Canning anyone??

shepp

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it was $30 for a 3 pack of the tops plus 4 mason jar mouth size thick glass circles (to hold the veggies down in the mason jar so they don't contact the top). Kickstarter projects are usually pretty good but there have been some that the people lose out on. This one particularly was from a company that was already in business selling other largely related to pickling products on Amazon so it was pretty safe.

Pretty much the idea is that a company (or individual) researches out a product and says "If I had $45,000  I could do a run of 3000 of these covering initial costs as well as materials and at least break even, but have my molds, jigs, etc already covered for future sales" So they start the kickstarter, set the $45,000 as the funding goal and determine themselves at what dollar amount of more or less donation people get what reward. If it doesn't reach the $45,000 in the 30 days, nobodys credit card gets charged. If it does reach it (or goes over by any margin), the business receives their funding less kickstarter's processing fees and is responsible for delivering the orders on the schedule listed. But if they go out of business before delivery somehow? Then its pretty much either going back to your credit card or joining a class action lawsuit.

it was $30 for a 3 pack of the tops plus 4 mason jar mouth size thick glass circles (to hold the veggies down in the mason jar so they don't contact the top). Kickstarter projects are usually pretty good but there have been some that the people lose out on. This one particularly was from a company that was already in business selling other largely related to pickling products on Amazon so it was pretty safe.

Pretty much the idea is that a company (or individual) researches out a product and says "If I had $45,000  I could do a run of 3000 of these covering initial costs as well as materials and at least break even, but have my molds, jigs, etc already covered for future sales" So they start the kickstarter, set the $45,000 as the funding goal and determine themselves at what dollar amount of more or less donation people get what reward. If it doesn't reach the $45,000 in the 30 days, nobodys credit card gets charged. If it does reach it (or goes over by any margin), the business receives their funding less kickstarter's processing fees and is responsible for delivering the orders on the schedule listed. But if they go out of business before delivery somehow? Then its pretty much either going back to your credit card or joining a class action lawsuit.

interesting might have to give that a try

Yep when you can you know it is real food not processed garbage...... my neighbor makes sausage and fresh sauerkraut and we grow horsh radish and make fresh every year just for xmas when we do a big prime rib....

my buddies dad has a huge horse radish patch, he gives me a baby food jar of it every year. Great on beef, also great for clearing head colds!!

Edited by shepp

• 2 years later...

This is one of my favorite parts of thanksgiving turkey. Take carcus (usually break it in half) organs, neck, skin, drippings and put it in a pot with some carrots, celery,Onion with the skins, fenale, cracked pepper, bay leaf, And Tyme. Cover everything in water and keep anding as needed while Simmering it all day, pull the solids out strain and put in the fridge over night. Next day while cold skim the fat off and reheat, while heating prep pressure cooker. Laddle hot liquid into quart jars. And put in pressure cooker, put lid on, vent 10 min, put weight on and let hit 10# if 1000’ or less of sea level 15# if more, set timer 25min when canner hits psi and keep at that psi. After 25 min shut off heat and let psi drop to 0 

the best stock for soups 

96140FEA-833A-4EE7-8602-A09F16985EFD.jpeg

Edited by shepp

6 minutes ago, sketch said:

that makes quite a bit of stalk! do you freeze it or just shelf it?

If you don’t have a pressure cooker you can keep it in the freezer for a year or so, but you need to leave more room to freeze. This is all done in the pressure cooker and will pretty much keep on the shelf for ever

• 8 months later...

A hobby I've had for several years, canning tomatoes and making hot pepper sauce.

I put up about 150 pounds of tomatoes every year, or 6-8 milk crates piled full of them.  My 4 year old grand daughter is a big help.  We do tomato sauce, pizza sauce and spaghetti sauce.

I grow my own hot peppers and put up two or three batches of them as well, which makes about 40-50 jelly jars full.  Nothing brutally hot, just some good heat that sneaks up on you and lets you know you're alive!

This year I blended 4 types together, red chili's (medium heat), Serrano's, pablano's and yellow mild chili's.  They are pulverized in the vita-mixer with distilled vinegar and sea salt for about then minutes, then cooked on the stove for about 20 minutes, then in the canning jars another 20 minutes.   

No exact measurements for the hot sauce but I fill the vita-mixer about 2/3rds to the top with a blend of peppers, then fill it to 3/4 with the distilled vinegar, and about a tablespoon of sea salt......Cliff

IMG_3330.JPG

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_1144.JPG

I remember helping Grandma put up canned tomatoes in those quantities. She didn't do any hot stuff besides a pickled pepper relish that was mildly spicy. I think what I remember most aside from the great sauces made throughout the coming year was how hot it got in the kitchen! No AC, just fans blowing and a ton of steam all day long, usually three or four rounds a season. She put up about 90% of the families vegetables for the year so there were many summer days like that. Enjoy that time with the little one, they will remember.

Canning is easy once you are set-up for it.  Not a huge investment either, just some simple items as shown the pic above.  The biggest thing is being clean and sanitizing everything. 

I make up my own recipes and do grape jelly ever Fall as well.

Grapes didn't fair so well this year, late frost got most of them.......

yes a very rewarding endeavor, we can every year, tomato's,beans lots of beans squash, fish elk and deer meat and of course jelly's and pears and peaches we have a pantry full of food that we can always look forward to canning each year...kinda sad but seems like the older we get the less we can and garden still do it all but much less than before... a great hobby to get into... 

19 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

Just started picking my peaches. Peppers have been crazy this year, I do several varieties and my scotch bonnets are melt your face hot for some reason 😳

Oh man, we always put a handful of jalapenos right up close on a handful of tomatoes. The tomatoes seem to pick up a bit of zing from the peppers. They are soooo good, especially when still green. It's not like a spicy tomato per say, but there's something extra there. Hard to explain without trying it, or we're crazy (very viable possibility lol). We swear by it, and very rarely do those particular tomatoes ever make it to maturity.  

Awesome. My tomatoes have been ok this year but I only did one plant. Chocolate mole pepper, japs, and bonnets this year. Bonnets are only supposed to be around 20k scovilles but I would put these way up around habenero, maybe hotter. I’ve grown many peppers, these are definitely an anomaly 

Damn birds and foxes and squirrels eat all the fruit. My wife thinks feeding the birds will help, but it just seems to bring more birds as far as I can tell. Saved some apricots, but the peaches and nectarines aren’t quite there yet...and the ones that are seem to be bird food.  And we can’t salvage a single cherry off that big tree behind my wife. 

C0F3B1C8-1604-49E0-BB9B-649298B3F870.jpeg

484A345A-3454-4B2F-9BAB-22BB910A9108.jpeg

Edited by DNP

10 minutes ago, DNP said:

Damn birds and foxes and squirrels eat all the fruit. My wife thinks feeding the birds will help, but it just seems to bring more birds as far as I can tell. Saved some apricots, but the peaches and nectarines aren’t quite there yet...and the ones that are seem to be bird food. 

Same here we have 2 small freestone trees that always ripen mid July and were a couple weeks late we picked a couple dozen good ripe juices and left about the same amount to ripen and in one night the whitetail does and squirrels cleaned the trees leaving seeds and tracks as thank yous.

The two big peach cobblers were yummy.

Edited by mrmackc