• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

All you gentlemen that ride motorcycles

Cali_Ed

It's certainly "total control," alright.  Sounds like a contract to someone in order to make money - just like the way alot of things go in California...  Just my observation.

They're calling it an "advanced" course.  I'd like to see how it stacks up against MSF BRC, followed by MSF ARC - the MSF Advanced Rider Course...

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/oped/total-control-training-california-contract-for-california-motorcycle-training-class-msf/

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting that so many MSF instructors seem to have been blindsided by the switch in Cali's official program.

From reading the comments below that article, looks like there was an issue with instructors and not with the MSF program.  As soon as the instructors for the Total Control program start in with the pencil whipping, passing sub-par students, giving buddies a pass, the same issues will crop up.

It's pretty easy when driving in traffic to identify motorcycle operators who have had quality training and those who haven't.

Sad thing is she was teaching it on base due to a lot of soldiers coming back from Iraq/Afghanistan buying sport bikes and messing them selves up because they had no prior background in riding. Wierd how history repeats

It's pretty easy when driving in traffic to identify motorcycle operators who have had quality training motocross racing experience and those who haven't.

Had to fix that for ya, brother.  <thumbsup>

• 1 month later...

Good info here.  I was an MSF instructor for close to 10 years.  Also got certified the teach the Total Control course you guys are talking about.  Its a really good class, but honestly it's not for beginners like the MSF Basic Rider Course is.  At the end of the Total Control course, I was dragging my knee it the parking lot.  >:D

Edited by AZ Dean

On my training bike (BMW 1150) I could lay it down to the engine guard and pull my legs up to sit side saddle. I rode the guard till I wore through the metal. As long as there is rubber touching asphalt, you can ride it.

My MSF instructor had a BMW the same way, hers were ground down like knee pucks. She was cool little out there like most bemmer riders but not your typical biker chick

• 2 weeks later...

Cali_Ed - I started with a 250 myself, for the same reason you're talking about.  It wasn't bad, fun little bike, a Honda VTR 250.  I outgrew it quickly though and went to a CBR600 (which I owned for 10 weeks before a lady totaled me out on it).  Then I had a couple of 750 Suzukis, and gave up riding after I came to Houston.

I only read the very first post.  My answer to that is to buy a cheap reliable bike.  I've seen 600 sport bikes with as much horsepower as some of the biggest touring bikes.  Horse power tends to drive up the prices.  A good used bike with a few scratches will make it less noticeable when you add your own scratches.

I think the Suzuki SV650, Gladius, and V-strom have one of the very best beginner motors.

People will tell you that motorcycles are dangerous.  In my experience it's the cars and trucks that are dangerous.

Edited by beeks

• 3 months later...

there is nothing wrong with learning to ride in the dirt... it should almost be a requirement... you'll learn control techniques, cornering, controlling skids, a lot of things that will benefit you on the road... even with my Ultra Classic, I still have used some of my experience dirt riding when a jack@$$ run me off the road when I was passing on a 2 lane road and he wasn't paying attention to what was happening... 70mph in the grass can be a harrowing situation, but I pulled it off and kept right on down the highway... the dirt was always fun, wish I still had a dirt digger, but will take my street bob off onto the dirt paths every now and again... better then nothing...

• 4 weeks later...

Dumb SOB shouldn't ave been hauling ass like that while lane splitting! I've split lanes in Cali and it always seemed prudent to me to not go much faster than the traffic around me, no more than 10 to 15 mph faster. That dipshit was definitely going WAY faster than the surrounding traffic!

Just food for thought, try to find a deal on a xr100 or ttr125,or equivalent, great practice for beginners, it gets you used to the clutch, twist throttle and braking and turning. if you drop it you break a $10 lever. as long as you don't pay too much they are pretty easy to resell. I know several people that have done this, it works well.