• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PT

Sisco

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Don't blow yourself out, brother - most of what we do is static, right from camp, no crazy shiit involved at all.  We've made quite the range, right from camp, that does pretty much everything.  There are movement drills incorporated into some of it, but that's not the bulk of the activities.

Don't sweat being Hulk-ish, in order to come out and have a damn great time. 

If we run High-Angle...   THAT is a fucking HIKE.  UPHILL. The climb up there straight sucks - but the downhill, and coming back down sucks worse.  I'd rather climb something than come down something. 

That's entirely optional, and doesn't need to be done.  All the information will be presented, easy to understand, and hands-on helps it sink into your brain - but it's not necessary to climb that bigass rock and do it.  You'll still gain the understanding and function behind the class on it, and be able to apply it later.

Just standing on uneven ground and walking around the area was excersie for me. I will eventually take that stroll up the hill.😁 Just gotta want it

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, BrianK said:

Thanks.

The biggest difference between rowing when I was a child and now is the moving seat as found in racing hulls. As a child it was just a rowboat and the seat was stationary. Now I can add leg muscles to the stroke. Thanks for the thought to help me get it right. 

This is not a complaint, I like having no one competing for time on the rowing machines, but I wonder why more folks don't use them? "My" gym has 6 of them and I've only ever seen one other person using one. Again, not a complaint, just curious. 

The other part of my rehab is the treadmill that is Rxed for me (1.8mph @ 15% grade at this time) and there are times when I wonder if I can find one to use and they must have at least 20+. They're very popular when right outside is a place where the scenery sorta changes. After I max out my Rxed treadmill rehab I plan to walk out there when it's not hot or icy cause the real world is more difficult than the treadmill for some reason I can't fathom. Maybe the moving belt vs non moving pavement? IDK

I'm on 18th gym visit and now I can feel an improvement in my strength. Went for an hour walk with the wife, ground goes up and down. Uphill walk to the house and I was a little tired different muscles used. It had been almost 5 weeks since I rowed I thought with the gym I could bull through it and make time. I was lucky to come 30 seconds past my time. Different muscles used. Exercising has turned into a personal sense of accomplishment for me. I'm still about #75 overweight, 68, was over a pack a day smoker for too long. No including all the $hit in the air from 40 yrs in industry. Including living within the area of 5 large steel mills. 

Try having wife or girlfriend but not 🚫 both. Take a video of you rowing that will help with form. Drink a lot of water and don't forget to breathe. Your doing great brother 🍻🍻

IMG_20230216_102449160.jpg

Heck, you're doing great too. 👍 

I know I've come a long way since I started my therapy 3+ years ago. Back then I had a hard time walking in my dooryard w/o calf pain that would bring me to a halt. Just today I got my app't for another vascular study to find out just how much I've done. I was getting 33% blood flow in my right leg and slightly more in my left. I know it's not 100% but it IS better today. 

I don't think they allow cameras in the gym. Maybe I can get one of the folks behind the desk to do it for me so that they know I'm not intending the biden routine. Whoops, sorry, no prepubescent  girls so it can't be bidens routine.

30 minutes ago, BrianK said:

Heck, you're doing great too. 👍 

I know I've come a long way since I started my therapy 3+ years ago. Back then I had a hard time walking in my dooryard w/o calf pain that would bring me to a halt. Just today I got my app't for another vascular study to find out just how much I've done. I was getting 33% blood flow in my right leg and slightly more in my left. I know it's not 100% but it IS better today. 

I don't think they allow cameras in the gym. Maybe I can get one of the folks behind the desk to do it for me so that they know I'm not intending the biden routine. Whoops, sorry, no prepubescent  girls so it can't be bidens routine.

Sure they do brother fukin kids that all they do.

19 minutes ago, NightStalker said:

It amazes me how much effort is needed  working out to lose a pound after 50 you.  
I do 9-13000 steps a day everyday on average, plus elliptical when I can cut down meal portions and watch what I eat and still struggle with weight loss. 
I need a good 40 pounds to be where I want, so not to bad but what a challenge 

Hardest part is getting started brother.

I lost 50# but I did it by not eating carbs, or very few carbs. I counted them to make sure. I didn't do it overnight nor did I intend to. Fast weight loss means it's unsustainable in most cases. I had many reasons for entering ketosis and my Dr. fessed up the last time I saw him and told me that he agreed with all the reasons I gave. He continues to tell me to kepp doing what I'm doing. Easy to do 'cause I never felt better.

17 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Don't blow yourself out, brother - most of what we do is static, right from camp, no crazy shiit involved at all.  We've made quite the range, right from camp, that does pretty much everything.  There are movement drills incorporated into some of it, but that's not the bulk of the activities.

Don't sweat being Hulk-ish, in order to come out and have a damn great time. 

If we run High-Angle...   THAT is a fucking HIKE.  UPHILL. The climb up there straight sucks - but the downhill, and coming back down sucks worse.  I'd rather climb something than come down something. 

That's entirely optional, and doesn't need to be done.  All the information will be presented, easy to understand, and hands-on helps it sink into your brain - but it's not necessary to climb that bigass rock and do it.  You'll still gain the understanding and function behind the class on it, and be able to apply it later.

:thumbup: See where I am in October.

