• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Robocop1051 gets Tom-ahawked by surprise.

Robocop1051

I recently got a text message from Uncle Tom, down in Arizona, stating that there was a surprise in the mail for me. I wasn't sure what to make of this, especially with recent discussions regarding giant, purple, double-headed, jelly dongs. He assured me that this was something I really wanted and that he took the initiative to make sure I had it. He did make me promise not to use it in the house....

My only request to him was that whatever it was, was packaged discreetly, as my mother in law has been living with me since the twins were born.

I waited anxiously by the door for several days,until a large brown box appeared at my door.

IMG_1700_zps37sw9ksf.jpg

I quickly snapped out my Emerson and got to cutting... and cutting.... and more cutting... HolyFuck! Is there a Ming Vase in here? What the fcuk is all this paper for?

IMG_1702_zpshpkkaxnn.jpg

Finally I get through about 8" of padding to reach my surprise. Much to my relief, is was neither purple, nor made of jelly. This was a super badass Colombia River (CRKT) Chogan Woods Tomahawk. The very same 'hawk I had been drooling over just a few weeks prior.

IMG_1703_zps3m1an8av.jpg

IMG_1705_zpspxjdhy4b.jpg

It came basically as how you see it. There was a little plastic blade guard, but that got tossed with the packaging. The head had a hammered look, with some kind of powder coating (I assume to protect the carbon metal) And the handle was a blonde hickory with a lacquered finish.

Those of you who know me know, I can't leave "well enough" alone...

First thing I did was strip the handle down to bare wood. Then I re-stained the wood with a much darker mahogany... I tried a grey drift wood look first but that was too light again. After a few stains, I had the look I wanted.

Next was the big task. Bust out the dremmel and ground off not only the powder coating, but also all the hammer marks. Took it down to smooth bare metal all over. Break out the heavy sander... hit her with some 60g... then 150g... then some 400 to polish her up. Last, the bare metal was too bright, so I dropped the head in a pot of boiling Apple cider vinegar (something I learned from BladeForum.com, using the acid to age the metal) to put a patina back on the metal. The end result was dull, deep grey finish.... fuckin perfect!!

Of course I ordered a new blade protector the second I opened the package. The kydex cover came in the mail the day I finished with all the sanding of the head.

My last touch was my first attempt at some paracord knot tying. I dressed up the shafts with a little turk head knot. I also added a strap for the cover to attach to the hawk for added security.

20150609_132156_zpshgndqccn.jpg

20150609_132242_zpsmjqkopxc.jpg

Special thanks to my blood brother (it's fuckin happening!) 98Z5V for the hook up. I only hope he's as appreciative of my work as I am of his gift. This 'hawk is getting attached to my gear ASAP, and going everywhere with me from now on.

Ps. My wife said I couldn't chop the watermelon... but at least I tried!

Hell yeah, brother!!!  WooHoo!!!  :hethan:

I liked his so damn much that I didn't want to send it out to him...  <lmao>

Mine came in the mail this afternoon.  :banana:

post-7-0-28440300-1433893576_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-26380000-1433893581_thumb.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

I'm screwed as soon as I saw yours.  I started looking for nother one, and had to have it - and found out they have fucking accessories!  I snatched that leather cover to attach to my daily bag.  I was looking at all kinds of kydex stuff until I got dizzy, and just ordered the leather...   <lmao>

Next - probably stain it darker, drill the handle for a lanyard, wrap some paracord...  It's ridiculous. 

I quickly snapped out my Emerson and got to cutting... and cutting.... and more cutting... HolyFuck! Is there a Ming Vase in here? What the fcuk is all this paper for?

IMG_1702_zpshpkkaxnn.jpg

I prepped this package at work - i intentionally went to my Shipping & Receiving Guys, and told them to give up the stash of heavy paper...  <lmao>

I papered the hell out of this thing, and wasted ALOT of tape!!! 

That just makes it so much better when you're trying to get to it...   :hethan:  :banana:

Screw cleaning the guns.....be sharpening that bad boy when the boyfriends start to show up.

You know that's coming up soon right?? And likely there'll be a lot of double dates. You already know which one of them is going to be trouble, don't you?

Special thanks to my blood brother (it's fuckin happening!) 98Z5V for the hook up. I only hope he's as appreciative of my work as I am of his gift. This 'hawk is getting attached to my gear ASAP, and going everywhere with me from now on.

Game on...   <lmao>

Screw cleaning the guns.....be sharpening that bad boy when the boyfriends start to show up.

You know that's coming up soon right?? And likely there'll be a lot of double dates. You already know which one of them is going to be trouble, don't you?

I was thinking the same thing! Pg! Edited by sketch

Very nice piece(s) I like the refinish job, I would have done the same thing.  Although, as soon as I saw that watermelon on Robs counter I was scrolling down to see the pic of that thing smashing through and was disappointed when I didnt see any......... <dontknow>