• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR-10 platform - what other calibers can be built????

N5XES

i am just finishing up my first AR308. i have two new, extra uppers and just acquired a new lower. Are there other caliber options available to build upon the AR10/AR308 platform and who has the parts? ??? ::)  ?????

Tnx,

Tyrone

Edited by N5XES

One of the reasons I went with a 308 platform was to be able to switch to a 243 for my grand daughter to use while deer hunting. Not much luck finding a barrel so far, but I never give up. My concern now is trying to teach her father, who already knows everything, the how and why of light gunsmith work. Kids now. But I guess I was kinda the same way. I took everything apart when I was young so I could see how it worked. Learned the hard way that knowing how to put something back together was more important than knowing how to take it apart.

There are dozens of caliber options for these large frame rifles, and many barrel makers sell at least a couple different choices.

For example, Black Hole Weaponry will cut a barrel to your specs in .22-250, .220 Swift, .243 Win, .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm08, and .338 Federal, along with .308: http://www.shop.blackholeweaponry.com/AR-10-AR-308_c526.htm

There are many choices out there, just make sure you have the correct bolt to match your barrel, of course.

There are dozens of caliber options for these large frame rifles, and many barrel makers sell at least a couple different choices.

For example, Black Hole Weaponry will cut a barrel to your specs in .22-250, .220 Swift, .243 Win, .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm08, and .338 Federal, along with .308: http://www.shop.blackholeweaponry.com/AR-10-AR-308_c526.htm

There are many choices out there, just make sure you have the correct bolt to match your barrel, of course.

Tnx Chase. I'm leaning toward the most common deer rifle ammo. .243 fits the bill for that along with the 6.5 Creedmor and the .338 Federal. i assume the .338 federal is a lot shorter that the Lapua. wish i could build a .338 Lapua on the AR-10 platform, but definitely the upper and lower recievers will not accomodate  the longer cartridge!!! I was hoping for the .270 also!!! 

Edited by N5XES

DuHHHH!!! i just built a 7.62x51 / .308. i'm referring to the other calibers, for which i'm seeing quite a few new options!!!!

He's a smart-aleck, you'll get used to it... ;)

Wow.  Two people at once who need glasses.   ::)  Bet even Shibi can read the the original response correctly.

I don't have the wallet width to get into another caliber yet, but for say a .243 or 7mm-08 barrel, would you use the same bolt and firing pin as the .308?

The best way to see if a caliber is using the same Bolt face is to look at what shell holder they use for reloading . Both of these take an RCBS # 3 shell holder , so yes a 308 bolt will work , also they are both necked down 308 cases , so that is another way to tell .

7.62x51R  Europe's 30-30 designation , if i'm reading right , I had to look it up  <dontknow>

According to "Cartridges of the World" in the Europeon Sporting Rifle Cartridges section the 7.62X51Rmm is a 30-30 Win.

• 6 years later...
16 minutes ago, Dunter said:

Can you slap on different complete uppers of the same type of AR10? For example swap the 308 with a 6.5 then 243 at the range, similar to how you can swap uppers on an AR15 with different calibers without any issue

The only way to reasonably say yes is if it is the same manufacturer of all of the parts, I.e... all Aero Precision uppers and lowers.  You cannot put an Armalite AR10 upper on an Aero Precision M5 lower or Palmetto State's PA10 or Rock River's LAR 8.  They will not fit at all.  There are some manufacturers that have been proven to interchange but that is, sadly, few and far between.

As a point of fact, AR10 is an Armalite designation for their 308AR rifle.