• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Matrix .338 Federal Pig Puncher

98Z5V

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One interesting thing I did with this build was the small rail section on the handguard.  Forgot to mention it before.

Now, opinions being like assholes, and everyone having one...  I'm not a giant fan of KeyMod.  When I got this matched receiver set, it was with the rail, and I wasn't gonna say no to it, for sure - GREAT matched receiver set and damn nice profile on the rail!

However, as the build was finishing up, I needed to find a small rail section for a light (in the future) and a way to add a QD socket for a forward sling mount...  Well, KeyMod shiit is very specialized, pricey, and I didn't want to take up a metric shiit-ton of space just to get this done...

Enter Strike Industries, once again.  They make this 7-section piece of picatinny rail WITH a QD socket in it, AND the thing works on both KeyMod and M-LOK. I wish I would have grabbed a pic of the backside of it, so you can see how it's made to fit both, but I'm not taking it back off just to get a pic for you bastages.  :lmao:  It's a damn smart design.  :thumbup:

At any rate, if any of you guys are looking for something like this, then search it out from Strike Industries.

P1050501.JPG

P1050502.JPG

@shepp any way to do some moderator magic and cut from here down and stick it into my matrix thread? Unclutter Tom's build and add it to where it's relevant?

@98Z5V or anyone else with a matrix gun and other make 308. 

Can you do me a solid? Line your matrix gun up alongside your other brand, and tell me if the first rail slot closest to the charging handle is in the same position for both guns? Are all the rail slots in the same place in relation to the front and rear of the receiver? I seem to have a clearance issue with my SPR top rail almost touching the rear sight but I can't move it back any further. It's in the last slot. I don't think this was an issue with DPMS

Edited by blue109

On 2/14/2017 at 8:42 AM, blue109 said:

@98Z5V or anyone else with a matrix gun and other make 308. 

Can you do me a solid? Line your matrix gun up alongside your other brand, and tell me if the first rail slot closest to the charging handle is in the same position for both guns? Are all the rail slots in the same place in relation to the front and rear of the receiver? I seem to have a clearance issue with my SPR top rail almost touching the rear sight but I can't move it back any further. It's in the last slot. I don't think this was an issue with DPMS

Bad news, brother - DEFINITELY DIFFERENT.  That first Pic slot on the Matrix is easily 3/8" further forward when compare to an Aero Precision 308 upper.

Aero in the front, Matrix in the back.  Can't find my calipers right now, but the last pic is the difference in measurements between the back of the upper tang and the edge of the first slot in the Pic rail.

P1050503.JPG

P1050504.JPG

P1050505.JPG

P1050507.JPG

See this Mk 12 Mod 0 here?  It's the PRI Continuous Top Rail.  That rail goes in a specific position in order for it's cutouts to clear the barrel nut.

Now, PRI also makes a rear sight that matches the taper to the back of that top rail. 

Issue - Matrix .308AR upper receiver needs ONE MORE PIC SLOT at the back of the upper receiver in order to mount up the PRI Top Rail.

Comprende?...

mark12_8.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Now, PRI also makes a rear sight that matches the taper to the back of that top rail.

Other rear sights also work, like the KAC, the DICK Swan, but not many... Because of the shape of the back of that PRI Continuous Top Rail...

Tell me you get it now...  You gotta...

Edited by 98Z5V