, etc. and can see what guns I have for "armed insurrection" or whatever she wants to make up for the cops when she calls them the next time.

So I keep only one sidearm in a hidden place that's loaded, nothing in the chamber, easy for me to get to, nobody else would think to go there.

Kids naturally like guns anyway. Raising them with guns -- well, the best way wouldn't start with hard words or a spanking over grabbing something loaded without first checking it, or even, just grabbing someone else's gun. That's just plain wrong and massively impolite.

For now, the kids understand how guns work, and they've found out that the guns I have are way too effing heavy to carry around to be any sort of fun.

They could hold, handle and fire my go-to piece no problem. So it is conveniently hidden. If they find and fire it, well, my guess is, I can't reach http://forum.308ar.com

from prison to tell my tale and it would be too late anyhow.

They're not my kids. If they were, they'd be shooters and have some respect. But for now, guns are fun and mostly for solving problems with space aliens.

Put all that together, and you get one picture: I am compromising the security of my house, my wife, and my grandchildren, because of what the law says about kids' access to loaded guns. Out of the collection, I have only one limited-access sidearm in case things go south.

If I suggested firearm training for the kids, I could arrange that, because by son in law (the second one now) is pro-gun. Then maybe I could judge the value of keeping guns loaded.

But my effing sister in law, if she encountered loaded guns, would have the County Sheriff and the NAAPC (her kids are black) and probably everything and everyone after me. She's my wife's sister, though, so that is not a fixable problem.

A partial solution would be to merely carry that one pistol in a holster, at all times, in the house, especially during Easter and Christmas. Crawling up and down over presents and giant roast turkeys means I will of course 'print' and enflame the Evil Sister and so forth.

But being pissed is her default attitude so maybe carrying at home during the holidays, with everythine else unloaded, is the safest all aroud.

I hate that for you.

I had a situation like that once. Needless to say I left that family.

The one I have now is very gun friendly.

Concealed carry, my Officers 1911 is cocked and locked and safety on with a DeSantis holster whose leather strap with snap tab

Is closed with the strap between the hammer and the firing pin just for a little extra insurance. If carrying my My Sig it is in a fobus pancake holster with shell in the chamber and seated deeply enough that the holster properly covers the trigger.

Edited by Sisco