• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Canning anyone??

shepp

8 hours ago, Sisco said:

Going to do a light brine and smoke on some Lake Trout and Coho Salmon this summer then can them.

may i suggest cold smoke or as low as temp as you can go they will cook more than enough when canning but lake trout makes some fine smoked canned fish....as they can be big or small when filleting them i remove all bones I can all the rest will dissolve...

Edited by Magwa

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Magwa said:

may i suggest cold smoke or as low as temp as you can go they will cook more than enough when canning but lake trout makes some fine smoked canned fish....as they can be big or small when filleting them i remove all bones I can all the rest will dissolve...

Thanks for the suggestion, makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, dpete said:

Keep this kind of thing up and we'll have to have a WI Lake Superior close to shore fishing outting.  Are you running planer boards at all?

All the time. But we still have ice. I just emptied out my freezer. Duluth has open water, so does Saxon Harbor but we are iced up.

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I can't make it up there right now, but you're sure making my mouth water. I haven't figured out whether I should say "thank you" or fuk you." :banana:

Definitely tell him to fuk himself...   :laffs::thefinger:

9 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I can't make it up there right now, but you're sure making my mouth water. I haven't figured out whether I should say "thank you" or fuk you." :banana:

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Definitely tell him to fuk himself...   :laffs::thefinger:

That's always the default answer around here.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Elizabeth had been canning the last couple of months like crazy. Things slowed down because of holidays but a lot of stuff is in the freezer just waiting. I also got her a second pressure canner, so she runs two of the large ones at once. 
A38A9645-6171-4468-80F3-2AFD4E021C16.thumb.jpeg.733fe16684dd74cad46bfd419684586a.jpeg

we buy multiple truck loads of peppers,onions, squash, tomatoes, apples, and many other things by the bushels from the Amish who are locally growing it. Most things are 1/2 to 1/10 the cost that we would pay at any grocery store. Wife keeps an eye out for sales as well. 
4171787D-7630-4A8E-BC6C-30E80C7F4165.thumb.jpeg.151b2cb977d0aa716a436e0791aec13b.jpeg
Our upstairs 6x7 pantry is literally packed from floor to 9 foot ceiling with jars and other type of packaged food… so I started building shelves in the basement for everything the wife was canning this year. Wood is also from the Amish. Again, so much cheaper. And once it is done, it will hold 1092 quart jars. Also building another shelf for pints that is just a few feet shorter than this one and will hold well over 1200 pints. 

so far we have over 800 quarts canned and idk how many hundreds of pints. With the cost of meat and other stuff, 90% of it is locally grown and almost all the meat is hunted. 

On 12/4/2021 at 8:30 AM, ARTrooper said:

Elizabeth had been canning the last couple of months like crazy. Things slowed down because of holidays but a lot of stuff is in the freezer just waiting. I also got her a second pressure canner, so she runs two of the large ones at once. 
A38A9645-6171-4468-80F3-2AFD4E021C16.thumb.jpeg.733fe16684dd74cad46bfd419684586a.jpeg

we buy multiple truck loads of peppers,onions, squash, tomatoes, apples, and many other things by the bushels from the Amish who are locally growing it. Most things are 1/2 to 1/10 the cost that we would pay at any grocery store. Wife keeps an eye out for sales as well. 
4171787D-7630-4A8E-BC6C-30E80C7F4165.thumb.jpeg.151b2cb977d0aa716a436e0791aec13b.jpeg
Our upstairs 6x7 pantry is literally packed from floor to 9 foot ceiling with jars and other type of packaged food… so I started building shelves in the basement for everything the wife was canning this year. Wood is also from the Amish. Again, so much cheaper. And once it is done, it will hold 1092 quart jars. Also building another shelf for pints that is just a few feet shorter than this one and will hold well over 1200 pints. 

so far we have over 800 quarts canned and idk how many hundreds of pints. With the cost of meat and other stuff, 90% of it is locally grown and almost all the meat is hunted. 

Love it! 

im coming up for tomatoes next year, my garden was an epic fair this year! 

you guys making any stocks/broth? I’m finishing venison stock today. I’ll post up about it when I’m done.