• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

All you gentlemen that ride motorcycles

Cali_Ed

First and foremost I know the rule. There are two kinds of riders. Ones that have gone down and those that are gonna go down.

I've always wanted a bike, and I've always thought I'd start of on a 250. Everyone I know that rides say I'd be wasting my time with a 250. That I'd out grow it really fast And go with like a 600 or 650.

My experience extends to riding a 250 in a parking lot be show how to lean the bike and do figure 8s and taking turns by a buddy.

What are your thoughts on going for a 250 or 600?

If I decide to take the plunge I know I'll be buying used, and taking a motor cycle safety course.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ed, sign up for & take the MSF Beginner Rider Course. They supply the bikes & you will do quite a bit of low speed parking lot riding over a couple of days. The course is a GOOD course & will teach you how to turn & stop correctly, along with teaching you how to be aware & what to look for. Avoidance techniques too. It will cost you about 250 bucks but will also get you a 15% discount on your insurance. When you are ready to look for a bike, I would recommend 400-600 ccs to start with. Feel free to call me if you have questions. I build & race motorcycles & can help you out. I am near Disneyland & my # is 714--356-784 five.

Ray.

I rode from age 16-22 on the street. Finally the MC i was in said everyone had to have a M endorsement. Took MSF advanced course on my busa and aced it. In NV if you pass the advanced then dont have to take riding test at DMV. Dont be scared to ride. Its bout as good as it gets but just always be cautious. If you dont already,you will quickly learn its much of a chess game. Always watch several cars and their projected movements ahead. And as always. Its not if, but when youll go down. Please gear up.

Edited by bubbasks

ABATE and Harley have riding courses and they provide the bike which is small.Take the course any course.

Good advice. It is easier to learn to lean into corners on a 250, and that way you don't have to buy the 250, the school does. I went straight to a 900 cc from that and had no problem. Check around for your first purchase, thogh, and ask advice. You don't necessairily want to start out with a rip roaring handful until you have mastered the basics. And yes, everyone and thing is out to kill you.

Ed, sign up for & take the MSF Beginner Rider Course. They supply the bikes & you will do quite a bit of low speed parking lot riding over a couple of days. The course is a GOOD course & will teach you how to turn & stop correctly, along with teaching you how to be aware & what to look for. Avoidance techniques too. It will cost you about 250 bucks but will also get you a 15% discount on your insurance. When you are ready to look for a bike, I would recommend 400-600 ccs to start with. Feel free to call me if you have questions. I build & race motorcycles & can help you out. I am near Disneyland & my # is 714--356-784 five.

Ray.

Ditto to this, I took the msf coarse after riding 5 years it made me a better rider tenfold. 600rr is a bad bike but 600s these days have wicked power. I would suggest an mid 2000's f4i, zx6 or gsxr 600. Don't get a 250 you'll out grow it quick and have trouble selling it.

Most every MSF uses 250cc bikes to train people. More often than not, it's a Honda Rebel. A great starter bike. You will outgrow that bike upon graduation of the class.

A 500-600cc bike, 5-10 years old, can usually be bought for $1k to $2.5k... Get one. Ride the piss out of it. Learn what you want out of a bike and your gear.

For a "forever bike", don't settle for anything less than 1200cc. For me, I prefer saddlebags (I hate having to wear a backpack). After the small bike gets old, you'll know if you want a windshield, full or half helmet, bags or no bags... there's a metric shit ton of options.

Don't buy the 250

I wasn't sure what you intended to ride on. street only. Duel does bolth dirt and street with the proper tires of course and gives you Opertunity to go off road. It's a dirt bike more or less? But the price can be decent for a used bike and plenty of tourqe to have fun.

I learned on a dirt bike when I was young , dirt is very forgiving & no cage's trying to run you over , just have to watch out for tree's . The courses are OK for the very beginners.

My first street bike was a Triumph Daytona 500 & its plenty for a beginner , so 500-600 CC is a decent choice . I don't ride with a Helmet most of the time , but I from the old school where I believe they can do as much harm as good . It is good to wear one & I have have been doing so more often now a days .

Once you see if you have the bug to keep riding , go up to something more or less more comfortable. I say that because a bagger is for more comfortable then the crotch rockets & I don't care what they say . 

I have been riding on the street for over forty three years & have bounced off my share of Cage's , not to mention all the road rash . My current go to bike is a 2003 Ultra Classic , Cruse control , Stereo , the works , its my Cadillac .

Most every MSF uses 250cc bikes to train people. More often than not, it's a Honda Rebel. A great starter bike. You will outgrow that bike upon graduation of the class.

A 500-600cc bike, 5-10 years old, can usually be bought for $1k to $2.5k... Get one. Ride the piss out of it. Learn what you want out of a bike and your gear.

For a "forever bike", don't settle for anything less than 1200cc. For me, I prefer saddlebags (I hate having to wear a backpack). After the small bike gets old, you'll know if you want a windshield, full or half helmet, bags or no bags... there's a metric poop ton of options.

Don't buy the 250

My msf had three drz 125? 250's? I was to tall for the 250 night Hawks so they let me ride the drz that thing was so fun on the course, I wanted to rip some wheelies on it in the worst way.

I agree about the older 600 cheap and not as much power as the last 5-8 years or 600.

Not so much on the 1200 lol

Ed, hit the MSF Basic Rider's Course and ride the Rebel 250s they have.  You'll very quickly realize that you don't want to own one of those, as yours.  Some courses have other bikes, too.  Local ones here have the Rebels, Kawi Vulcan 125s (the BN125), and Kawi KLX250 dirt/street bikes.  When you get to the course, get there early, and pretty much ask if you can use a specific bike - they'll let you.

After that, buy a used bike for your first bike.  After riding BRC, you'll kind of get an idea of what you might like, and definitely what you don't like.  Hit that course first, then try to narrow down what type of bike you want to buy.

If you buy used, there are many advantages - cheaper insurance for a new rider, no break-in period, ride it without as much worries. 

You also have disadvantages - you don't really know what you're buying, besides what the seller is telling you.  It might need work, ir might fall apart, and you have no factory warranty period.

If you buy used, there are advantages - most manufacturers have a 12-month factory warranty that covers pretty much anything.  Keep in mind, if it's something the rider could have caused, or could have prevented, then it's not covered.  Tires, brakes, clutch - not covered. Pretty much everything else is covered. 

There are new bike disadvantages, too - higher initial purchase price, higher insurance rates for new riders, and when you scratch that thing, you're gonna be pissed.  New parts cost a hell of alot of money, with body panels and gas tanks that will shock you on prices!  When that new bike gets dinged up, and you make an insurance claim on it, it'll cost alot to fix, and you're making a claim as a new rider...

I'd suggest buying used for the first one, get a few years of skills under you, then buy something new down the road.

Things to think about... 

Edited by 98Z5V