Canning anyone??

shepp

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure it's good, but canned elk just sounds strange.

We can a lot of tomato sauce. Make up a BIG pot of spicey sauce and put it in quart jars. Great pasta topping at a moments notice.

you have a good recipe? I just picked 12# of Roma's off one plant, I'd like to make sauce. The recipe I found is pretty basic.

magwa is right and it does sound funny it looks funny, but I tell you it melts in your mouth!!! I gave a can to a guy I worked with cuz he thought the same I asked him how he liked it, he  Said "it was so good it didn't make it to the table, the boy and I ate it right out the pan"

magwa, if you like philly cheese steaks take a jar of meat add some green pepper and jalapeños along with a 1/4 onion and can it that way. Holy cow that made for good meat! 

one of my favorite recipes for canned meat is pints, a big clove of garlic, 2 young onions like ping pong ball size..... and a jalapeno pepper add all the veggies at the bottom add meat and 1/4 teaspoon salt can.... make rice cook heat a pint of the meat canned and pour over rice add hot sauce to taste.....

one of my favorite recipes for canned meat is pints, a big clove of garlic, 2 young onions like ping pong ball size..... and a jalapeno pepper add all the veggies at the bottom add meat and 1/4 teaspoon salt can.... make rice cook heat a pint of the meat canned and pour over rice add hot sauce to taste.....

Sounds just like my Grandma's recipe for canned pork except she used a few peppercorns instead of the jalapeno. Good stuff!

Salmon is easy fillet, skin, and cut into 1 inch chunks fill pint jars up to 1/2 inch below jar mouth wipe rim clean,add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt put lids on and pressure cook for 110 min at 10 lbs  pressure may bea bit different at different altitudes but that is it.... now you can add liquid smoke, or lemon pepper 1 teaspoon per pint or any other flavor you might fancy, we make salmon patty's, dips  sandwich spread etc or just eat it plain with crackers....

Hmm that would never have crossed my mind. Some horseradish, some dill and bam that would be perfect

Hmm that would never have crossed my mind. Some horseradish, some dill and bam that would be perfect

I've tried horse radish in my canned venison I don't think it holds up to the 90 min in the pressure cooker cuz I can't ever taste it after not even a hint of it

• 1 month later...

Nice looking peppers there Shepp. I'm a dyed in the wool pepper aficionado! Love the heat! 

Was a good year for peppers everyone I've talked to said they've been hotter than usual. I know I had to buy a box of rubber gloves, I've never had much of an issue before but my figures would burn for a few days after.

malig8r you'd like these then, hot dill beans for bloody Mary's or you could eat them plain, there's a half jalapeño and a half hobenaro in there

image.jpeg

Edited by shepp

• 1 month later...

Well veggie canning is over garden is long frozen. This year I did the most I've ever done:

42 pints of salsa

13 pints tomato sauce 

9.5 pints salsa verde

21.5 pints of apple sauce (ten I did for a buddy and his family)

23.5 pints of hot dill beans

6 quarts of stewed tomatos 

right now I'm working on the left over thanksgiving turkey and a smoked chicken carcass and making stock which should yield 5-6 quarts of stock, which is awesome for soups especially with the smoked chicken in there. I may can some veison other than that I'm done for the year

image.jpeg

Edited by shepp

Awesome to see you guys canning it is one of those lost barts not many folks do anymore around here we can everything ,stew, soup, meat, fish, veggies, dilly beans (do the same thing to real small unripe tomatoes dilly matos) this year is winding down we picked all the tomatoes about 3 weeks ago and we have one box left ripening yep still eating tomatoes from the garden..... life is indeed good....

I ordered some of these to try

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1945102584/pickle-pipe-waterless-fermentation-airlock-for-mas

since you pickle in the mason jar, when its done you can just seal it and store it i'm figuring

so you could make small batches of sauerkraut with those I'd imagine? That's on my list next year, I forgot how good home made sauerkraut is! 

Awesome to see you guys canning it is one of those lost barts not many folks do anymore around here we can everything ,stew, soup, meat, fish, veggies, dilly beans (do the same thing to real small unripe tomatoes dilly matos) this year is winding down we picked all the tomatoes about 3 weeks ago and we have one box left ripening yep still eating tomatoes from the garden..... life is indeed good....

I like it due to the fact you know what's in it where the produce came from and instead of going to the store ya just go grab somthing outta the basement