• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

JP's Silent Capture or Slash's Hvy Buffer and Spring?

Which one and why? 

Does one have an advantage over the other? 

Or, do you have another recommendation?

Initial thought was Slash's Hvy Buffer and Spring, then I came across JP's setup. 

Once my build is complete it will be primarily used for hunting (if that helps any). 

I am using a rifle length receiver extension. 

Thanks

I did do a search and not a whole lot came up.  I may have searched the wrong terms :unsure:

Which one and why?

Does one have an advantage over the other?

Or, do you have another recommendation?

Initial thought was Slash's Hvy Buffer and Spring, then I came across JP's setup.

Once my build is complete it will be primarily used for hunting (if that helps any).

I am using a rifle length receiver extension.

Thanks

I did do a search and not a whole lot came up. I may have searched the wrong terms :unsure:

most people that swap to a heavy buffer do it in a carbine because the 308 buffer is short and light. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it wouldn't surprise me if a factory rifle buffer weighs about the same as a slash heavy carbine buffer. I run rifle extension on my 308 and never saw any reason to "upgrade"

• 2 weeks later...

I like to keep things simple, for good reasons.  The simpler something is, the less chance it has to fail.  Standard buffer, heavy or not, and a standard gas block.  Less things to fail, and that can't be argued.

Don't complicate $hit with complicated $hit...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for my ignorance and a slight hijack all, is the SCS the JP Silent Capture Spring?

Also, what adjustable gas block would you use and why?

Yup, SCS is the silent capture spring.

I really like SLR Sentry adjustable gas blocks. It's light-weight, durable, only requires one tool, and there's plenty of anecdotal evidence out there now that shows that they don't lock up after lots of rounds dirty (suppressed). I have one on my AR pistol.

• 1 month later...

so with just the spring and adj block you reduce the recoil?

The spring just eliminates, or cuts down on, noise.  The adjustable gas block cuts the recoil.  You adjust the gas down to just what it takes to cycle the rifle.  Recoil isn't gonna get any lighter than that, right there.  More than that, and it doesn't cycle.

How about scs+ slash buffer × adjustable gas block = no recoil? Lolol

Yeah, it works just like all those gas savers you could buy from JC Whitney. I put all that stuff on my car and ended up having to stop every 100 miles or so to drain some gas from the tank so it wouldn't overflow! <lmao>