Canning anyone??

shepp

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We've been plagued with disease here for our tomatoes for several years. 

They advertise some that are "resistant" to the blight, but I can't seem to grow them these days like we used to.  They start out great, then turn yellow from the bottom up and die out.

A good friend of mine has a "truck patch" that's grown to nearly 20 acres over the past 40 years or so.  He did 1000 tomato plants this year, most of the rest is sweet corn.  I was over there last night picking up 10 dozen for canning today. 

I asked him how he keeps the disease down in the tomatoes, he says "plastic", yep, nothing special just minimizing the plants exposure to the soil around it.........Cliff

40 minutes ago, Cliff R said:

They advertise some that are "resistant" to the blight, but I can't seem to grow them these days like we used to.  They start out great, then turn yellow from the bottom up and die out.

A good friend of mine has a "truck patch" that's grown to nearly 20 acres over the past 40 years or so.  He did 1000 tomato plants this year, most of the rest is sweet corn.  I was over there last night picking up 10 dozen for canning today. 

I asked him how he keeps the disease down in the tomatoes, he says "plastic", yep, nothing special just minimizing the plants exposure to the soil around it.........Cliff

Cliff add some lime to your soil it will stop that blossom rot which is also know as the blight

1 hour ago, Cliff R said:

I’ve got the same issue here......

1 hour ago, Magwa said:

Cliff add some lime to your soil it will stop that blossom rot which is also know as the blight

Mine start to die from the bottom of the plant up, leave turn yellow with black spots, totally different than blossom rot

9 hours ago, Cliff R said:

I asked him how he keeps the disease down in the tomatoes, he says "plastic", yep, nothing special just minimizing the plants exposure to the soil around it.

My little Brother does about 13 acres of veggies for his organic fruit and vegetable business. He uses the same approach, cover the dirt, keep it off the plants, water with drip lines under the cover. He grows mostly heirloom variety tomatoes and doesn't use chemicals. Occasionally he has some small bug problems but no problem with disease. Along with this he rotates the locations regularly.

• 5 weeks later...

8 pints of salsa verde tonight 

went to the farmers market at 0800, got peppers, onions and garlic from a man who has a small family farm near by and sells his stuff so cheap it’s not worth me growing it. 0930 stopped at the liquor store bought some craft brews. 1030 got home washed what i got and picked 5# of tomatillos out the garden. 1100 cracked my first beer and watched the badgers open a can of whoop ass on the wolverines. 1400 started roasting pepper, garlic and onions. 1600 started charing tomatillos. 1700 blended everything and got it simmering 1730 new neighbors invite me over for beers. 2100 get canner going and everything should be locked up by 2230...

47100CC6-4434-4ACA-989E-4FC6C84FAB76.jpeg

A7A627C4-AD04-4A75-B1C5-60B5A2CE0705.jpeg

ECED1278-CFB5-4BC6-B1DD-010827648F70.jpeg

ED79C745-7424-4076-A332-45D10A6A235B.jpeg

686AEE6C-DCF8-46D9-9D51-5A02FFF2E9DE.jpeg

46A75CDD-D266-4908-B47B-F7EBB975F6E4.jpeg

6C4204E1-1557-4879-8398-6CAD6C9079CA.jpeg

Edited by shepp

14 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

Do a lot of grinding and stuffing, beer brats, summer sausage, breakfast sausage, chorizo, landjagger, lean beef burger and bacon burgers-- 15 lbs lean beef trimmings, 5 lbs of bacon, grind together and run through the patty press. Freeze in pairs, quick and tasty on the Weber. 

That’s somthing I’ve been getting more into I’ve done brats and chorizo, but would like to learn how to do more. 

• 11 months later...

My garden has been going nuts this summer so I have been canning too. In July I canned about 14 quarts of dill spears and and 8 quarts of  refrigerator dill chips. Had a bumper crop of spuds so I canned 12 quarts, first time for that. Have 24 pints of salsa up, with more tomatoes on the way.  Tired of eating fresh green beans, so canned 7 pints of those today. Also canned up 7 or 8 pints of Dilly beans. Those are great with beer. Cider vinegar with dill, garlic and red cayenne pepper. Shepp you said you hated to peel tomatoes, you blanch them first? That is better than peeling them raw.  Canning  seems like a lot of work, but sure tastes good. Sorry I don't have any pics of the finished product.

Well we just got through canning 95 1/2 pints of Kokanee salmon there was not spring salmon season this year so I went up on the lake and caught these through out the summer I freeze them and then thaw on canning day skin and then cold smoke for 1 hour then pack in jars and can at 10 lbs pressure for 120 min so we have all the canned salmon we will need for this winter

IMG_20200815_081657381.jpg

IMG_20200815_081639693.jpg

IMG_20200815_093606535_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200816_054400855.jpg