• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Odd barrel end

I am pretty new to AR style rifles and as such have never taken off the flash hider of one, until now.  VERY newbie in this area.

I took the flash hider off my DPMS LR308 tonight to put on a small 5/8 -24 locking nut.  I noticed a bit of strange coating/surface at the end of the barrel.  I have always been very careful of muzzles and have been careful from following others to protect the crown.  I'll post pictures I took this evening, with flash and without.  The one with flash you can actually see down in and see the rifling.  The one without flash shows more or less what the end of the barrel looks like when you view it.  Feels rough on the end, and I don't use any corrosives on it, just Hoppe's solvent and then Kroil at times.  It was used when I got it from Cabela's, just didn't look used when I got it.. very pristine.

Is it some kind of Nitride process such as MELONITE®  or a Cerakote coating?   I am really not that familiar with either. 

post-15036-0-22532500-1409712667_thumb.j

The end using the camera flash.

post-15036-0-89367700-1409712674_thumb.j

Edited by Gibbs

It's not Cerakote.  And it's not Melonite.

It's Carbon.

This post of yours is unbelievable.  WIth your vast shooting experience, you should have known that.  Kinda falls inline with the "troll" theory here.

Edited by 98Z5V

It's not Cerakote.  And it's not Melonite.

Melonite?  <laughs>  <lmao>

Cerakote?  <lmao>  <laughs>

rofl_o_910314.gif

Dude, Gibbs. Thanks for the laughs.

P.S. almost peed myself.

P.P.S. Tom, you got trolled!

For Tom getting trolled: rofl-seizure-o.gif

Edited by shibiwan

Didn't get trolled, brother - just getting tired of this guy's bull$hit...  Wish he'd keep his word, and his last post was really 3 posts ago, like he said.  He made that on #61, but he's still here...

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

And with that this is my last post.

Didn't get trolled, brother - just getting tired of this guy's bull$hit...  Wish he'd keep his word, and his last post was really 3 posts ago, like he said.  He made that on #61, but he's still here...

Hehe... just yanking your chain, Tom. :D

Edited by shibiwan

I know.  I get it, brother.  This guy is just under my skin like that thing under your thumbnail... 

WAIT!  WHAAAAAAT?!!?  :eek: <laughs>

That's an ALIEN growing under there, you know that, right?...  I'm not going to the range with you again until that thing comes out. 

If it gets out when I'm around, I'm gonna blast it.  I'm just sayin'...   :hunter:

Edited by 98Z5V

I would use a crush washer for a better seal. I don't know but guessing we would all find some carbon build up there. Lots of pressure pushing it out every where possible

There's always caked up carbon at the muzzle end under the flash suppressor after shooting a good amount (i.e. more than a few rounds). The military has drilled it into my head to clean that area after every shoot. 

If you're worried about damaging the crown and affecting acuracy, be aware that the carbon buildup also does the same thing. Scrape it off with a knife and clean it up with a brass bristled brush.

Edited by shibiwan

Thanks for the info.  Until a few years ago I never owned or shot any AR style rifle, so something with a flash hider on it is new to me.  Never thought much about removing a flash hider.  Since I bought it used I am not sure how many or of what ammo was shot through it. Never thought about what otherwise might be next to the crown after taking off the flash hider and I'm not up on those other 2 coatings, how they are applied, etc.

WARNING: You WILL be offended by this post.

If this was meant as a sarcastic joke, you missed the fuckin target by an embarrassing margin. If this was a joke, it's shiit like this that pisses me off as it detracts from legitimate content. Failures to articulate sarcasm confuse everyone and turn a thread to diarrhea in a millisecond. The guys that successfully fukc around here, have long established their sense of humor and displayed their skilled ability to communicate such humor.

If this was NOT a joke... you should've prefaced your introduction with, "I've never disassembled an AR rifle" or "I have very miniscule and limited experience with AR rifles." While you never claimed to be a guru of AR knowledge, you surely touted your experience as an avid enthusiast. I kept my mouth shut throughout... until now. Asking if it's melonite or ceracoat furthers substantiates your lack of knowledge in this topic. Melonite is no more a coat as stainless... it's a metal "treatment"... why would anyone on God's green earth ceracoat just the crown of a barrel?? Those were really the two best educated conclusions you could come up with? I'm baffled that the concept of carbon build up didn't even make it to consideration, despite the knowledge that the rifle was used...

I get pissed at the sense of entitled respect America's youth demands... I forget that there's a generation of enablers that birthed that concept, and nurtured the behavior to its current state.

Robocop, it was not meant as a joke.  I took off the flash hider on the LR308 last night for the first time and have never seen something like that on the end.  I know now that this is a coating of carbon but I thought maybe at the time that the barrel was made for DPMS that the end sort of got buggerd up and as such, any treatment, into the metal, would have also followed the shape and controur of a barrel end that somehow made it to that point.  If it was smooth to begin with, then any treatment or coating would have been equally as smooth, but if the bare metal was somehow deforemed, even electroplating would have left it in the same shape, just chromed.    In recap, I have never dissasembled the end of an AR as I, like I said before, am fairly newbie to ARs and never thought that the flash hider was something to come off after it was put on with the crush washer.   It did have a crush washer.  

