• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR-10 platform - what other calibers can be built????

N5XES

On 8/21/2021 at 5:28 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

The only way to reasonably say yes is if it is the same manufacturer of all of the parts, I.e... all Aero Precision uppers and lowers.  You cannot put an Armalite AR10 upper on an Aero Precision M5 lower or Palmetto State's PA10 or Rock River's LAR 8.  They will not fit at all.  There are some manufacturers that have been proven to interchange but that is, sadly, few and far between.

As a point of fact, AR10 is an Armalite designation for their 308AR rifle.  

https://www.80percentarms.com/product_images/uploaded_images/33-pnqy4j3ys-qv-6l6rlnvsq6zu8txhp5sv6lhi60e.jpg

As long as they are dpms to dpms or armalite to armalite they are compatible.

On 8/21/2021 at 5:03 PM, Dunter said:

Can you slap on different complete uppers of the same type of AR10? For example swap the 308 with a 6.5 then 243 at the range, similar to how you can swap uppers on an AR15 with different calibers without any issue

Yes, dpms to dpms or armalite to armalite. Most out there are dpms, look for the flat or radius at the rear of the upper receiver

33-pnqy4j3ys-qv-6l6rlnvsq6zu8txhp5sv6lhi60e.jpg

6 hours ago, ValleyCook said:

look for the flat or radius at the rear of the upper receiver

That is not a solid rule, lots of exceptions, lots of Armalite cuts that don't match Armalite and plenty of DPMS cuts that don't match other DPMS cuts. We always recommend sticking with the same manufacturer for the upper and lower, WAY fewer hassles.

32 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

That is not a solid rule, lots of exceptions, lots of Armalite cuts that don't match Armalite and plenty of DPMS cuts that don't match other DPMS cuts. We always recommend sticking with the same manufacturer for the upper and lower, WAY fewer hassles.

Here again JT you are absolutely right,, for example, Wilson Combat is a DPMS pattern rifle with the "ArmaLite" cut ,, so no, if you are not running the same brand of upper and lower, do NOT assume that an upper and lower are compatible, they most likely are not, so run the same brand upper and lower if you are not sure.. I've seen some cobbled together rifles that clearly are not compatible and yet people wonder why they do not run.. its been a while, so don't hold me to it, but Stag 10 is another receiver that is a DPMS rifle with the "ArmaLite" cut on the rear receiver halves,, and if I'm not mistaken?? they have proprietary pivot pins??

I've given up on building an ArmaLite rifle due to my own ignorance and parts availability..

On 10/26/2021 at 10:03 AM, jtallen83 said:

This. Even correct nomenclature doesn’t account for manufacturers tolerances. 

On 10/26/2021 at 9:55 AM, billymagg said:

Here again JT you are absolutely right,, for example, Wilson Combat is a DPMS pattern rifle with the "ArmaLite" cut ,, so no, if you are not running the same brand of upper and lower, do NOT assume that an upper and lower are compatible, they most likely are not, so run the same brand upper and lower if you are not sure.. I've seen some cobbled together rifles that clearly are not compatible and yet people wonder why they do not run.. its been a while, so don't hold me to it, but Stag 10 is another receiver that is a DPMS rifle with the "ArmaLite" cut on the rear receiver halves,, and if I'm not mistaken?? they have proprietary pivot pins??

I've given up on building an ArmaLite rifle due to my own ignorance and parts availability..

I'm not trying to split hairs here, but here we go... If it's dpms then why have an "armalite cut" as you put it?

Also, I've heard and seen strange things over the web and from friends about uppers and lowers fitting correctly. When going same to same, if there are any issues it's most likely a tolerance issue than incompatibly 🤔

3 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Armalite uses a different thread pitch on the barrel nut along w/the slant receiver cut. Some use the DPMS thread for the barrel nut but have the slant receiver cut. I believe Diamond Back is that way. Palmetto does their own thing but uses the DPMS threading on the upper.

The early Live Free Armory receivers had the slant cut, and ran both thread pitches - some were 18 pitch and some were 16 pitch - so you even had to be careful with those, for handguard/barrel nut choice.  Now, all the LFAs are no slant-DPMS LR-308 based.  I have an early LFA set, and testify to that, and provide pics.

4 hours ago, ValleyCook said:

I'm not trying to split hairs here, but here we go... If it's dpms then why have an "armalite cut" as you put it?

That is exactly "splitting hairs" and I'll give you the direct answer:  There IS NOT a mil-spec on large-frame ARs.  Nothing to "follow", for any manufacturer, so any manufacturer out there can do whatever they want, whenever they want. 

As consumers, we have a giant ball of trash to wade through, every single time a new manufacturer releases a new rifle.  Gotta figure out WTF they did with this thing.

On 8/21/2021 at 5:03 PM, Dunter said:

Can you slap on different complete uppers of the same type of AR10? For example swap the 308 with a 6.5 then 243 at the range, similar to how you can swap uppers on an AR15 with different calibers without any issue

Here's the question - he has ONE POST, and we don't know what hardware he's working with.  Not one CLUE.

On 8/21/2021 at 5:28 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

The only way to reasonably say yes is if it is the same manufacturer of all of the parts, I.e... all Aero Precision uppers and lowers.  You cannot put an Armalite AR10 upper on an Aero Precision M5 lower or Palmetto State's PA10 or Rock River's LAR 8.  They will not fit at all.  There are some manufacturers that have been proven to interchange but that is, sadly, few and far between.

As a point of fact, AR10 is an Armalite designation for their 308AR rifle.  

This is legit info. As fuk.

