• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Who is our resident home theatre guru?

DNP

I need to pick up a pair of projectors. I need one of marginal quality for some very basic and fairly low res Halloween imagery, and would like one decent projector for some slightly better Halloween stuff. Thinking mid $300-400 range for the decent one and would like to be under $200 on the marginal one. Nothing needs to be HD, but they recommend at least 1800 lumens on the better one.

Any one a home theatre know it all that can point me in a good direction? What to watch out for, how to get started up...stuff like that.

Here is a link to the stuff we will be playing with:

http://atmosfx.com/

Go to the fear fx. Cool stuff.

Thank Shibi. The benQ was on the radar by price...but I don't know squat about these things and was hoping something like that would do it.

Incidentally, the BenQ has one of the highest performance (lowest latency, fastest response) among projectors - they're great for gaming after you're done with them for halloween.

I feel some movies in the dunes coming up, me thinks! 

You know, that's what we have Dan for, brother...  <lmao>

How about Dune in the Dunes!

LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS!  <lmao>  <laughs>

I always thought the old CRTs were supposed to be the cat's ass because of the infinite black levels vs. the digital single guns. (Like one of those old Sony 9"-ers)

BTW, I have an Epson 8350 that is 2000 lumens and that thing is a light cannon - as in watch the game in broad daylight bright.   I'm thinking for the OPs application, anything over 800 lumens will be plenty

Edited by AdamO

Yeah, this is an NEC XG 110LC. Its gorgeous, but puts out maybe 900 lumens tops. Have had it in my dedicated movie room since 2005 :) all blacked out room to get a good picture. but its amazing for movies + video games. Can't quite get mine stable at 1080p, but looks spectacular at 1080i

Ordered the second and third link from Shibi. Should be here Friday and Monday width a few cables. Will mix and match home equipment to get everything out to the yard. Should be able to manage it all from in the house. Hope it ain't raining...30% chance right now :(

Ordered the second and third link from Shibi. Should be here Friday and Monday width a few cables. Will mix and match home equipment to get everything out to the yard. Should be able to manage it all from in the house. Hope it ain't raining...30% chance right now :(

DUDE if it rains it would be awesome. Get a plastic box and put the projector in it (hope it doesn't overheat), then cut a large hole for the lens and project it against the rain instead of the "invisible" mesh screen.

Other thing you probably could do is to get fan-spray misters (or ultrasonic foggers) to create a screen of water vapor and project it against the water vapor curtain.

Edited by shibiwan

I was thinking about the water vapor curtIn too, but I think I'm going to start small this year. We have a few boxes of decorations...but usually never set up until the night of. We would just throw some stuff in the yard, turn on the fogger and watch the kids be too scared to come to the door. This is the first time we have started early. There's a small investment being made this year and that should make next year even more fun.

I was looking at the little ones like that and decided a basic full size would work in more situations for me for not a whole lot extra. There's quite a few little pocket projectors out there now. If next year I decide to do two bigger effects and pass on the singing jack-o-lanterns that the small one is doing this year....I'll be set.

I'm glad you showed up though. I've been working on my next call in photoshop. I'll save that for later. I'm going to need your technical assistance out here. I will even get some MGD for the house. But it stays outside in a cooler. It's getting nowhere near my refrigerator and I don't want that shits on my floors.....