Machines and cable machine and easier to use to start with over free weights. On my 19th visit now I see improvement almost maxed out abdominal machine #140, leg press #130, increased reps and sets. I'm amazed at how I am able to get stronger at my age. Breath deep and drink a lot of water. I'm more sore after doing yardwork than I am from the gym. Any movement is good. 

Finally starting to feel good about the level of my work outs. When I lay off a while it is always frustrating having to work back to what I was doing before. Instead of adding a lot of weight on weight resistance exercises, this time I am increasing reps, 4 x 10 now, working towards 4 x 15  with moderate weight,  and finding new exercises to replace ones I can’t do anymore because of old injuries and surgeries. Kettlebells have been a big help for core strengthening exercises, since I can’t bend my back to do sit ups anymore. Also discovered my old favorite, the stair master.  Need to work back up to 1,000 steps at a time. Gonna take a while, but that is okay.

23 hours ago, Sisco said:

Finally starting to feel good about the level of my work outs. When I lay off a while it is always frustrating having to work back to what I was doing before. Instead of adding a lot of weight on weight resistance exercises, this time I am increasing reps, 4 x 10 now, working towards 4 x 15  with moderate weight,  and finding new exercises to replace ones I can’t do anymore because of old injuries and surgeries. Kettlebells have been a big help for core strengthening exercises, since I can’t bend my back to do sit ups anymore. Also discovered my old favorite, the stair master.  Need to work back up to 1,000 steps at a time. Gonna take a while, but that is okay.

That's great brother 🍻

So here's where my decrepit ass is, after 20 visits. Almost 7 weeks 3 days Monday, Wednesday, Friday. 13 machines @ 30 reps either 3/10s or 2/15s. Cable system I've developed 10 exercises including cable flys low,med,high. Approx 660 reps every station goes to failure. Sled push/ pull 6 times back/forth. In about 2 1/2 hrs. I'm stronger now than when I started my apprenticeship almost 36 years ago. If I can do it anyone can. 

I use Tom's mantra " Can't quit won't quit"

4 hours ago, unforgiven said:

So here's where my decrepit ass is, after 20 visits. Almost 7 weeks 3 days Monday, Wednesday, Friday. 13 machines @ 30 reps either 3/10s or 2/15s. Cable system I've developed 10 exercises including cable flys low,med,high. Approx 660 reps every station goes to failure. Sled push/ pull 6 times back/forth. In about 2 1/2 hrs. I'm stronger now than when I started my apprenticeship almost 36 years ago. If I can do it anyone can. 

Perfect. Keep rolling brother. 

12 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Sure go ahead and make the rest of us look lazy... :thumbup: :hail:

9 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Sure go ahead and make the rest of us look lazy... :thumbup: :hail:

Leaving soon before the snow comes. Friday so I add a little more abuse since I have a couple of days to recover. I'm trying this for post recovery. 7oz. Water 1 scoop and 1 ice cube for agitation to curb late night snacking also.

IMG_20230220_123028103.jpg

IMG_20230220_123041110.jpg

IMG_20230220_123013484.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2023 at 7:28 AM, unforgiven said:

Leaving soon before the snow comes. Friday so I add a little more abuse since I have a couple of days to recover. I'm trying this for post recovery. 7oz. Water 1 scoop and 1 ice cube for agitation to curb late night snacking also.

IMG_20230220_123028103.jpg

IMG_20230220_123041110.jpg

IMG_20230220_123013484.jpg

Still working it Brother? Joined Snap fitness since I got back from Florida, so continuing to work on my conditioning.  Nothing earthshaking, simply depending on reps and consistency to put me in a better place. So far so good.

Man I was feeling really good. Legs and feet getting a good work out, so I felt so good I started walking around the house barefoot. Fukin plantar fasciitis came on strong affecting my left foot. So fukin painful. My primary doctor gave me a steroid pack. Got better but I have $hit to do got on a ladder for a few hours and was set back. Been icing, stretching, rubbing out the foot. Going to see the podiatrist this morning. Still hitting the gym 3 times a week. Upper body is getting stronger. Every visit is more reps, more sets and more weight. Starting to meet people and use workout tips for a more robust workout. I am actually bothered if I miss a day. Glad you are well. Left leg has been doing a lot of extra work because of the polio almost wearing the fukin thing out. Now with yardwork it's a double workout. O well glad to be alive. 🍻🍻🍻🍻

2 hours ago, unforgiven said:

I found out the hard way that increasing protein with the level 1 mix, aggravates plantar fasciitis so I had to hold off.

Any possibility it might also be gout? Next time at the Doc have your Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) checked just to be safe. Plantar Fasciitis is a PITA, had that years ago. Those steroid packs do help.

Got both, fortunately under control. 2 very painful afflictions. Fix for me is wearing Asolo 520 hiking boots, with Cadence insoles and gel heel cups. Old guy I worked with turned me onto these. Not cheap, probably 4 bills with the cups and insoles, but I have to be on my feet several hrs every day so happy feet are worth any price. Get a new pair every year just before hunting season and seem to last a year. On my 6th or 7th pair. Don't even remember which foot anymore. 

And a daily Alopurinol for the gout.  

image.thumb.png.6ceb6c4fc9be3b47dbfd6c8f4caf67c0.png

image.thumb.png.c434cfc0a9f02340c29f9ad74dbf6154.png

image.thumb.png.81593d39a805a1af6cf1dcc042420099.png