• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Scope Recommendations for Scope Newb

All my rifle builds (AR15's) in the past were built using non magnified red dots.  I got tons of experience with Red Dots but little to no experience with rifle scopes.  Gun clubs in my area range from 100 yards to 300 yards.  Basically what I'm trying to say is I'm not going to be shooting anything over 300 yards.  Was hoping you guys could help me narrow down my choices for a scope:

1) Fixed or Variable?  I'm leaning towards variable because there are a bunch of ranges around me with varying distance.  Like the idea of dialing up/down the magnification for when I need it

2) Magnification power?  100 yards is the most common distance around me.  There's one that's 200 and another with a 300 yard range.  Taking and educated guess, I'm thinking 10X and below would be appropriate for me.

3) Best bang for your buck scope?  I'm not looking to spend $1000 on a scope but at the same time I don't want a cheap $100 rifle scope that is a piece of crap. 

I've been eyeing the Vortex Optics Viper PST 2.5-10x44mm EBR-1 MOA scope.  Basically a $600 scope.  Probably could get it a little cheaper using some online codes.  Was curious to know if there are other scopes I should check out that are in the $300-400ish price range of similar quality/specs as the Vortex? 

• 1 month later...

Nikon has a special right now (until December 31st) on the M-223, but only in the 3~12x42 BDC-600 scope.  It's $160 off, taken off right there at point-of-sale.  No receipt to send in, no time waiting for a coupon of check from the company - it's an instant rebate, right there at the register.

Typically a $450 MSRP scope, that puts it in your hands under $300.  It's one hell of a deal.

If it's going on another caliber, you can have Nikon make a custom turret for it for your caliber, projo weight and speed. 

This scope is a no-brainer if you're looking for good, clear glass in a quality scope.  Price can't be beat.  I found one last week marked down to $258.  Grabbed it.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Nikon-Products/Riflescopes/M-223-3-12x42SF-BDC-600---------.html

Got the scope will have pics soon.Thinkin of going with the RRA 1 pc.mount.It's only a 1" tube but a damn nice scope.Came with a ARD [anti-reflection device] and flip up caps.Thanks for the tip brother Tom. <thumbsup> And it's the 3rd one  I put together,be'in I fill in the stripped lower and slap on an upper that I like.I'm an assembler others here are builders. :))