• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The Newfangled 'Safe' Firearm

...and the newfangled 'safe' pistol is brought to us by an award-winning gun designer with many patents to his credit. Lots of 'his' guns are out there, but not guns like these. Not yet, at least.

We should bear in mind that new technology that "improves safety" very quickly becomes mandatory. Look at what they've done with automobile tech. And it's worth pointing out, this is the Washington Post. Required reading for everyone in the Federal government, including lawmakers. Read on:

A personalized gun for safety - Washington Post - May 19, 2014

http://tbtpics.tampabay.com/opinion/columns/column-a-personalized-gun-for-safety/2180482

[excerpted, follow link for full article]

The reality is that firearm safety has not meaningfully advanced in the past century. Nearly every other industry has transformed its safety features in that same period.

The iP1 Personalized can be synced with our Intelligent Watch, which is worn on the wrist. The authorized user inputs a five-digit personal code into the watch that activates the firearm. Without that code, the gun cannot be fired.

The firearm also detects the proximity of the watch, meaning that even if the gun is stolen after the code has been keyed in, it cannot be fired.

Because this technology provides a positive and safer experience, I believe the number of gun enthusiasts will rise. Families will be able to protect themselves from criminals while guaranteeing that a child cannot fire the gun.

Hang on there just a moment Mr. Bad Guy while I type in the 5-digit code that permits me to defend myself from vermin like you. Let me show you just how outdated your 1911 technology really is....

*followed by the sound of a gunshot and your dead body hitting the ground*

Hang on there just a moment Mr. Bad Guy while I type in the 5-digit code that permits me to defend myself from vermin like you. Let me show you just how outdated your 1911 technology really is....

*followed by the sound of a gunshot and your dead body hitting the ground*

Hm. From the author of the article and inventor of the technology: "Because this technology provides a positive and safer experience, I believe the number of gun enthusiasts will rise."

So, the point is, you can sell more guns, because people who are afraid of guns will like these guns, and the point is actually not that these guns are better to have, but just that more people will buy them.

Nausea. Egads. Is there anything worse than this? Boosting firearm sales by selling defective firearms to gun-grabbers?

I read another article where, when displayed to potential law enforcement customers, the designers couldn't grasp the idea of WHY a person would need to shoot with their off-hand, which is far enough away from the bracelet to disable it.

Lots of cars these days have 'remotes' on the keychain, that allow you to lock and unlock the doors while standing outside the vehicle.

Have you ever had a battery go dead on the keychain for your car? Well, that can happen with pistols like this, too.

When you really, really need a reliable pistol, do you want to worry about the batteries in your watch and weapon? No, I didn't think so.

Funny thing about pistols. When you really, really need a reliable pistol, and don't have one, you probably will never need a pistol ever again.

I'm eager to see it get hacked.... Nothing like having a tech savvy mastermind around to enable and disable specific firearms at will, seems like a great idea to try and market this device.  <nutkick>

Gotta wonder if a hacker could make the weapon fire randomly without the user pulling the trigger.

I read another article where, when displayed to potential law enforcement customers, the designers couldn't grasp the idea of WHY a person would need to shoot with their off-hand, which is far enough away from the bracelet to disable it.

That's the Steve Jobs setup on that one. For those of you who would like to have the ability to shoot with your off hand...you'll just need to purchase a second bracelet.

^^^   That's the whole reason I hate hydraulic buffers.  They have no purpose, but to fail on you, eventually, as every hydraulic cylinder will fail on you eventually.  They will fail RIGHT at the time you need them to work. because that's Murphy's Law.  You can't beat Murphy's Law.

Weighted buffers and real chrome silicon springs will work just fine.  And, they're not complicated.  <thumbsup>

For those interested, there are several threads on the calguns forum that detail the marketing fiasco that is related to 

this disaster - the story gets really deep and is connected to one of my local range/gun shops!

Here you go,

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=880219

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=896247

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=905165

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=897096

Then there's this can of worms that they've opened:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=13480691&postcount=17

Edited by guruofhotrod