• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Matrix .338 Federal Pig Puncher

98Z5V

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lube is a success.  Complete success.  You guys saw what I put on it.  FIRST round, brand new build, never been cycled, gas block isn't carbon-fouling sealed yet...

And it's a Big AR, that must be run dripping wet...  Not anymore, boys...

Only got 50 yards today, but the sights are ON for 50 yards.  ON. The irons are right there, and staying right there, and I'm happy with them. Not going to zero the irons for further than that, based on the point-blank zero for this cartridge.  50 yards on a zero give me out to 280 yards, point-blank on fat pig vitals, and I'm keeping it.  I WISH I had the time to get the magnified optic to 100 yards, but that shiit just wasn't happening today - I'll take it for what it is.

Pics below show the scoped target as the bottom target  - with the first round shown in the vid above - the very first round out of the rifle - and the ending zero round.  Upper target is the irons-zero target, with first round / ending zero round. 

P1050497.JPG

2 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

Nice brother, VERY NICE!!!

Sheeeeeit...  If I was broadbillodin, I could do that at 500meters. I feel lucky to hit that at 50 yards, on irons. And I thought I had it dialed... :banana:

On a side note - that MagPul offset rear sight...  that windage adjustment knob on that thing is a motherfucker to twist. I'm not kidding.  That thing is TIGHT. After ripping up my finger, and almost giving up, it moved ONE CLICK.  After that ONE CLICK, I felt confident, and muscled through it to make it's adjustments.  I almost grabbed pliers to get this shiit done.  No joke.  I'd tell anyone else to skip the bullshiit, and use pliers. It's that stiff of an adjustment.  Fuk that thing. 

Okay, back to the lube. LUBE.

Only fired 60 rounds today out of the rifle.  However, stripped everything in the BCG down when I got home, and literally wiped it all down.  I literally WIPED all the junk off the bolt tail, and the firing pin.  Now, granted, it was only 60 rounds down the pipe - but everything was coated before I left, and I WIPED IT OFF once I returned... I've never been able to do this before...

More testing will definitely happen. 

P1050499.JPG

P1050500.JPG

Tell you what - this rifle shoots easier than the 16" .308AR I have.  DAMN easier than the 16" .308 Win bolt gun that I have (Ruger GSR, WITH Spike's DynaComp). That GSR used to rattle teeth, before the comp on it. Now, it just shakes teeth... 

This .338 Fed AR shoots softer than the .308 WIN AR, and it's the exact same brake on both rifles - so, ZERO disparity there.

Damn, this thing is nice...  :thumbup: