• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Canning anyone??

shepp

8 hours ago, shrade said:

My garden has been going nuts this summer so I have been canning too. In July I canned about 14 quarts of dill spears and and 8 quarts of  refrigerator dill chips. Had a bumper crop of spuds so I canned 12 quarts, first time for that. Have 24 pints of salsa up, with more tomatoes on the way.  Tired of eating fresh green beans, so canned 7 pints of those today. Also canned up 7 or 8 pints of Dilly beans. Those are great with beer. Cider vinegar with dill, garlic and red cayenne pepper. Shepp you said you hated to peel tomatoes, you blanch them first? That is better than peeling them raw.  Canning  seems like a lot of work, but sure tastes good. Sorry I don't have any pics of the finished product.

Yes I blanch them, I need to find a helper lol

i do regular green beans and hot dilly ones too, hoping to do a batch of both this year along with apple sauce and salsa verde. I need to find more jars tho slim pickings this year

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/24/2020 at 7:25 AM, shepp said:

Yes I blanch them, I need to find a helper lol

i do regular green beans and hot dilly ones too, hoping to do a batch of both this year along with apple sauce and salsa verde. I need to find more jars tho slim pickings this year

Ran out of Jars yesterday, went to Super Saver got 3 doz WM pints they had no lids the clerk said they have not been able to get them for several months, will have to stock up this fall and winter. 

1 hour ago, shrade said:

Ran out of Jars yesterday, went to Super Saver got 3 doz WM pints they had no lids the clerk said they have not been able to get them for several months, will have to stock up this fall and winter. 

Yea I’ll definitely start hoarding 

3 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

@shepp how's canning supplies stock in your area? I here all the new canners complaining they can't find lids.

Lids are impossible I had some left, I usually don’t like using wide mouth But I can’t be picky right now. 

I did ordered directly from ball, I got shipping confirmation today looks like they’re coming on the slow boat from China 

On 8/25/2020 at 1:43 PM, Sisco said:

Nice Mags! Are they small enough the bones soften up, or do you have to bone them as well?

The bone pretty much dissolve I still remove all I see when I open a jar but they are soft and you would never know them from any of the other meat... they probably averaged 12 inches...

On 8/22/2019 at 5:30 AM, Cliff R said:

We've been plagued with disease here for our tomatoes for several years. 

They advertise some that are "resistant" to the blight, but I can't seem to grow them these days like we used to.  They start out great, then turn yellow from the bottom up and die out.

A good friend of mine has a "truck patch" that's grown to nearly 20 acres over the past 40 years or so.  He did 1000 tomato plants this year, most of the rest is sweet corn.  I was over there last night picking up 10 dozen for canning today. 

I asked him how he keeps the disease down in the tomatoes, he says "plastic", yep, nothing special just minimizing the plants exposure to the soil around it.........Cliff

Cliff: instead of plastic i cover the soil with 4-6 layers of newspapers to keep the soil from splashing on the plants, mulch everything heavily with prairie hay, this holds the blight down. I also install soaker hoses under the mulch and try and avoid sprinklers if possible. Blossom end rot is a calcium deficiency, so I mix about a 1/4 cup of powdered milk in the planting hole seems to work. 

shrade

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

That picture makes me miss my Grandmother, nobody in the family ever took up here canning habits.

I’m so glad my mom taught me, her mother taught her. I grow most my garden for canning. I don’t even like fresh green beans which is what got me into pressure canning. 

I learned from my mom as well. I am on the lookout for a sale on some chuck roasts so I can can that too.  Friends of my folks use to butcher a steer and can a bunch of it. It is fantastic on mashed potatoes!

Canned 10 pints of pasta sauce the other day, last of the Roma tomatoes. 

23 minutes ago, shrade said:

I learned from my mom as well. I am on the lookout for a sale on some chuck roasts so I can can that too.  Friends of my folks use to butcher a steer and can a bunch of it. It is fantastic on mashed potatoes!

Canned 10 pints of pasta sauce the other day, last of the Roma tomatoes. 

Incase you don’t already know you need to pressure can. I’ve done venison in the past. I’ve got some old meat In the freezer I need to do this with. Probably do it this winter. I love it with mash potatoes too, or take the jar dump it all In a pan with some onions (I can mine with onion soup mix) add a little flour to thicken it up and serve it over egg noodles with some parm 

• 5 months later...
On 8/31/2020 at 10:04 AM, Magwa said:

The bone pretty much dissolve I still remove all I see when I open a jar but they are soft and you would never know them from any of the other meat... they probably averaged 12 inches...

Going to do a light brine and smoke on some Lake Trout and Coho Salmon this summer then can them.