• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Range Report-Aero M5 16" build

Spartan

So I built my first LR308 or AR10 whatever the technical name is not to long ago.  I was able to put a mag through it the next week in the pouring rain at my dad's farm but haven't been able to shoot it since.  Finally got out there again last weekend.

The gun.. 

B08BA124-0CC3-4C4B-B0D2-C9963FC35968_zps

I don't have a gun vise so this was just shooting off a cheap plastic table, bipod and using my rolled up shooting mat as a rear rest.  100 yards, hot as **** out, some south wind (shooting north).  The Geissele SSA-E trigger is just amazing.  Such a crisp break.   It is described as a candy cane like break and i would say that's very accurate.  

My first groups were jumping all over the place.  I was aiming at the bullseye and one shot would be 1-2" bottom right, the next shot would be 1-2" top left.  It was EXTREMELY frustrating.  Anyway, they started tightening up.  It's no Larue OBR but I think it will get better and I'll get more used to it.  Ill start stretching it out next time.  Overall, I think I'm pleased for what i have in it.  

3c4ab98a-3272-48f1-940f-c78c037332d0_zps

Cleaned the bore, next group tightened up a little.. 

C61D3D6C-F9B2-4AE9-A960-AE96CE1D09E3_zps

did it again.. and last group was tolerable considering how i was shooting.  

0CC2ACB1-07FD-4323-A1D0-31514814F667_zps

My 18" AR15 for reference, i just put a mag through it, not trying super hard.  It has a White Oak Armament Barrel and just added a VG Precision Epsilon Comp and wow... cuts the recoil to nothing.  It's sighted in at 200 yards so it was shooting 2" high.  

B2ADB1D4-6AE3-45D9-AC36-FE0424449C94_zps

Sharp looking rifle! From the looks of the groups a little more familiarity and and you'll need to use a dime for size reference <thumbsup>

Ah, my bad, i usually shoot steel.  Ill do that in the future.  thanks for the heads up.  

Build list:

Aero M5 16" upper 1/10 twist SS barrel
VG6 Precision Gamma 7.62 muzzle brake
BCM Gunfighter mod 4 CH (had to file it a little bit for clearance on the lower)
Cryptic Coatings 308 BCG in mystic black
Burris PEPR 30mm scope ring with sightron 6-24x50 scope
Primary Arms Keymod bipod mount

Aero M5 enhanced lower
Aero LPK
Geissele SSA-E trigger (big improvement over SSA which is on my RRA gun) break is much lighter
Magpul 1.1 MIAD grip (definitely easier to use than the 1.0)
Magpul STR stock in FDE
Anderson 308 buffer tube kit

I have just under $1600 in it when I took the ammo/mags out of my order cost.  Not bad considering all the components are top notch stuff (except the scope mount, need a better one).  

Ammo was just PMC bronze or whatever it is. I have some federal gold match coming.  I was more just trying to see the ballpark i was in.  Im going to order a rifle rest too. 
Edited by Spartan

Get that bipod off the table and in the dirt. I bet you take 30% off your group just doing that.

Just shooting prone you mean or bag it up some?  Im trying to decide between a caldwell lead sled or some shooting bags.  

Looks like the rifle will perform well for an average shooter such as myself.  Some people had said their Aero's weren't putting up good groups. 

Edited by Spartan

It may take a higher round count to season the Barrel for better grouping also . And as said , you may get some recoil bounce off that table . I like Bags filled with sand , myself & I also like prone. I have an adj. front rest , with sand bag & a rear sand bag. 

The trigger may also take some time to get used to also.  Nice rifle .

It may take a higher round count to season the Barrel for better grouping also . And as said , you may get some recoil bounce off that table . I like Bags filled with sand , myself & I also like prone. I have an adj. front rest , with sand bag & a rear sand bag. 

The trigger may also take some time to get used to also.  Nice rifle .

Yes, it was tightening up with each mag of 20.  It's going to get a very thorough barrel cleaning tonight.  

I got some 25 round mags but now i wonder why...  i ALWAYS shoot prone lol, was just trying to get better grouping with the little table, go figure.  Thanks for the tips guys.  

I think considering i was shooting off a bipod/table, it's going to do d@mn good.  I'm happy with it. 

Edited by Spartan

Yes, it was tightening up with each mag of 20. It's going to get a very thorough barrel cleaning tonight.

I got some 25 round mags but now i wonder why... i ALWAYS shoot prone lol, was just trying to get better grouping with the little table, go figure. Thanks for the tips guys.

I think considering i was shooting off a bipod/table, it's going to do d@mn good. I'm happy with it.

Load the bipod a bit when you're prone, dig your tiptoes in a bit and push yourself forward slightly, but don't go crazy and mess up your natural point of aim.

Ha, guess i was little a blonde yesterday.   Lot's going on at work.  Thanks for the shooting tips.  Hope to put a few more rounds through it in the next few weeks.  That Cryptic Coatings BCG is the slickest thing I've ever felt!  Makes NiB feel like sandpaper.  

I went with the Anderson Manufacturing 308 buffer tube kit from Primary Arms.  I'm going to get a JP silent captured spring for it next.  I just wanted to get it running 100% before i started tinkering.  

did yours finally come in or are  you just sourcing the last of the parts?

Edited by Spartan

For first time not bad at all. After you get a chance to experiment with different ammo to find out what it likes( nice build by the way) along with the above shooting tips, you will be cutting those groups a lot and getting more consistent shot placement. Look forward to your reports.

I just ordered a few boxes of gold match.  Sadly, it will probably be two weeks before i can put them through it.  

After i ordered everything i read a few mixed reviews on the aero stuff so i was nervous at first especially when the first rounds were moving around but Im really happy with how it's shooting now.  Aero has a really great value on this build.   I was able to put a lot of quality components (SSA-E trigger, Cryptic Coatings BCG) etc for about what i would've bought a stock gun for. 

Edited by Spartan

I have no idea how i got mine so quickly.  I ordered it two days into the sale i think.  I did a lot of reading before ordering.  Waiting for gun stuff is unbearable!!!!!!  Now Im anxious to see how his build looks/turns out. 

They were out of stock of the NiB BCGs when i ordered otherwise I would've got theirs but i REALLY love this Cryptic Coatings BCG.  It makes NiB feel like sandpaper.  Plus i like the wet black look on this particular gun with the black accents/grip. 

Damn Rene. Still waiting (as if I'm one to talk)? You better get that damn thing soon. Otherwise.......I'm gonna have to come out there and start drinking with you......and we won't stop until it finally comes in. :happydrunks:

As if we needed an excuse..... <laughs> you'r welcome anytime brother.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't ran any gold match yet. I can't remember what the reviews were, there weren't many. Could've been minor stuff like bcm charging handle fitment. My groups tightened up with each magazine. Hope to run more soon. For what I have in it. Pretty happy with the groups.

• 5 months later...