• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Homebuilt can, the build

392heminut

Okay, I did my form 1 a little over 3 weeks ago so if it doesn't get kicked back because I did something the BATF doesn't like (THAT never happens!) on the form, I should have a stamp in a couple of weeks. I ordered some 'solvent trap' parts from SD Tactical that came in today. First up is the 7.6" titanium tube, 1.5" O.D.

post-12453-0-30068000-1426038935_thumb.j

Next are the endcaps, the one on the right is the titanium adapter end to fit SD Tactical's muzzle break and the one on the left is the aluminum outer endcap which is undrilled at this point until I have my stamp in hand.

post-12453-0-64856600-1426039009_thumb.j

Baffles will be made out of freeze plugs but I won't get those until I have the stamp in hand. I also have to engrave the BATF required info on the tube too. I'll update this with more pics as the build progresses.

Edited by 392heminut

Mike, that's a pretty impressive kit there. Those baffles are known as 'K' baffles and the general consensus is that they work better for low pressure rounds such as pistol and .22 LR. Cone or 'M' baffles seem to work better for the high pressure of rifle rounds, at least according to those who claim to know more about this stuff than I do. The cone baffles I will be making with the freeze plugs are a variation of the M baffle. Hell, for all I know the people who are saying this stuff are cheap bastards like me and since the M baffles can be made with hand tools they think they are better! <dontknow>

Well, probably NOT a certain person who just sold their CNC in S. AZ. :eek13:

I know, I know... Robo already smacked me around for it!! <lmao>

But...I stopped doing the guitar business and its just taking up shop space. Its big! Has a 3' x 4' cutting area Its a great wood cutter and will do soft metals in a pinch, but I want something more compact and higher precision with servo drive vs steppers and an honest to God spindle vs using a router.

Edited by AdamO

• 2 weeks later...

392, I have been looking into this hard for the last year or so. NFA poop really intimidates me though as far as paperwork goes. 

Here are some links I hope can help you.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130461

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=81439

The one link isn't an sd tactical tube, but there is a lot of good info in tharrrr!!!

I wonder how the freeze plugs hold up over time

The one closest to the muzzle is the one that gets all the blast erosion. General consensus is that a muzzle break device alleviates a lot of it as the blast shield on the device takes most of it. Some guys building direct mount cans are using a valve spring retainer as the first baffle to act as a blast shield.

You can't legally replace any of the freeze plugs once the can is built, only someone with the proper FFL can do that. There are some guys who have put over 1K rounds through a can with freeze plug baffles and there is very little wear. You can always rotate the freeze plugs too.