• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Matrix .338 Federal Pig Puncher

98Z5V

Damn, if there's any left on Friday, I'll grab a bunch of it.  That's a great deal, brother - thanks for finding that!

MagPul MBUS Pro Offset sights will be here Friday, and the Primary Arms 1~6 scope will be here next week.  Don't know if I'll get a chance to zero the iron sights this weekend or not, but I'm gonna try.  :thumbup:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran some weight numbers on the Pig Puncher, thus far.  It doesn't FEEL this heavy, I swear!  :lmao:

The Coke-Gram Scale has a max weight limit, so I broke a few things down - which is a benefit. Individual weights on a few key parts.

PMag 20, loaded with 20 rounds of Federal Fusion 200-grain .338 Fed rounds = 25.40 oz

Lower receiver assembly, complete = 44.50 oz

Upper receiver setup, NO BCG, NO charging handle= 66.55 oz

BCM Gunfighter 308 charging handle, Large latch = 1.40 oz

D Wilson BCG, complete = 17.65 oz

Beachin Tactical sling, WITH QD sling mounts = 6.55 oz

Total on the gun, as it sits in the pics = 162.05 oz.  That's 10.128 lbs, with a 20-round mag of 200-grainers, loaded.  NO sights yet.

The MagPul MBus Pro offset sights come in tomorrow, PA 1~6 scope and mount next week. I'll update those parts-weights, and re-total. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

What are you running for a buffer and spring? Anything special or just standard 308 parts?

All Armalite. AR-10 Carbine receiver extension, EA1095 spring, AR-10 Carbine H3 buffer (exact same as AR-15 Carbine H3 buffer).  That's all I'm ever gonna run on any 308AR Carbine-stock setup ever again, after what I found with the long (internal) Aero Precision receiver extension, when shiit didn't quite work right.  No more messing around with the Big Carbine Buffer parts,brother...  :thumbup:

Optic/sighting weights.  And some notes.  I'm using the Primary Arms 1~6 scope on this, and I originally planned on the 1~8 for it. Money got in the way, literally. The 1~6 was $269, and the 1~8 was $379. To get it done right now, I went with the 1~6, only for money reasons. Later, way down the road, this will get the 1~8 on it, and I'll update then. For now, and for money reasons, the 1~6 will do. 

On that same note, I grabbed the Primary Arms Extended 30mm mount for it, and it was $60.  That saves me over the American Defense mount by a hundred bucks. Eventually...

Now, the instructions in the Primary Arms mount kit states 15~20 in/lbs on the scope cap bolts, then 40-something in/lbs on the rail mount nuts. Not worried about the strength of the rail mount nuts, because they're stout.  The mount went on the rail to "tight," then 1/4 turn with, literally, a quarter in the slot.  Done. 

Mounting the scope in the rings - I don't play with that stuff.  The guys that just came out will tell you that, when I mounted Matt's Vortex scope. I've got a Snap-On torque driver that goes 5 in/lb to 40 in/lb for this business.  Now, PA states 15~20 in/lb on those ring bolts... I figured I'd start at 15 on all, then go 20.  Well, I went 15 on all of them. Done. Just from the feel, I don't know if I'd want to go 20in/lb on them all.  Again, this is INCH/POUNDS, not higher at ft/lbs.  I can see people now with their Craftsman automotive torque wrench just fukkin'some shiit up...  :lmao:

Just a word of caution, men.  Nothing more. 

1 PP5.jpg

1 PP6.jpg

1 PP7.jpg

1 PP8.jpg

So, we're looking at 25.70 oz for the scope, mounted in it's mount, and 3.90 oz for the MagPul Offset sights, as added weight to what I offered as a rifle weight before.  That was 162.05 oz, loaded with a 20-round mag of 200-grain Federal Fusion rounds.

Grand total, all optics and sights, loaded with a 20-round mag - and Jacob's sling - is 191.65 oz, or 11.978 pounds.  I'm happy.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

15 minutes ago, sketch said:

How long before punching pig? 

My old district sales manager quit his job cold-turkey, and moved back to the family business in central Tejas.  As soon as we can work out a trip, I'm working for him, for free, and ridding him of as many piglets as he can handle... :thumbup:

Oh, and beer...  :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

On that same note, I grabbed the Primary Arms Extended 30mm mount for it, and it was $60.  That saves me over the American Defense mount by a hundred bucks. Eventually...

Now, the instructions in the Primary Arms mount kit states 15~20 in/lbs on the scope cap bolts, then 40-something in/lbs on the rail mount nuts. Not worried about the strength of the rail mount nuts, because they're stout.  The mount went on the rail to "tight," then 1/4 turn with, literally, a quarter in the slot.  Done. 

Mounting the scope in the rings - I don't play with that stuff.  The guys that just came out will tell you that, when I mounted Matt's Vortex scope. I've got a Snap-On torque driver that goes 5 in/lb to 40 in/lb for this business.  Now, PA states 15~20 in/lb on those ring bolts... I figured I'd start at 15 on all, then go 20.  Well, I went 15 on all of them. Done. Just from the feel, I don't know if I'd want to go 20in/lb on them all.  Again, this is INCH/POUNDS, not higher at ft/lbs.  I can see people now with their Craftsman automotive torque wrench just fukkin'some shiit up...  :lmao:

Just a word of caution, men.  Nothing more. 

I have used that same PA mount for near three years now on both 308 and 5.56 with no issues. I did give it a little time with the lapping compound to even out a couple high spots. I go 35 in/lb on the rail mount and the same 15 in/lb you went with on the rings but after I lapped it I gave them a touch of blue loctite figuring I would not need to mess with them again. It has been an issue free mount for me, a bargain for the money! I had to grind just a touch off the lower front to clear the barrel nut on my M-15T upper when I moved it to that rifle.

9 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

The pigs won't have a chance.

I hope they explode, and I don't mean that in a figurative sense...  :laffs: 

I'm gonna load the heaviest Barnes TSX load that I can, while maintaining 300 yards effective on the round...  :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

54 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Somebody say beer?

How do you keep your operator figure killing beers.. been watching mat best vids while snowed in sorry, on to archer now brapp! Lol!:evil:.  

Before edge says do more sit ups... ive been out for two days with a pinched nerve or some shits! Mounted a bipod today while leaning on a crutch.??

21 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Nees MOOOOAR Patriot Brown, brother! That's coming!

See never finished bro! I have the wheeler fat wrench! Good idea for builders! Might pick up a level level system if i cant control your enabeling asses !