• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello from Oregon

AR-Sniper

just wanted to say hello. i have been watching this forum for about 2 months now or close. and like what i see. lots of decisions i made was based off of members recommendations to others. finally decided to post up.

I LOVE all guns. and respect any one that believe in the 2nd amendment.

I have not owned my rifle long and just started building my first one a few weeks ago. i was going to build a bolt action rifle first but with a change of heart, i decided a AR platform should go first then build my dream bolt action gun later.

im building her for Long range precision. my goal is to hit 3 pop cans at 1000 yards with only 6 round. i dont think thats asking much? lol

i will practice as much as it takes to do this. its my fun gun. long range and coyote killer. i would hunt with it but im a Archer by heart. and i go for archery hunts over rifle any day. i like the challenge of stocking deer/elk to get with in 50 yards  well back on subject 

this is what i got so far.

DPMS LR-308

ON the GUN

trigger: Geissele SSA-E

Barrel: stock dpms 16" barrel

Hand guard: Troy alpha free float 12"

Stock: magpul PRS

Grip: Ergo with shelf

fore grip: magpul AFG2

Bipod: B&T atlas

bcm charging handle

Scope: Osprey (temporary solution)

Muzzle: YHM flash hider

im sure im forgetting more things.

things left to get

-18" custom heavy barrel from John Benjamin

(it is a highly recommended barrel from lots of guys in the northwest.)

the guy is from southern OR

-a good scope

-muzzle brake

and maybe more things as time goes by. as of now im happy

here are some latest pictures i took a few days ago.

post-14648-0-22215500-1395096109_thumb.j

post-14648-0-22972500-1395096116_thumb.j

post-14648-0-56421000-1395096122_thumb.j

Edited by AR-Sniper

Welcome. I read your plans with interest. My only thought is if a true thousand yard rifle is what you are looking for, that distance between 700 and 1,000 yards is one place that a longer barrel may help, if only to extend the distance that your bullet is transonic. At shorter ranges, up to 600 yards, there are some good arguements that the 16 or the planned 18 inch might be better, because of fewer possible harmonics in the shorter barrel. There are some real experts on this forum who know a lot more about these trade offs in barrels than I do. Hopefully they will give their opinions. A lot of it will depend on the bullet/powder/primer combination you decide on to make that 1000 yard shot. From the sounds of it, you are putting together a weapon that will give you a good chance to do it. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

thanks guys.

Sisco, ill keep you guys posted as i try things out. i only got to shoot my gun as it sits once so far. put 130 rounds through it over last weekend. noticed some things i might want to look in to. muzzle rise and some recoil. the heavy buffer that is on its way, should help. ill try it then and ill make a new topic with some of my newbie experience 

Edited by AR-Sniper

Make sure that 18" barrel you have made is a 1:10" twist rate, and only shoot 175 grain projectiles - good ones - to try to make that 1,000-yard goal on those cans.  That's one hell of a goal.

A target 10.47" wide, sitting at 1,000 yards, is 1 MOA.  You'll be aiming at targets that are about 1/4 MOA wide.  Talk to your barrel maker about this goal - listen to him, too, if he tries to steer you into a longer length. 

It can be done, so go get it, man!  Welcome aboard!

Welcome AR-sniper

listen to this guy he knows what he's talking about.

Make sure that 18" barrel you have made is a 1:10" twist rate, and only shoot 175 grain projectiles - good ones - to try to make that 1,000-yard goal on those cans.  That's one hell of a goal.

A target 10.47" wide, sitting at 1,000 yards, is 1 MOA.  You'll be aiming at targets that are about 1/4 MOA wide.  Talk to your barrel maker about this goal - listen to him, too, if he tries to steer you into a longer length. 

It can be done, so go get it, man!  Welcome aboard!

Don't let his avatar scare you

I would think a longer barrel would give you a lil more velocity on that round, and @1000yds a little extra sure wouldn't hurt.  Keep us updated on your progress.

so some of you are interested in my progress on this build. i skimmed through the forum and just wanted to know what category should i post up a build thread under? one i will go back in to time after time to add new things i got and my experiences as a new shooter??

Welcome from Idaho...... sounds like a dynamite shoot build one of my favorite competitions but I use a &mm STW for that Hmmmmm would need a huge lower for that ... good luck and have fun with it I too agree a bit more barrel will pay huge dividends