• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Deer Season

Sisco

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't know Duluth. In northen Minnesota and northern Wisconsin, everybody hunts- Democrats, Republicans, Independents, pacifists, etc.. Wouldn't be surprised if even the vegans hunt. I get a little puzzled sometimes by the polarization in other areas, because up here most the Democrats own guns and hunt. Its a way of life for the last 150 years.

You don't know Duluth. In northen Minnesota and northern Wisconsin, everybody hunts- Democrats, Republicans, Independents, pacifists, etc.. Wouldn't be surprised if even the vegans hunt. I get a little puzzled sometimes by the polarization in other areas, because up here most the Democrats own guns and hunt. Its a way of life for the last 150 years.

yup except the ones next to my buddied cabin Very anti hunting. But the guy we talk to a lot and get water from, he and his wife bleeding heart liberals. Both very nice people we just don't talk politics, Fran was born and raised in the woods around where I hunt, guy hunts/ harvest than a lot of conservatives I know. 

Deers season up here is a way of life a tradition of family and friends no matter what you political views.

ps rut is full tilt down here bucks are running dumb and horny.

Edited by shepp

yup except the ones next to my buddied cabin Very anti hunting. But the guy we talk to a lot and get water from, he and his wife bleeding heart liberals. Both very nice people we just don't talk politics, Fran was born and raised in the woods around where I hunt, guy hunts/ harvest than a lot of conservatives I know. 

Deers season up here is a way of life a tradition of family and friends no matter what you political views.

ps rut is full tilt down here bucks are running dumb and horny.

Exactly, could tell you about a lot of Democrats who enjoy shooting AR's as well. All Dem's are not anti gun. We have to be careful of blanket assumptions. Rut is on here as well witness dumb buck picture in my sons front yard. 

• 2 weeks later...

Packin  for the hunt.....The rut is on and so is the rain/cold....might get a Friday evening hunt in if we get there soon enough....they are calling for rain Saturday with a cold front...oh well, any kind of weather in the Hill Country beats a day in the hood. Watch out bambi....an mk 319 is coming your way   pilgrim with gun emoticon

Wash

Packin  for the hunt.....The rut is on and so is the rain/cold....might get a Friday evening hunt in if we get there soon enough....they are calling for rain Saturday with a cold front...oh well, any kind of weather in the Hill Country beats a day in the hood. Watch out bambi....an mk 319 is coming your way   pilgrim with gun emoticon

Wash

good luck wash tell char good luck for me. Talking 4-8" of snow here tomorrow night. gun season opens Saturday morning, I'm not particapating this year tho

Wash

Good luck Wash.  Saw nothing but Mulies at our lease opening weekend so we will be back in Terrell County the day after Thanksgiving to see if those Mulies have a calendar.

A wise man said this    "Don't pass on a deer the first hour of the first day that you would be glad to shoot the last hour of the last day"

EXACTLY    but I listened to our guide who said " Ive been watching that massive eight and big ten for days at this stand..why dont we wait on something even better" because it was the first hunt after we had just arrived on Friday afternoon     stooopid me....we hunted hard never to "see" another shooter....either too big,too small.or too young...well crap!  The rut was on...fun to watch. this 12 point giant which we couldnt shoot that had to know  that too... he would hang out and scrape the tree and paw the ground...I could have shot him a hundred times over ...heck I could have jumped out and stabbed him with my pocket knife....

We even went out and rattled them up sunday afternoon.....thats wild when they come crashing thru the brush...but could never get a clean shot

never saw another shooter...well, we did but they came out right at dark and it wasnt possible to make a good shot  The ranch was nice, the folks great and we had a great time.. one more time  lol    "Don't pass on a deer the first hour of the first day that you would be glad to shoot the last hour of the last day"   

fake smile smiley     Wash

It's not about the kill it's about the experience! lol 

lesson learned, right?

Passing on two nice bucks will never happen again!  I learned a nice expensive lesson this last weekend.....and drove 7 hours each way to boot....Yeah its the experience    lol       in the back of my mind there was that ol saying...and I let the guide talk me out of  taking that 10 point....well lets think about this...hmmmmm didnt want a doe or a meat deer...didnt want a small buck....couldnt shoot the monster 12's...couldnt shoot the young big 10's

so what was left?   the big 8 the mature big ol 10...and gave em a pass cause the guide sez" oh they will be here everyday"... not ! 

punishment slap emoticon         Wash

Passing on two nice bucks will never happen again!  I learned a nice expensive lesson this last weekend.....and drove 7 hours each way to boot....Yeah its the experience    lol       in the back of my mind there was that ol saying...and I let the guide talk me out of  taking that 10 point....well lets think about this...hmmmmm didnt want a doe or a meat deer...didnt want a small buck....couldnt shoot the monster 12's...couldnt shoot the young big 10's

so what was left?   the big 8 the mature big ol 10...and gave em a pass cause the guide sez" oh they will be here everyday"... not ! 

punishment slap emoticon         Wash

never ever ever in my life would I pass on a 10 point buck ;)

unless unless there was a bigger deer behind him 

Edited by shepp

It is not about the Kill, it is not about the size of the rack, it is NOT about the experience!!!! it is about food there is no reason on this earth to kill another animal for any reason except to eat him the only exception is predators or varmits , I think that hunting has become a recreation, a sport if you will..... and I am ok with that if folks just remember it is about food so next time WASH!!!!!!!! shoot that deer lol I know it would have been good to eat....... seriously that is too bad he did not come back but the young ones always taste better.. :)