Gibbs, I like how you went back and edited your first post - so others that read this in the future won't think you're an idiot.

Too late, man.

GibbsCarbon_zpsff307b6a.jpg

I just find this very hard to believe - even being new to the AR platform - based on the target pics you post.  You HAVE to know what you're doing in order to pull the groups that you post pictures of.

Now, on that note, I don't think you pull the groups you say you do.  Post a vid of you shooting that $hit, walk to the target, and zoom your a$s in on it.

I think you're a complete fraud.  Calling you on that right now.  Let's see what you do.  Maybe you'll disappear, like you said you would earlier. 

Show me your groups that you claim, and show the real distance that they're shot at - vid doesn't lie.

"Guess I should post a pic..... this is Wiley Coyote that was in the back yard, 335 yards. Shot with the 6.8 SPCII 16" AR Performance rifle with the 1:11.25 twist 5R barrel. All home built. (it's a piston gun too)."

So you jump on the forum claiming to have BUILT a 6.8 Performance AR rifle (piston gun too) and now you are claiming to be new to AR's ????

Edited by .308LiteHunter

"Guess I should post a pic..... this is Wiley Coyote that was in the back yard, 335 yards. Shot with the 6.8 SPCII 16" AR Performance rifle with the 1:11.25 twist 5R barrel. All home built. (it's a piston gun too)."

So you jump on the forum claiming to have BUILT a 6.8 Performance AR rifle (piston gun too) and now you are claiming to be new to AR's ????

Oh, SNAP!!!  I forgot about that!!!  He's killing coyotes at 335 yards in the back yard!!!

Now, if he's doing that, then how the hell did all his chickens get hit by a coyote?  This is off his own webpage!!!  <lmao>

http://scottieluvr.com/galeria_de_jenewein/MyHouse/slides/House_092010_05M.html

In case that pic disappears from his webpage...  I have the fullsize version saved.

post-7-0-44297600-1409799973_thumb.jpg

Building them is not hard at all, even the piston thing is a relative piece of cake.  I think anyone that is not been shooting several years as a steady diet with an AR and tinkering with them, would be considered new.  It was new to me about the crud under the flash hider.  Since I put the flash hider on the 6.8 SPC I built I've never taken it off.  Shot it, cleaned it, but never messed with the muzzle.  I don't even have one of those little star things that one uses to clean the area where the lugs lock up.  Yes, I've built it, shot it and reload for it, but obviously don't quite understand the rifle to it's fullest, or else why would I ask about carbon crud, or barrel harmonics?  I've shot a lot of rifles and reloaded off and on for many years. All my rifles had blued barrels, no muzzle device and just followed friend suggestions and what was written in the book in the reloading manual for reloading.  Shooting is not that hard, I try not to flinch and concentrate only on the target I see in the scope.  Eyes are not as good as they used to be for iron sights. 

.308LIteHunter, if I were to send you the ingredient list for making a 5 gallon batch of wine and complete instructions you should be able to make a decent wine following those directions and ingredient list, right?  I'm sure it would turn out a pretty decent wine, but when you got done that would not mean you were a wine expert or enologist, even though you made a very good wine.  Knowing how to handle the wine in the process and why it does what it does, and how to understand a problem if one arose would be in the longer term experience and knowledge. 

I would think the same thing applies to the AR-15 and variants as well as the .308 AR rifles and all their variances and individuality.  I read quite a bit in magazines, read online, looks at forums and that does not make me an expert, just interested.  It shouldn't be a sin to be interested in this.  Killing a coyote from a rifle I built is no great feat, as I'm sure there are thousands out there that have killed coyotes, hogs, deer and other critters with rifles they have built, customized and so on.  I'm still learning.

I find it fascinating that you can shoot a rifle with a hole in the barrel that lets gas out of the barrel and either work a piston as in some rifles like AK style, or AR styles with certain set ups, or direct that high pressure gas to a different area of the rifle and make it work to not only turn the bolt, but to send the bolt and carrier quickly to the rear and eject the spent cartridge.  What I also find interesting is that even though you use (divert) some of the gas that the accuracy still holds as well as it does.  A single shot rifle, or bolt action has the advantage of holding and using all the available gas pressure to shoot the bullet, so there is less chance for variances in the set of shots that make up the group on a target.

Gibbs, you just talked alot of $hit, and completely avoided what I said.  Please address this:

Now, on that note, I don't think you pull the groups you say you do.  Post a vid of you shooting that $hit, walk to the target, and zoom your a$s in on it.

I think you're a complete fraud.  Calling you on that right now.  Let's see what you do.  Maybe you'll disappear, like you said you would earlier. 

Show me your groups that you claim, and show the real distance that they're shot at - vid doesn't lie.

Also, WTF happened to your chickens?  You can shoot a coyote at 335 yards, but a coyote wiped out your chicken coop?  If you were killing coyotes at 335 yards, how the hell did they work up the nerve to almost get in your house?

I think you're a fraud.  I think your target group pics are bull$hit.