8 minutes ago, ValleyCook said:

So now y'all talking about the nuances of barrel nuts, tpi, etc. The question was can he slap different uppers on his single lower at the range? The answer is still YES.

Yes, yes we are, because that's what's gonna be required, to find out his question.

Mind you, this original thread - before necroscopy - was 2015. 

Go bust out how badass you are in the Intro Section.  I'll help you find it.

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/22-introductions/

20 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Here's the question - he has ONE POST, and we don't know what hardware he's working with.  Not one CLUE.

This is legit info. As fuk.

Yes, yes we are, because that's what's gonna be required, to find out his question.

Mind you, this original thread - before necroscopy - was 2015. 

Go bust out how badass you are in the Intro Section.  I'll help you find it.

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/22-introductions/

Put your glasses back on and look at the date of the question at hand Sir...08/21/2021.

Funny how you missed it when you had to quote the thread.

Also you don't need to be badass to answer such an easy and general question. Y'all named approx 3 or 4 of the several HUNDRED companies that ARE NOT compatible lol and I'm the one splitting hairs, I know 😂.

He asked a basic question and I gave a very basic answer. Sleep tight.

1 minute ago, ValleyCook said:

Put your glasses back on and look at the date of the question at hand Sir...08/21/2021.

Funny how you missed it when you had to quote the thread.

Also you don't need to be badass to answer such an easy and general question. Y'all named approx 3 or 4 of the several HUNDRED companies that ARE NOT compatible lol and I'm the one splitting hairs, I know 😂.

He asked a basic question and I gave a very basic answer. Sleep tight.

Well, you've proven that you're a  complete fucking idiot.  :thumbup:  I already knew that when you posted the first time - and you just HAD TO GET OUT THERE, and prove it to everyone else.  Well done.  Golf Clap for you.  :laffs:  You slayed it. 

19 minutes ago, ValleyCook said:

You look like a total idiot right now - if you even really read what I posted. 

But, I knew that you were a complete idiot.

• 2 weeks later...

If you rebarrel but keep the bolt face and no bigger then original case length these are your options

1. .17/22-250

2. .20 BR

3. .22 Benchrest Remington (BR)
4. .22 BR Norma
5. .22 Cheetah
6. .22 Creedmoor
7. .22 Dasher
8. .22 MDK
9. .22-250 Ackley Improved
10. .22-250 Remington
11. .240 NMC
12. 6-6.5x47mm Lapua
13. 6mm Benchrest Remington
14. 6mm BS (Baby Shehane)
15. 6mm Creedmoor
16. 6mm Dasher
17. 6mm GT
18. 6mm International
19. 6mm Norma BR
20. 6mm/250 AI
21. 6mm/250 Improved (30°)
22. 6mmXC
23. 6mm-BR Improved UBL
24. 6x47mm Swiss Match
25. .250 Humdinger
26. .250 Savage (.250-3000)
27. .250-3000 Ackley Improved
28. .260 Remington Shortened
29. 6.5 Benchrest (BR)
30. 6.5 Creedmoor
31. 6.5 x .250 Bush
32. 6.5x47mm Lapua
33. .270 Hull & Standen ECHO
34. .270 IHMSA
35. .270 Schuster (.270 SCH)
36. .270 Titus Savage / .270 Evans
37. .270-308
38. .277 SIG Fury
39. .280 British
40. 7mm Benchrest Remington
41. 7mm Champ
42. 7mm IHMSA
43. .30 Bellm Rimless
44. .30 BR Remington
45. .30 Thompson Center
46. .300 Savage
47. .308 Ackley Improved
48. .308x1.5" Barnes
49. .30x47mm HBR15
50. 8x51mm Mauser
51. 7.92x33 Kurz
52. .328 Mitchell (8mm/308)
53. .338 Federal
54. .338 Nicholson
55. .338 Whisper
56. .357 Auto Mag
57. .38-45 Clerke
58. .358 Hoosier
59. .358 Winchester
60. .375-08 Jaguar
61. .375-08
62. .40 Super
63. .400 CorBon
64. .400 Super
65. .41 Avenger
66. .44 Auto Mag
67. 11.35mm Schouboe
68. .45 Remington-Thompson
69. .45 Automatic Short
70. .45 Auto
71. .45 Glock Automatic Pistol
72. .45 Raptor
73. .45 Super®
74. .45 Winchester Magnum
75. .450 Bushmaster
76. .450 SMC
77. .460 Rowland
78. .458 SOCOM
79. .475 Lehigh
80. .475 Wildey Magnum
81. .50 GI

If you rebarrel and modify bolt face/ extractor then the caliber options goes up to 534

34 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

You forgot 7mm/08

^^^   Legit answer...   :lmao:  That's my next Large Frame AR, right there, too...  Because that's the one I'm missing, based on the .308 Win parent case...  :laffs:

I honestly don't think I can build any Large Frame AR that will smoke my .260 Rem gun.  That thing is ridiculous...  :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

37 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

You forgot 7mm/08

I covered my a$$ in stating max of original case length. This is a crude way to sort out which will feed through the mag well but no means perfect. The 7mm-08( Remington and Ackley) are both 2.035" vs .308 at 2.015" 

If I remove the case length constraint then there are 1112 caliber options. A number of those would regulate the large AR frame to a single shot

17 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

^^^   Legit answer...   :lmao:  That's my next Large Frame AR, right there, too...  Because that's the one I'm missing, based on the .308 Win parent case...  :laffs:

I honestly don't think I can build any Large Frame AR that will smoke my .260 Rem gun.  That thing is ridiculous...  :banana:

The .260 also didn't show up( for me) till third list because of case length at 2.035".

If I change the parameter to cases up to 2.035" then there are 544 caliber options